What's new

Anybody have a tankless water heater? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
I am curious if to know if any of you had any experience with these. My water heater and furness are in a room so small, I literally have problems getting to the furnace to change the filter. I am concerned about the safety aspect of the current set-up. (Fire hazard, etc.)

Also, how much should I expect to pay for an electric model?

As always, TIA!:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I looked into getting one earlier this year and it ranged from $750 to $1500 for installation and equipment. I ended up not getting one because i'm in a townhome and part of the installation is installing a new vent through the roof of the townhome.

Sounds like a great idea and look forward to getting one when i get a home.

Good luck with yours!

Paul

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I looked also, also at gas. Some require special venting, some can use typical 3" venting like a water heater, just have to watch.
I did not look at electrics though.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Yes. We have two “Tankless” units. Pilot/Gas in home / Electric start/gas in detached garage.

I really cannot remember how much the install in the home cost. We purchased the unit at Home Depot, (around 4oo?) then contracted to have an installer recommended by store, to install. (since this was our first tankless, normally my husband does this stuff, he installed our last 50- gallon traditional tank gas unit)

About a year later we added an electric start (no pilot) gas tank-less to detached garage. Unit (without install) was about 500.

I would not have a pilotless electric start in home as we do lose power due to ice storms every winter. With the electronic pilot in Kitchen, I still have hot water though the house is freezing.

We are in the South, ground water does not reach the lower temps of the north, you need to size the units’ capabilities and BTU’s to your particular area, (they can only bring up ground temp x degrees. You also have to size the units per outlets, count all sink facets/bath shower faucets. And let me know if you have low water pressure in your home and I will further detail the problems that can arise under those circumstances. The Exhaust Vent is critical that it be to code, as these units burn at very high BTU’s, I am sure that in proportion the Carbon Monoxide output levels are higher than standard tanked water heaters. Due to the high BTU’s the closet needs to be well-ventilated, Our vent grate in the closet door in kitchen needs to be enlarged as these units require oxygen to burn. We have a CM sensor among our smoke alarms.

. We are that sold on them. Europe has these down, American plumbers are very much behind the curve, and are a little intimidated by these units.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks