What's new

Anybody have a 54" AKAI or or experience with them (1 Viewer)

JustinPaul

Grip
At sams club they have a 54' akai rptv for $999. Anyone have any input on this set. I really want the 55" hd toshiba they have the 55h70 for $1799 but if it doesnt go on clearence for $1400 and something like it has at other sams its out of my budget.

Any input would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Wow a 54 foot TV? :D As far as the set, I think Akai sets are made by Samsung so if you can find reviews of the 54" Samsung they'll probably be indentical to the Akai.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Justin: The overwhelming consensus in all of home theater--this Forum, the magazines, other forums (yes, they exist), industry professionals, etc.--is that buying a big NTSC-only RPTV simply is not a wise purchase in this era. For a grand, you can do better. Wait and save a little longer and plunge for an ATSC-based RPTV. I cannot stress this enough.

Brad_V

Second Unit
The overwhelming consensus of people on forums such as these to buy an HDTV set is probably because they are overly enthusiastic about HD and try to convince the rest of the world that HD is the greatest thing since sliced bread like they think it is. Yeah, you can watch some primetime stuff in HD now, but the other 50 channels and 20 hours of programming a day and the last 40 years of reruns are still 4:3 analog and will remain that way for quite some time if not forever.

There is no law that says anyone has to broadcast in HD, and in the future, an affiliate may not even broadcast CBS' or whomever's HD feed and instead put four 480p feeds in its place. Non-HD sets are still great buys and will remain so until 16:9 HD material is commonplace. And if that ever happens, it's going to take awhile.

JustinPaul

Grip
I am just trying to keep all of my options open right now. The top one I want is the toshiba 55h70, then the toshiba 50" non-hd, thanks to Brad. And then its up in the air the AKAI for $999 just sounded like a really good deal. I know that Jack thinks I should buy HD which I would like if I could afford, but doesnt anyone else here have any input.

Thanks,

Justin

Mike I

Supporting Actor
No it is not going to take a while for 16.9 Hd to become a reality..IT is here now and to spend that much money on an NTSC set that will be useless in a few years without a box is money not well spent...

Brad_V

Second Unit
I didn't say HD wasn't a reality. I said it wasn't commonplace. And it isn't.

HD is here now *somewhat*. And what does that *somewhat* include? It includes people who don't care at all about ski jumping or bobsledding watching the olympics _only because_ it was some of the only HD content they could find to watch.

And again, no station is required to broadcast _anything_ in HD, and CBS can't force affiliates to broadcast Everybody Loves Raymond or CSI or anything else in HD if they don't want to. Once the whole bandwidth scenario truly comes into play, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see most affiliates airing programs at 480p and only airing HD for special events.

How will an analog set possibly be useless in a few years? That's the kind of scare-mongering I overhear the Best Buy employees telling customers to frighten them into buying an HD set. "Sure, Little Old Lady, you could buy this nice analog set for half the price, but it will have a black screen in 2006." I mean, come on. There is no way the analog signals will be shut off anywhere close to 2006 unless the government passes a new regulation that will shove DTV down the nation's throats and piss off 99% of all TV owners.

Even *if* everything would miraculously be only DTV or HDTV in a few years, a cheap converter box would have to be available or else, again, it would piss off 99% of all TV owners. And if you think a million or two HDTV owners will be mad if DVI ruins their day, imagine how mad all analog owners in the entire country would be if their sets suddenly didn't work.

Besides, if the sky would fall and everything would be HD, those converters would most likely down-convert the HD signal to current DVD-480i quality. And very few people are going to complain about having to watch DVD-480i quality on their "useless" analog sets.

Oh yeah, Justin, compare that Akai 54" to the 54" Samsung at Best Buy. If it is indeed the same TV, that's a good price for the size and a decent 54" picture. It's definitely soft on the focus, but for $999 at Sam's, not a bad deal on a "decent" TV of that size.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Many of the top producers of RPTV's are dropping their analog tv's by the end of the year...If you spend that much money on an anolog set, good luck getting parts in the future. Some people try justify why they bought analog with information that is out dated and not relevent

Brad_V

Second Unit
If manufacturers drop their analog sets next year, which would be a surprise, then I guess people better buy them while they can so they don't have to fork over twice the money for an HD set they may not get much extra use out of.

"Good luck getting parts in the future." You're just scare-mongering like those Best Buy employees I mentioned. Even if some kind of magical parts shortage would happen, people almost always put extended warranties on RPTVs because they are afraid of the technology, and even moreso are afraid of an HD set breaking, so an extended warranty will make ANY set good for four or five years minimum.

That's also part of the beauty of a cheaper analog set. People don't feel as great a need to pay for an extended warranty on them because even if they break they didn't cost that much in the first place and pretty much anyone can fix them.

