What's new

Anybody for some fiddling? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I heard this talented lady from Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia on NPR not too long ago and enjoyed the energy and feel of it. Sort of a mixture of celtic, folk, and bluegrass...

http://www.nataliemacmaster.com

Just thought I'd toss that out here. I was captivated by the music while driving home one day and had my local NPR station on.

Jay

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I just discovered the band Nickel Creek last week, some more great fiddle music.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Sara from Nickel Creek is amazing, she's quite cute too.
Alison Krauss is great, she's been more a vocalist but some of the instrumental songs she just lets loose and rocks.

My best friend is all about Hanneke Cassel she sounds pretty good with what little I've actually heard.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Alison was a junior champion fiddler in various Blue Grass competitions. I remember seeing her and Victor performing together at the local middle school here in Champaign, IL.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I enjoy a little bit of Alison Krauss, but I haven't heard much of the others mentioned. I'll have to check them out. FYI, Natalie MacMaster appears to be playing Carnegie Hall in NYC on May 22nd.... Should be a nice venue!

Jay

NikkiJo

Grip

Thanks Jay-- This is good. Did you end up buying an album, and if so, which one would you recommend?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi NikkiJo, I've just heard of her this past friday. I spoke to a friend of mine in Maine who saw her back in 2002 and she highly recommended it, but I can ask her if she has any of her CDs. I don't recall what songs she played on NPR that I heard, I enjoyed it more for just the feel and the energy and of course, good music from a talented artist, but I can't give ya any recommendations.. I'll ask her if she has any of her CDs...

jay

RobertW

Supporting Actor
speaking of Maine, she just played in Portland last week, and there was a terrific review in the local paper. haven't heard any of her music myself, but i'll have to look into her stuff one of these days.

another i'd recommend is Sharon Shannon, who's done solo and group stuff, maybe best known by most folks for her stint with Mike Scott in the Waterboys.

anther would be Paul Cantelon, who plays in the Wild Colonials. a bit more of an Arabic sound than pure Celtic influence.

NikkiJo

Grip

I haven't listened to the Wild Colonials in a long time...And WOW are they awesome, I'm going to have to look for that cd when I get home.

Thanks for all of the recs...Looks like I've got some music to look into this weekend.

Jay, keep me posted on the CD and thanks for looking into it!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have now heard from 2 friends who have seen Natalie live and both recommend it highly. Not that unexpected anyway from such a niche market.

As far as CDs, I was told that "My Roots are Showing" is a good one as well as her latest "blueprint" are excellent.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks