Anybody get their E80 dvd recorder yet?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Phil Tomaskovic, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I saw one in Best Buy so looks like they are out. Any one get their One Call order yet or buy from anywhere else?

Reviews?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As of Monday, 7/14/03, OneCall hadn't yet received their shipment.

M.

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I got mine yesterday from amazon.com. Great unit. I like it better than my previous E20 & HS2 (plus it was cheaper).

4. Michael Reuben

OneCall is obviously having a supply problem with Panasonic. They just told me that their units aren't expected until next week. I canceled with them and reordered from 6thAve.com; they have stock, and I should have it this week, since they're much closer.

M.

5. Phil Tomaskovic

Hw much did 6th ave want? I was under $600 with free shipping from one call.

6. Michael Reuben

$588.87 with UPS ground. A few dollars less than OneCall with FedEx 3d day. But for me, UPS ground from Jersey is one day, two at most.

M.

7. Phil Tomaskovic

I see Best Buy has a $100 gift card (mail back) with purchase this week. Still have to pay 7.5% tax by me ($52). But I figure I also get 70,000 reward pts which is good for about $30 in gift cards.

I was able to also use the 10% off coupon that was in the catalog/flyer sent earlier this week. It said it was for dvd players but he let me use it anyways. And for some reason I also got an instant $50 gift card!

So I got $70 cash off, immediate $50 gift card, mail in rebate for $100 GC and should get $20-30 in reward certificate! So about $250 off!

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Haven't tried any recording yet... But I was able to play a dvd+rw and v-cd that I had burned from my PC using EZCD Platinum 6. I didn't think there was a way it would play the +rw !

What speed are people using for burning to HDD? I was thinking SP for reasonable disc space freedom.

I figure I would always save to HD first and then burn to dvd if I want to.

Anything I should know about recording tv shows? Anything to watch for (glitches?) I assume the delay it talks about is only when writing to disc and closing at the end? Will this delay still occur if I record a show at 7pm for 1 hr and then have another show scheduled for 8?

9. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I have had my E80 for two weeks and it is a great recorder. If you intend to dub in "High Speed" you need to set the player up for High Speed dubbing and record in SP for programs less than 2 hours and FR for those over two hours. High speed dubbing takes 54 minutes regardless of the programs length. Mark of Zorro was a two hour program and Mutiny on the Bounty was 3:06 minutes and they both took 54 minutes to dub in High Speed.

There is no doubt this is the best recorder on the market right now. And with its 80 GB hard drive it will be hard to beat for awhile.

10. Michael Reuben

11. Phil Tomaskovic

Is fragmentation a problem on the hard drive? I see there is a format option which would do it (and blow away all data). Also the manual says format would blow away computr data. Does that mean it's even an option? Is the OS/software also on the hard drive?

12. Phil Tomaskovic

Well, I just burned my first dvd-r using Khypermedia (on sale at Officemax for about $1/disc after rebates). It played fine on my old Sony carousel player (the first one they released). I was also able to play it on my PC's dvd-rom drive (a Hi-val with Toshiba inside, I think). It also played on my hp dvd+r/rw 300e burner!

The only glitch was when I played it on the PC, either drive and with both PowerDvd and Windows Media Player, the text on the menu was no visible. I was still able to click on the entry/button as if it was there, but the text was invisible! Anyone seen this?