And if you want to talk about parts and breaking, then you have to include HD sets. That's one of the tricks I hear my local BB guys use all the time to sell the extended warranties. "You know, HD sets have very expensive parts in them, and there are only two people in the entire state who can fix them, so I strongly suggest you get the extended warranty for it to have peace of mind because if it breaks it's going to cost a LOT." Meanwhile, if a non-HD RPTV set breaks, just about any mom-and-pop TV shop can fix the thing.

You say people try to justify having bought an outdated set. I say people try to justify having paid twice as much for a set that many of them hardly use the capabilities of. Most HDTV owners don't even have HD receivers for them and justify their purchase by saying how much better DVDs look in 480p than 480i and how "cool-looking" a widescreen looks in the living room. That's all great, and sure it's a little better picture, but it doesn't mean an analog TV isn't still a viable choice -- especially at the lower price.

High-Definition is what is not relevant to most people. It is relevant to Home Theater junkies who want the best available picture and are willing to spend the money to get it. HD isn't even relevant to the Fox network.

And besides, all that aside, Justin doesn't have the cash for a big HD set at the moment, and if he buys an analog big-screen to fit his current budget he'll probably give it to his dad in two years anyway. And THEN he can buy whatever set he wants at the time.

And who knows, maybe by then there'll actually be a DVI standard. Don't forget that one, too... any HD set bought now has a chance of being "obsolete" itself. So if someone has the choice between two "obsolete" TVs, an analog and a non-DVI HD, I'd say erring on the side of caution and cheapness wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Ok what ever you say...
A 1400 dollar Digital 50 inch set or a 1200 dollar analog set....oh yea that is double the price. :angry:

JustinPaul

Grip
Mike,

WHere and what 50" hdtv can I get for 1400? That sounds like a really good deal can you giv me details?

Thanks,

Justin Sargent

Brad_V

Second Unit
Yes, by all means, tell us where we can buy a 50" HDTV *with* an HD receiver for $1400 -- because without the receiver it's next to useless. Hell, for that price, I'll buy two of them.

Brad_V

Second Unit
It's been over four days now, and still no place where the masses can buy a 50" HDTV for $1400?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
You know Brad your a pretty scarcastic know it all, try looking in the paper or the internet...I have found a 27 in HD ready set for as little as 899...I have have not been here for 4 days because I have better things to do than argue with you who thinks they know it all..

Fred K

Auditioning
HDTV is great right now! Great if you can receive it OTA. Otherwise, you better be a BIG fan of hockey or lacrosse, or HD movies that you probably already own as DVDs.

While somewhere around 64% of transmitted content is digital right now, the penetration of HD signals is, what, about 2%; a negligible fraction of U.S. households and unlikely to grow much given the high cost of the receiving equipment- HDTVs, receivers, DSS & DS-HD cable.

Anybody that thinks that HDTV is the wave of the future in their lifetime needs to get real.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
COMCAST TO DEBUT HDTV IN MAJOR MARKETS BY END OF 2002

Thursday, March 14, 2002

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Comcast Cable Communications today announced that it will make high-definition TV (HDTV) programming available to subscribers in major markets served by Comcast by the end of 2002, beginning in the Washington Metro/Virginia region this summer.

Comcast was one of the first cable companies to offer HDTV to customers, deploying it on systems in the Philadelphia market late last year.

HDTV technology provides video and audio that is clearer, sharper and more vibrant than previous video transmission systems. HDTV programming from major broadcast television networks and from premium cable services HBO and Showtime will be offered on Comcast systems.

Comcast will introduce HDTV in the Washington Metro/Virginia region to cable subscribers in Northern Virginia in mid-2002. Comcast will extend HDTV to the Maryland suburbs during the second half of the year, along with Detroit, MI, and Indianapolis, IN, and will make HDTV available in the city of Washington, D.C. in 2003. Details of local HDTV packages will be announced in coming weeks.

Comcast’s HDTV service in the Washington DC region will include the high-definition broadcast signal of WETA-HD (the digital station operated by Washington’s leading public broadcaster) and Comcast SportsNet.

Comcast SportsNet will offer more than 200 professional sporting events in HDTV annually starting in 2003, about half in the Philadelphia market, and half in the Baltimore/Washington, DC markets. HDTV coverage will include games featuring the Philadelphia Phillies, Flyers and 76ers as well as the Baltimore Orioles, Washington Wizards and Capitals.

“We think the time is right to launch high definition television in major Comcast markets,” said Comcast Cable President Steve Burke. “The hours of available HDTV programming are on the rise and the price of HDTV sets has dropped. Viewers want HDTV and Comcast will be the place to get it.”

