Anybody finished Grand Theft Auto 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Still only a meager 27% in, I'm wondering if anyone has finished the game? If so, I have just some generic, hopefully spoiler free questions.

Does the story arc, and have a conclusion? If so, is it satisfactory?

Do you, at some point, get to choose which gang you go with primarily? I know I could have done work for the Diablos, had I raced them, but I skipped it. Is there a place where you can choose one or the other, or does it primarily stick to a storyline approach?

Do you have to beat every mission (Marty Chonks and Diablo race, etc.) to get the credits, and for the end screen to roll?

Also, after you beat the game, and hopefully have risen to great power, is it left open so you can still roll around with your new found power?

If you answers contain spoilers, please warn so as not to offend anyone.

Thanks for any help you may provide!

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I think I'm around the same stage as you - I just recently opened the 2nd city. Finishing this game would be a gargantuan task, especially with all the in-game diversions!

For someone who has gotten farther: I can barely drive around Portland now, as the Mafia and Triad members constantly attack/shoot my car. It's nearly impossible to do the Firefighting missions there. Does it ever get easier again?

-Dave

3. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I'm up to 47%. The last two times I played, maybe two hours total, I did side missions/finding packages. There's just too much to do. Once a gang hates you I don't think there's any way to undo it. The Triads are no real problem for me; an uzi is the most they might be packing. But I stay out of mob turf. They are armed with M16s and can easily take out your car. It will explode before you can get out. I don't do taxi/ambulance/fire/police missions in that part of town anymore because of it. I do not look forward to when I have to go back there to track down my last few hidden packages/rampages. I've come to the mission where I'm about to piss off the Yakuza and I'm going to do more fire truck missions before I piss off the Yakuza. I wish there were some redemption missions to make nice with the gangs again.

This is one of the best games ever. The Gamecube is gathering dust so I can play it. I've never had so much freedome and some people complain about the low poly models but this is the most alive city in any game ever. Maybe on the next gen machines every buildling will have an interior.

jeremy

4. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

I finished the storyline. You don't have to do any payphone missions to complete it, just the ones given by people marked on the map. You don't control who gets mad at you and who you work for, the plot dictates all that.

Even though I finished the story, I'm still only around 50% complete. Lots of hidden packages and unique jumps still to find!

I think this is my game of the year so far, and there's nothing else coming out that I can see beating it. I've played all the other AAA games with the exception of Rogue Leader and Monkey Ball (as my damn Gamecube got delayed). Halo is damn good but still not as much fun as GTA3, and MGS2 was a bit of a disappointment to me, with all the same problems as the first one.

5. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

This game does look like alot of fun. I really liked the PSX game "Driver", and this looks like a natural extension of it. When I had heard that they were doing a port of the PS2 "SW Starfighter" with improved graphics for the XBOX, I began to wonder if they will do that for alot of ports. I guess it depends on the publisher. if they have one major game, say on the PS2, and are starting to work on another, it seems like an easy source of cash to up the poly count or whatever, and release it on the XBOX. Just to give them that little bit extra to hold them while working on the next title.

Or they could just do a direct port, and call it quits. Since MGS2 will be ported to XBOX as MGSX, I wonder what they'll do....

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Some of the rumors I have heard state the X-box version of the game will allow you to rip music on to the hard drive and create your own radio stations.
    I dont know how much truth there are to these rumors but I think that would be nice feature.[​IMG]