Anybody got that "overwhelmed" feeling with the consoles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Mar 5, 2000
    Hear me out. I love gaming but as I get a little older I find it harder and harder to spend much time with my computer, PS2, newly acquired GCN and X-box. I don't have kids yet (working on it). But I find myself often buying way more games than I even have time to play. As soon as I finish one there are four more at EB that I want. This isn't a bad thing - gaming is really coming into its own after a couple of blah years. Im currently working on Jak and Daxter and only have about another hour or so to go but I have Halo, Rogue Leader II and Final Fantasy X that I haven't even touched. I also have Max Payne for PS2 which is a stinker so that doesn't count. I definitely try to finish a game before I begin a new one. Does anyone else have this problem - albeit a good one?
  2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Oct 23, 2000
    I would, but I have a wife with some very strict bugeting skills [​IMG] to keep me in check.
  3. Michael Tucker

Jan 12, 2000
    Boy do I ever. I purchased a PS2 a couple of months ago. In anticipation of receiving the system I purchased the following titles...

Metal Gear Solid 2

Grand Theft Auto 3

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

Rayman 2 (that's a lot of sequels)

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Vagrant Story

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy Tactics

Plus I still have a small stack of Dreamcast titles I need to get through. It's tough fitting all that in with a full-time job and a wife to take care of. It is slightly overwhelming. Especially when some of these games are going to take 20+ hours to complete, and like you, I like to try to complete a game before I move to another.
  4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oct 16, 2000
    I try to buy one game at a time, and if I don't get a game within around 2 months of it coming out, I just skip it and hope to either see it somewhere cheap or for a friend to lend it to me.

Also, I am a High School student, so I have more free cash and time.
  5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

May 6, 1999
    Carl III
    I have more toys than time which is why I decided to hold off on a new console till after I squeezed every last drop of fun out of the Dreamcast. I'll probably break down and get an X-Box sometime within the next month or so.
  6. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

Oct 20, 2000
    I never finish a game any more. I haven't even finished Deus Ex or EVEN Half Life yet for crying out loud.

Worse, I don't have the patience for flight sims even though I buy them. I never spent much time (maybe an hour apiece) with IL-2, Falcon 4, European Air War, FA/18..oh the horror. Flight Simming was my bread and butter for a long time.

Then there's Ultima Online. I have friends from all over the world who miss me very much and I have promised to play with them for years and I never do very much, just a bit every so often.

Because I'm on the new game that I just bought.

Dark Age of Camelot - what a great game, don't spend any more time on it...

Anarchy Online - sent me a 30 day free reactivation, spent an hour with it.

Because I'm on the newest game I just bought...

it goes on and on.

I'm starting to feel like a gameaholic.

Maybe I should take a week or two off and finish some of this crap.
  7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Dec 9, 2000
    I have to agree with this thread in a big way! Here are the games I got for Christmas:

1. GTA3

2. WWF Smackdown

3. MGS2

4. Pikmin

5. Super Smash Brothers Melee

So far I've really only settled down with GTA3 and Pikmin. Too many games too little time.

-Andre F
  8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Feb 27, 2001
    I have only finished 3 out of the last 10 games I bought, though I am working on number 4(FFX) right now.
  9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Sep 2, 1999
    I spend a good bit of money on games and I spend a good bit of time on them also.
    I buy allot of games that I dont play for quite a bit but I have them there for when I am done playing what I am currently playing. Of course I could hold off on buying them all together but hell why bother...I dont mind buying it now and playing it later.
    I work nights and I get home about 11:30..My woman goes to bed shortly after so I got the whole night to do as I please on most days. (except for when my duties as a loving man must be fullfilled[​IMG], not like Im arguing[​IMG]). I usually dont go to bed till about 6:30-7:00am on weekdays. Weekends are devoted to my lady except when she gives me the go ahead to do some gaming but I dont do too much of it (that is my Dark Age and Anarchy Online time[​IMG]).
    For me I pick about 2-3 games to devote my time too. I usually switch off every night with a different game until I have all 2-3 of those beat and move onto the next ones. There are times when a game just enthralls me too much to just move on to another one but there have been times when I have had 5 different games going. Those usually last me a good amount of time (1-2 months). When I beat one I start up anther one. (Marathon gaming[​IMG]) Of course I also find time to watch movies I buy and do other stuff (man I wish there were 32 hour days or something!)
    I'm pretty good about console games. I have most of my console titles beat. I haven't beaten GTA3 or Devil May Cry just yet and I have some straggler PS1 games I have to get too but most of the titles I have are beaten.
    PC games are a totally different story. I have PC games from 2 years ago I havent beaten yet. PC games usually take large amounts of time to beat so I have to play them in spurts. I like this about PC games though cause I know I have them as back up in case I really dont have much to play at any given time.
    Its easy to get overwhelmed but you just gotta "game budget" your time. Also if you buy something you dont plan on playing immediately dont sweat it. Just consider it backup. Thats what I do.
  10. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually I find as I get older I must be getting less coordinated [​IMG] I just picked up a GC for the kids and boy! too many damn buttons... I cannot wrap my head around what to push when! I long for the days of 2600, just one 8 direction joystick and 1 fire button!!!
  11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Apr 29, 2000

Dan Brecher Producer

Jan 8, 1999
    I'm most certainly overwhelmed by the mass of new games and consoles. For the first time in over five years I'm back into videogames in a big way having imported a gamecube, FINALLY planning to get a PS2 this weekend, and now looking set to pre-order a UK X-Box for it's March 14th release.

Dan (UK)
  13. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

Nov 12, 2001
    I just bought a Xbox, my last console was Intellivision. Various PCs have filled the gap in between.

As a guy that is AWFUL with games like Half-Life I found HALO to be a thing of beauty. Set it on Easy mode and even I can make progress at a good clip and have it be a very enjoyable game. There are really no impossible puzzles, your biggest strategy is using the terrain to fight the aliens, a very enjoyable game.

Yes I understand the investment in time to finish these "quest" games. I'm a very avid sports game fan (hence the Intellivison) so I find mixing playing time with sports games where the outcome is much quicker keeps me from getting into too many different games.
  14. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Jan 2, 2001
    I currently have a Saturn, N64, (PSOne) PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube and a PC. I also work in the games industry. I buy way to many games (but I'm a picky gamer). The last game I beat was Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2. Stayed up all night beating that game [​IMG] 11 hours total (If you like a good Gauntlet style hack and slash, this game rocks).
    Currently playing:
    Dark Age of Camelot (well until they fix a few things I'm not playing).
    Devil May Cry
    Unreal Tournament (everyday)
    Unreal Championship [​IMG]
    Rogue Squadron
    Super Monkey Ball