Anybody get the new "Ghost Story" DVD..?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

If so, how does it compare to the old release>

[​IMG] D

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The new release of Ghost Story is stunning. If finally looks like a Cardiff film.

RAH

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

What exactly is different about it? Was the original not anamorphic?

I bought it early on, after having bought the remastered laserdisc when that was released. The transfer on both was excellent, I thought. When I heard about the rerelease, my only thought was that the original version wasn't anamorphic because I didn't think it could look any better than it did.

4. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

No, the original from Image wasn't anamorphic, just standard letterbox.

Unfortunately, both editions are bare-bones without even so much as a trailer.

This movie could've made for a good SE because if you've carefully read the credits, it would appear that there were more scenes shot that would've pulled the movie closer to the novel.

Also, a Peter Straub commentary might be interesting to hear.

5. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

There were LOADS of scenes cut from the movie, including several different endings AND some of Dick Smith's best make-up effects! Try and track down the Cinefantastique magazine from 1981 -- it goes into extensive detail about the movie's editing problems and disappointing final cut. I think most of the people involved with the movie view it as a lost opportunity (including Straub, who was on record as being let down by it), and it would have been nice to see the deleted scenes -- or a longer cut put together -- on a DVD.

Image's old DVD, by the way, was utterly worthless. The sound was so pinched there were times you couldn't understand the dialogue. I kept my old laserdisc, but I'm happy to hear the new DVD sports a remastered soundtrack and transfer. Time to upgrade, even if there are no extras [​IMG]