What's new

Anybody getting the Ed Sullivan Boxset??? (1 Viewer)

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Just curious about this set. Haven't seen much about it. Anybody seen any reviews yet?
Thanks.
Jim

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've ordered this one.
I guess they'll be releasing some more of the 9 discs (individually) as time goes on.
Here's what Amazon says about the full 9-disc collection......
Studio: Warner/ Elektra/ Atlantic Video
DVD Release Date: September 24, 2002
Run Time: 520 minutes
Production Company: wea rhino
Package Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio(s):
Full Screen (Standard) - 1.33:1
Discographic Information:
DVD Encoding: Region 1
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Black & White, Color, Box set, Dolby
• Discs 1-9:
• Chart Toppers Volume 1: Top Hits of 1965, Top Hits of 1966, Top Hits of 1967
• Chart Toppers Volume 2: Top Hits of 1968, Top Hits of 1969, Top Hits of 1970
• The Soul of the Motor City: Motortown Review, Sweet Sounds of Soul, Motor City Magic
• Elvis and Other Rock Greats: Elvis Presley, Move to the Music, The Temptations & The Supremes, The Temptations, The Supremes
• Love Songs: Classic Love Songs, Rock 'n' Roll Love Songs, Teen Idols
• Rockin' the Sixties: San Francisco Scene, Smash Hits of the Sixties, Psychedelic Sixties
• Legends of Rock: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Rock Legends – Vol. 1, Rock Legends – Vol. 2
• The British Invasion: The British Invasion Vol. 1, The British Invasion Vol. 2
• Trivia tracks
• Selected discographies
• Interview with John Moffit (director)
• Rare footage of Ed & Sylvia
• Variety acts
• Full-screen format
• Number of discs: 9

MitchP

Grip
I have not seen no reviews for the boxset or the other 2 individual dvds so I decided to take a chance and ordered the 9 dvd boxset from Cd Now. It's 30% off right now and I used a 19% off coupon code and got it for $100.03 shipped.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Saw a content list some weeks ago, and e-mailed Doc Rhino about some major omissions (Chuck Berry, Everly brothers).

But my sense is that - Ed Sullivan was live (compared with Dick Clark) and that this is an amazing library of early R&R.

Very few of the VHS programs / compilations of several decades ago have come to DVD (where is The Complete Beatles, 20 years Ago Today, The Girl Groups, the 1985 Chuck Berry Concert, the 1983 Everly reunion Concert, and many more?)

Not sure if I can manage the entire box, so it would be nice if individual disks came out...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I have about 6 DVDs from the Time Life version of this set. I'm pretty sure the performances are the same on both the T/L and Rhino sets but each Rhino DVD appears to be equal to about one and a half T/L disks, so it seems like a better deal.

In any case, I'm very happy with the DVDs that I have. A few performances seem to be truncated (the Beatles on Help, Steppenwolf) and many of the the performances are mimed though I presume this was the way they were originally. But there are some great performances.

Whether or not you should get the complete set of individual ones would depend on how interested you are in all the acts. I'm assuming they'll eventually offer them all individually though I've just seen the first two listed so far. I might pick up one or two more if there's not too much duplication with what I already have. The Temptations/Supremes one looks interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks