Anybody going to buy "The Cars" dvd-audio on the 23rd?

Discussion in 'Music' started by LanceJ, Sep 18, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

After searching the Net several times the last few weeks, I can't find anything on this title, except for the release date. And the only place that seems to be selling it is this site: The Cars at buydvd.com, which I've never heard of. And Circuit City isn't selling it--confusing. Do I just have bad taste or something?

Does anybody know ANYTHING about this disc?

The Cars were my first music group I totally got into waaaaay back in 1982--buying all their albums within a month of buying just one (Candy-O) and they were the first concert I ever went to, and I still have the t-shirt! So I am just a teensy bit interested in this hi-res version of their debut album. It still sounds quite fresh to me; how can a line like "you got your nuclear boots and your drip dry gloves" ever get dated? [​IMG] And of secondary importance, this album sounds very good (I think there is a gold DCC version of it too) so it would be interesting to see what it sounds like in hi-res PCM, particularly the surround tracks. They used quite a few "fun" sound effects on this album mixed with plain old rock-n-roll guitar techniques (I never could classify their music very well). And I really want to hear how the 5.1 mix of one of my favorite tracks, "Moving In Stereo/All Mixed Up", was done.

This is the album (CD version) here.

This album--and all those REM discs being released at the same time--seem to have gotten lost amid all the news about the Flaming Lips dvd-audio (which I would like to buy also).

Any thoughts about this?

LJ

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I had no idea this was coming out, but I will snag it as soon as I see it. The Cars' albums were always very well recorded and I think there's a lot of good 5.1 potential there.

Which REM albums are getting the DVD-A treatment?

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

According to digitalaudioguide.com:

* Green
    * Monster
    * Out of Time
    * New Adventures In Hi-Fi
    * Up

Hope your credit card isn't maxxed out!

LJ

4. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Crap! (thanks anyway for the info Alan)

I was wondering why there wasn't any talk or rumors about this. I know the Cars aren't huge like the Stones, but they sure aren't an obscure group either.

And anyway, for marketing reasons I always thought Heartbeat City was a better choice for their first dvd-audio release. I like that album too, but not quite as much since it's a little too poppy and processed sounding for me.

The ultimate Cars album IMO for surround mixing is Panorama. Not as commercially successful as their other albums (relatively speaking) but fun to listen to with its unpredictable & spacey style. It's my third favorite Cars album. "Touch and Go" played on a system with a good subwoofer is awesome!! That between-choruses drum part must have taken some practice to play correctly--it's really weird (but cool) sounding. Unfortunately the sound samples don't contain this part--does anybody know what I'm speaking of & can explain how it's being played? And with the track "You Wear Those Eyes" I can easily see it being mixed into an airy fog of synthesizers floating around the listner. Ric Ocasek (Cars lead singer) was recently given a high-level position at Elektra, so I'm hoping that will somehow speed up the release of more Cars in surround form.

LJ

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'll buy it if it ever comes out.

7. charles white

charles white Second Unit

If any Cars album makes it to DVD-A, I would probably get Candy O and Heartbeat City . Particularly with the latter, it's so densely layered that it's primed for a unique surround mix. I just wouldn't count on any assistance from Robert "Mutt" Lange; he's too busy steering Shania Twain's career.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Anybody know if this dvd-audio is still going to be released?

It seems to have disappeared from the schedules I've seen lately. [​IMG]

LJ