Anybody Got An Ark ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LewB, May 31, 2003.

1. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Anyone else here in the north-east have the feeling that this summer is going to be a waste ? I realize the the rain totals for the last few years have been lower than normal but this is starting to get ridiculous [​IMG]

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I think the last weekend in May is a little early to be making any quality assessments on the summer...

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Joel, if you lived in the Northeast, you would realize where this is coming from. It's literally rained at least a little bit of every day of the last three weeks or so up here, and right now, it's POURING...just like it did on Memorial Day.

4. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

I hear you guys... I hear you...

Usually by end-of-may I've attended a couple of BBQ's, broken out the rollerblades, and had some kind of outdoor fun that involves shorts, sunglasses, and physical activity. This year however looks very very depressing. I'm the kind of person that LIVES for the summertime. I'm at my best when the sun's out and the climate is nice and warm... otherwise I'm Mr. Down & Out.

We're at the end of may/beginning of June, and the best we've had is an average of 16 degrees, grey skies, and 4 or 5 rainy days during the week. What's the deal here? Is it going to rain ALL summer?

It just seems to me that summer has yet to start. The weather is just crappy, ESPECIALLY on weekends. As I type this, it's damp and cool outside (the temperature has dropped to 5 degrees). I wore a sweater outside today to an egagement party that was planned to be outdoors, but was moved indoors because of the rain.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a bit better, but I'll believe it when I see it. The weather forecast is calling for a rainy tuesday, wednesday & thursday. Sigh. Oh summer, where art thou?

Moe.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

One of the NY Daily News columnist was complaining about how the "unofficial start of summer" gives a bad rap to perfectly seasonal weather... people expect everything to be bright and shiny during and after memorial day.

But yeah, it does suck up here. I have found myself surprisingly affected by the weather in the last year or so, enough for SAD to cross my mind.

--
    Holadem

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Around here we didn't get spring this year. It was cold and rainy until about two weeks ago. Then it got really hot. Directly from winter to summer - that's two years in a row now.....[​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Yep, summer doesn't even start until around June 20, so I wouldn't start worrying just yet.

I'm enjoying the weather. Last spring/summer was ridiculously hot for New England. If you want heat, move to Florida or Arizona. This is much more like normal. [​IMG]

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

In Pennsylvania, it rained 22 days in May. Only 9 days without rain. I recall just one weekend day, a Sunday about two weeks ago when it didn't rain. Sure, it shouldn't be summer-like, but it should be sunny and 70's most of the time...

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I remember going to a wedding last June 1st and sweating my ass off. It's hard to believe this is the same time of year. Mother Nature has no excuse, I don't mind the fact that it's not super hot out yet, but how about some non-rainy days? How am I supposed to do my desparately needed yard work if the grass is always wet, along with everything else outside?

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My brother had a wedding today in Wolcott, CT. It was BEAUTIFUL out yesterday, it was ok ALL day, but when it came down to the last hour before the ceremony (which was supposed to be outside), it started raining. A few hours later, it stopped. [​IMG] It rained during the 2 hour time period in which we needed it NOT to rain.

Damn rain. I'm getting sick of it too.

11. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Chalk another weekend up to steady rain, ruining yet another barbeque. This sucks. [​IMG]

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It's picture perfect beach weather down here today. [​IMG]

13. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Add the Mid-Atlantic area to the drenched east. It seems like it rained every day in May. I think we may have had two 80 degree days. In May here, the average temperature is about 80. We did get lucky this weekend. The weather turned out to be much better than advertised. It was still cool and it rained on Saturday (thunderstorms) but we were able to do things outside.

14. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

at least we wont have a drought :)

capt

15. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Monday morning report: Back to work , Not a cloud in the sky ! Mother nature is a @#$%

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I heard on the forecast that even though we got all this rain in May, it's still under the normal precipitation for this month. Alot of the rain we did get in May was very spotty and very light. The weather forecasters always overdo the storms around NYC. They'll predict doom and gloom when all we'd get is scattered showers. Memorial Day was like that.

So far, Monday is becoming a nice day, cooler than normal but the sun is out.

Jay

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't know about summer, but spring has been a total washout, and cold as hell. It's June 2, and Manhattan temperatures are currently in the 50s (though the sun should warm it up today). This is a serious annoyance in a city where most people live in apartments and heat is controlled centrally (which means that it's been off since mid-April).

M.

18. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

Agreed...here in Richmond 23/31 May days had rain. Company picninc canceled on Saturday due to the random thunderstorms that rolled through...8.5" of rainfall in May compared to about 4.5" for normal...

It is pretty weird compared to last summer when it was dry as a bone...should have known we were in for it when we even had SNOW here during the winter...

Grass looks pretty good though, so I can't complain...just takes forever to cut since it really never seems to dry out...

Here's to more sunny days...beautiful here today-as I stand up, look over the cube wall, down the hall and out the door..what a view [​IMG]

19. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Yes, it's looking to be a very nice, warm and sunny MONDAY, as far as I can tell from my office window. [​IMG]

Moe.

20. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

My house was 61 degrees this morning. It's June and we had to put the heat on!

When I look out my kitchen window I don't see one person in my neighborhood who has uncovered their pool (me included). This has always been a Memorial Weekend ritual, but not this year. Boo! [​IMG]