“With the exciting addition of HDTV sports through Comcast SportsNet and the cooperation of broadcasters, manufacturers and retailers in making HDTV available, we think we can help HDTV to take a big step forward,” Burke added.

“We are pleased to partner with Comcast to provide more service and quality programming to the Greater Washington community than ever before,” said Sharon Percy Rockefeller, president and CEO of WETA. “As a leader in HDTV in the public broadcasting industry, we have long sought to expand the reach of our high definition programming. This partnership will also enable WETA to provide enhanced standard definition program services. We applaud Comcast for making these services available to its customers.”

“Being able to see our games in high definition television is like offering our fans a whole new way to watch the teams,” said Ted Leonsis, majority owner of the NHL Washington Capitals. “When Comcast SportsNet entered this market, I knew it would translate into great things for our fans and for the sports scene in Washington. They are great partners who are always looking for ways to improve the fan experience. Taking the lead in offering this level of quality television is one such way.”

“Comcast's decision to offer high-definition programming over cable is a terrific boost to the digital TV transition, and it builds on the success Comcast has already enjoyed with HDTV services in the Philadelphia area," said Enrique Rodriguez, Executive Vice President of Broadband Access Products and Services for Thomson Multimedia. "Thousands of consumers have already purchased RCA HDTV monitors and sets produced by Thomson, and many cable customers are looking forward to HDTV programming. Comcast has our complete support for this expanded HDTV programming offering."

Copyright Comcast.com
Yep there is no market for HDTV..it is going no where..

Brad_V

Second Unit
I wasn't being sarcastic until you were first, Mike. "Oh yea... $1400 is double $1200...." And then putting your mean little red face there. I'd call that being sarcastic and hostile. We were just having a spirited discussion, but then you ran out of things to support your case, so you turned to sarcasm and hostility.

It would be one thing if you were actually right on the subject and could back it up, but you're not and you can't, and you know it. You gave me the mean red face about it, so come on, tell us all where to find a decent 50" HDTV for $1400.

Heck, tell us where to find one even without the HD tuner. COST on something like the 47" wide or 51" 4:3 Panasonic is at least $1375 at most places, so unless you can tell everyone where to get something like that at cost, then it's simply not possible for the average person to get one for $1400. Onecall was clearancing out the 47" Samsungs, but even on clearance they were like $1550.

Some people *have* gotten Sears to pricematch some pretty crazy prices, but not $1400.

So the next time YOU act like a sarcastic know-it-all and give someone the mean little red face, first make sure you're right about what you're saying. If you can't tell everyone here where the average person can get a decent 50" HD set for $1400, then you have no business writing sarcastically and giving me a mean little red face and then calling *me* a sarcastic know-it-all when I reply to you in kind.

All of this is just television gabbing anyway and nobody really cares if someone is wrong about something, but instead of sticking to your guns when your guns are wrong, instead try just saying, "Oops, I was wrong. My bad." instead of giving people sarcasm and mean little faces.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Gee, this is starting to get nasty.

In my case, I bought a 16/9 HD capable rptv solely to watch anamorphic dvds in thier progressively scanned glory, with little or no thought about HDTV.

I had a top-of-the line 4/3 analog rptv, an Hitachi 53UWX59B, virtually the same set Consumer Reports rated their top pick for analog rptvs. I paid 2300 for this set in October of 99.

Today one can buy a 50-53" 16/9 rptv for about the same price which will blow that set away for dvd or other Home Theater use, and is at least as good for regular tv from any decent signal.

There are still a couple or 3 circumstances in which a 4/3 analog set is a better choice:

1--one does not care about getting the best performance for dvd.

2--one is much more concerned with getting the best picture quality when watching conventional tv fare and sports from a poor signal source.

3--the set is for use by aging parents who don't want to be concerned with the arcane mysterys of dvd, HD, etc., simply need a bigger screen to compensate for failing eyesight.

These are all perfectly legitimate scenarios, and I do not mean to put down folks with these priorities in any way.

My own parents fit in category 3 and I would consider an HD-ready set to be a waste of money for them.

I don't think those in the first 2 categories, who's priorities in a tv don't really fit the context of what's best for home theater use, should be discouraging others who are interested in great home theater performance from purchasing what fits that requirement.

Out of curiosity and perhaps a foolish desire to be on the bleeding edge, I did later purchase an HD box for my set, and in this backwater market only get 2 satellite channels and one local ota channel that's a bit glitchy. My other locals should be up by the end of the year, however. I am blown away by the quality of what little HD stuff I can get, and look forward to much more in the future. In my case, the box may not have been the best investment, but the tv's superior performance on dvd was worth the extra cost of the set even if I never got into HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks