1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody gone ultrawide for monitor?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ManW_TheUncool, Jan 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Well, I’m so all-in on my dual monitors I don’t want to live without them. All three computers I work on regularly have dual monitors.

2. Message #22 of 27 Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Maybe what I could really use is a squarish 1440p monitor to complement the 27” QHD NEC. Something that let’s me keep another app (like browser) plus few small items opened — I always keep Win Task Manager’s performance monitoring, summary charts view open in upper-right corner for instance.

OTOH, maybe it’d be good to just have the NEC dedicated only to color-critical tasks so it might last longer before needing replacement — it’s pretty expensive afterall... Of course, if I’m remoting into the new build a lot more than not for stuff other than occasional PS PP and sporadic gaming, then that won’t be an issue anyway...

And no doubt, I’ll eventually be tempted to get something 14-bit (or at least fully N-Log capable), truly HDR10, etc for video stuff, LOL, even if nothing fast synching/response, high refresh for gaming...:P

_Man_

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I never liked the ultra wide monitors. At work, I use three 24” Dell 1080p monitors on my Windows workstation. One stays on email, and the other two are a constant rotation of Excel sheets, Word docs, PDFs, and web browsers. I also have a 27” monitor that’s 90° off from the other three that I use with my MacBook Pro.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    In retirement I find a single 32" 1080P monitor sufficient. But I'm cheap.

What's important is the stand to get the center of the monitor at sitting eye level. I've had good luck with this thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XV1MMNY/

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The new Dell ultrawide looks pretty good so far... certainly seems plenty good for most of what I got it...

It does have a fair amount of backlight bleed around the corners, especially the lower corners, but seems not too bad for typical normal uses... just not for filling the entire screen w/ scope movies though... and maybe I'm also just not generally bothered by IPS/LCD glow -- I haven't critically checked for it.

Out-of-box color/grayscale seems pretty good. At first, I thought it looked a tad pink/orange-ish, but turns out it's probably actually my prescription lenses adding a slight tint/cast I had previously overlooked -- it's probably filtering a slight bit of blue as it generally does (even more) w/ sunlight.

Now I wonder if I should just get diff lenses for color-critial stuff... Actually maybe just some neutral color reading glasses might work nowadays... :P though I apparently do have a fair amount of astigmatism (and not actually that much myopia)...

A little disappointed w/ the remoting aspect I was hoping to work out. Win RDC seems to insist on rearranging my desktop somewhat to its automatically determined arrangement everytime -- it mostly seems to not allow me to keep stuff up against or near the right border and maybe also the bottom. Maybe I should just use a diff Win account for remoting purposes... but the other bigger issue is the video compression used by RDC that likely renders video editing a no-go for the most part... :unsure:

Meanwhile, I came across the idea of using Thunderbolt 3 to run a long-ish (optical TB3) cable between machine and display (and its USB hub and usual input devices). This Dell ultrawide (unlike the quickly sold-out LG I mentioned earlier) doesn't have TB3, but I do actually have an old Dell TB3 dock (that I originally bought for an XPS 15 laptop)...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-business-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-with-180w-adapter/apd/452-bcnp/pc-accessories

Not sure I can really justify the expense of a long optical TB3 cable plus running it thru floor/ceiling between the 2 rooms (even though they are right on top of each other)... but it would also allow me to move my 27" NEC and most other small stuff to the home office instead.

Yes, my new build does have TB3 capability built into the mobo... though it might be tricky getting all that to work out properly -- there seems some potential issues w/ proprietary implementation at least in ASRock's case.

Of course, using TB3 that way probably means any gaming won't likely benefit from the new GPU inside the machine... unless I try this kinda DIY rig perhaps? :P

http://www.youtube.com/wQMCvQ01e80?t=16m39s

_Man_

6. Message #26 of 27 Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I'll probably give this a try w/ the ultrawide...

NOTE though he's actually using a super-ultrawide(!) 32:9 display there, not just ultrawide.

He also previously recommended DisplayFusion (for ~$50?) for this, but seems to think this free solution works well enough (or maybe better) afterall...

For 27" QHD and smaller, I never found tiling windows to be compelling. I mean a little bit of tiling w/in a dev/IDE app like Visual Studio or some video editing software makes enough sense to me, but tiling say MS Word, Excel, whichever web browser, Win Explorer, etc all into one QHD-or-less screen? Splitting just 2 of those evenly in QHD is fine, but I usually like to keep some other small items (at least partially) visible and quickly accessible w/out digging into the Task Bar, etc -- and I generally keep my Task Bar hidden... though I suppose QHD does afford just enough vertical rez to leave it unhidden... I'm also used to leaving the left couple columns of most essential desktop icons visible/accessible... while allowing diff windows apps to overlap somewhat in essentially fixed positions -- vestiges of managing w/ single display, smaller/lower-rez desktops for so long I guess...

So maybe it's time to consider a change... and trying this out w/ the ultrawide...

Yes, this could also be done w/ multi-display setup, but they are less flexible though... and you can't really have a fairly centered work window/app unless you're running 3-plus displays (or maybe have 1 wide to pair w/ 1 squarish one) and would still have less flexibility...

_Man_

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Well, that's gotta be by far the smoothest, most pleasant rebate experience I've ever had... :cool::D Fingers still crossed I suppose since I haven't actually received the $250 prepaid Visa (debit?) (e?)card yet -- there's a 30-day total wait period after submission.

I submitted the online claim form/request on late Tues night, and received email very next day (yesterday) the claim has been processed and the Visa card to be expected in 28 days (probably because they generally promise 2-day processing time). And they provided a link for checking status on the claim.

And for the claim itself, only proof of purchase needed was digital copy of B&H's (downloadable) invoice -- no need to mess w/ UPC cutout and such -- which was detailed ahead of time... though the claim page/site itself wasn't active until the first possible claim submission date (near the end of the offer window).

:rock:

_Man_