Anybody got an ONKYO TX-DS797?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason P. Brett, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Jason P. Brett

I've got an ONKYO 575 that works great, but unfortunately I've outgrown it over the last few years. The new 797 is my first pick for a new receiver and I was wondering if any of you folks might have one and be willing to discuss its strengths and shortcomings. I'd also be glad to hear from anyone else with a competing receiver in the same price bracket ($800-1200). The rest of my system includes B&W DM601 and CC6 speakers (series 1; these could very well be upgraded to DM603 s3 and one of the new centers before the year is out), NHT super zeroes for surround, a Velodyne VX-1215 sub, Pioneer DV-414 DVD player and CLD-D406 LD player, a Proscan PS36600 direct-view TV, a Sony PS2 and Nintento Gamecube. Thanks!

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I was in a similar situation last month, I had outgrown my Pioneer VSX-D509S, which well, sucked. I have 4ohm tower speakers in the front, and it had a hard time driving them. I was origonally going for a Denon 2802 or Onkyo 696, but I decided I coudl spend a bit more, so looked into the Onkyo 797 and Denon 3802. If you want 7 channels of amplification, the you have to go with the Denon, but don't forget that the 797 is THX certified and has THX Surround EX post processing. The 797 is a 6.1 channel receiver, but has 7.1 pre-outputs. Also, the 797 has several more, three more digital inputs than the 3802. It also has inputs on the front panel for those gaming systems of yours. You may want to consider Yamaha, but again, Yamaha is not THX certified either, and the sound of the 797 in stereo and surround is much clearer. The 797 has excellent stereo sound, and really good channel separation in surround becasue of it's 192khz/24bit DAC's as oppossed to Denon and Yamaha's 96khz/24bit DAC's. Any questions about the nit-picky things, e-mail me.

3. Jason P. Brett

Thanks, Kyle. It's those digital inputs that I really need more than anything else. The 575 only has 3 (two co-ax, one optical), so I've had to sacrifice using the digital output from the PS2 in favor of the LD player. The THX certification also interests me, not so much for the processing but for the guarantee of solid amplification. I can only imagine that the new towers I'm thinking about will be substantially more power hungry than the small monitors I'm curretly using. The higher resolution DAC's are also great (my 575 has the same ones). Thanks for letting me know how the 797 compares to the Yamaha.

Jason