Anybody going to buy Hitman 2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

This game looks awesome. It looks to be an intelligent shooter game, not just a run and gun blow em away game. I have read about it for awhile now and my local software store just got it in. I am just wondering if I should pick it up after work. Any suggestions?

2. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Oh by the way, I have the PS2. I don't know if that really matters or not but just thought I would let you know.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I was looking for preliminary reviews on the majority of the game sites but came up empty handed.

I want to pick this one up also, but want to at least hear a couple of people's input first.

I'm getting the Xbox version.

Troy

4. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I loved the first Hitman so, needless to say, I've been stalking my local EB to see when they'd have it in. Today I slept in a bit and got over to the mall at noon and there it was, waiting for me. I got home and have been playing ever since (currently on mission 4 - Normal difficulty). Heres a little mini-review.
    The Good -
    -The game looks and feels like Hitman 1, which is good, but there have been some vast improvements. Most importantly once you get an enemys clothes you can still be easily detected by other enemies if you get close enough to you (a great touch since in H1 once you got an enemies clothes you were good to go).
    -Another nice addition to the gameplay is your weapon stash. After every mission you return to your hideout which has a weapons room. While the agency will supply you with weapons for every mission you can also choose to bring any gun / item from your collection that you want (you start with the basic pistols, fiber wire,) BUT the only way to add to your collection is to bring items back from missions. Very neat. The weapons in your shed can also be used in between missions for practive purposes.
    -Lots of different ways to do every mission and a cool rating system that rates you on each individual mission as well as overall.
    -21 Missions! This is awesome, but the missions seem...smaller than in Hitman 1. Its more like, get in, do your job, get out. Hitman 1 seemed more involved, with changing objectives and larger levels. But I'm only on M 4 so this could change very quickly.
    The Bad -
    - As far as the graphics go everything is really good looking with one exception - CARS. Cars look HORRIBLE in Hitman 2 and I'm not sure why. They're completly box based, they seem to small for the enemies, and they lack a lot of the detail that the rest of the game has (this doesnt apply to all cars - only ones you see moving in the game (not in cutscenes). For example in Mission 1 the delivery boys car looks really bad, (in M2) the Soviet trucks that dont move look really good).
    Thats all I got for now, I gotta play more. I'm loving it so far. The only really bad news? I have 2 midterms on friday that I have a ton of reading for [​IMG]
    BTW, I'm playing the PC version
    JQ

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Cool, this game sounds like one I would enjoy. I think I will go ahead and pick it up today.

6. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Jason,

Thanks for the update.

Does the game control like Max Payne/Halo, etc (or most FPS)?

How's the zoom functionality when sniping? What about the "Matrix" like time-freezes?

Sorry so many questions.

Troy

7. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

They have a review up at ps2.ign.com. Anyone have "inside" access?

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Can someone post that review?

9. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I can't post the whole thing, but here are a few highlights.

Gameplay

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

What about the Xbox version, what score did it get?

11. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

The score was the same for the Xbox.

It was a different review, but overall pretty positive.

Presentation
    Simple yet wholly satisfying. Don't be surprised when a movie based on this game is announced. The story is that rich.
    Graphics
    Even though Xbox standards are getting tougher, the animation, environments and models are now merely great instead of flabbergasting.
    Sound
    Best music since Halo and some might fine sound effects. Would a little surround sound be too much to ask?
    Gameplay
    Thinking like an assassin is always fun, but this game gives you the option to play smart or play dumb and rewards you either way.
    Lasting Appeal
    You can blaze through it in an afternoon if you turn it into a slaughterfest. Play the right way and you'll get plenty of life out of Agent 47.
    OVERALL SCORE (not an average)

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well it sounds like I will be getting this game soon. It's too bad about the gameplay in 3rd person mode though. I really like third person mode play like Max Payne.

13. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

14. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Jason, Thanks for the feedback, the 3rd person mode is what initially drew my attention to this game and when I heard that it was not that great in 3rd person mode it almost made me not want to buy it. But I am going to pick this game up today and play it over the weekend. I hope it is good! Can you give me more feedback about what you think of the game as a whole?