Anybody have a fondness for The Dave Clark Five?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jack Briggs, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Remember the DC5?

Hot on the heals of The Beatles, this party band was the second British import to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show (just weeks after the Fabs).

"Glad All Over" was the group's signature hit, followed by a string of tuneful, hook-laden Top 40 entries.

The band, however, was rooted in an early-'60s mold it could not break out of, and was unable to adjust to the radical changes in the popular-music landscape taking place in 1966-'67. So while everybody else transformed into hippies, the buttoned-down DC5 issued "Because" and then pretty much faded from view.

In 1970, the band formally dissolved.

Yesterday, on a whim, I typed "Dave Clark Five" into the Google engine and browsed a number of memory-lane sites. I was pleased to see that compilation recordings and some original-issue albums are still in print. I just might order a few.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Back as a wee lad I found a stack of 45s that someone had tossed in a ravine, among them DC5's "Do You Love Me/Chaquita." These were a big hit for me back then, but probably my fave among them was Freddy Cannon's "Action". Other artists included BTO, The Guess Who, and several whose labels had come off.

Speaking of DC5, where the hell is Having a Wild Weekend? [​IMG]

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I knew a guy who I learned was personally acquainted with Freddie Cannon, as I had remarked that FC had about the worst voice ever in R'n'R, and he gently chided me for my lack of taste..

But as I was hitchiking one day back in '63, I got picked up by a girl driving an XKE, and "Abigail Beecher" has always been one of my fave songs since then.

As for all the DC 5 hits, I'd still recognize them, tho I never replaced the vinyl edition of the Greatest Hits with a cd. I still think "Because" is a good song, almost as good as Hollies material.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I loved them when I was a kid. I liked the way they recorded what was, apparently, foot stomps on plywood or somethin' like that into the harder rockin' songs. Didn't they get into a flap with the Beatles over who wrote a song?...or is my memory bank malfunctioning?

5. Jack Briggs

Not really. But at the time in question, I remember the controversy the DC5 caused in England when "Glad All Over" knocked "I Want to Hold Your Hand" out of the number one position on the British charts. There was also a flurry of quicky magazines appearing on the stands in March and April revolving around the theme of the DC5 versus the Fab Four.

But the Liverpool band never had any dealings of any sort with Dave Clark and his Five.

You may, however, be misremembering all the talk in 1967 about rumors that it was The Beatles who wrote and recorded the Bee Gees' "(You're a) Holiday." It had "the sound," but the vocals clearly did not belong to Paul McCartney!

6. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I pulled out a 2 disc greatest hits CD a few weeks ago and took a listen. The music is high energy with cheesy lyrics, but they are alot of fun to listen.

Paul

7. Jack Briggs

Jeff, I can't believe I didn't respond to that! Yes, we can at least thank Mr. Boorman for making a contribution to this band's legacy. [​IMG]

8. Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald Stunt Coordinator

First Concert I ever went to, I think I was about 10 and it had such an impact on me I have been to 1,000's of concerts since. They rocked our world back then, also saw Blood Sweat and Tears at the same place and the Little Rascal's.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Jack, that was a good analysis of the career of the DC5. I was 15 in 1964 when the great British Invasion hit our shores. I recall that many guys became Dave Clark Five fans over the Bealtes because the guys were jealous of the attention the girls were giving to the Beatles.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Glad all over rocks!
    I love that song.
    I use to have tons of albums from the "other bands" of the 60s.
    DC5, the action, small faces, the move, the troggs.. all had some great singles back then.
    Even the who when they did 'the batman theme' and silly things like that.
    I was a little young when they came out ans I discovered most in the 70s and 80s.
    I use to make mixed tapes and things like glad all over sounded great next to pump it up or the latest punk/new wave single. People always assumed the song "tent' was by a punk band but actually by the Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band

11. Jack Briggs

Thank you, Marty. I actually waited at the airport with friends of my sister to see the Dave Clark Five arrive. It was fun being young, eh? [​IMG]

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Jack, I didn't subscribe to Tiger Beat but I do remember the journalism rivalry that was created. I thught I remembered them having an actual legal squabble over a tune...it's proably a vague tabloid memory. Best wishes!

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I remember the DC5 on many, many of my older sister's teen mags (Tiger Beat, 16, etc.). No, they ain't (weren't) the Beatles, but they sure could make you tap your feet.

I still have one of their LPs Maybe I'll give it a spin. [​IMG]

Hey, let's not forget "Bits and Pieces"!

Jon