What's new

Anybody experience this with Star Wars Episode 1 DTS? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that while watching this movie(using DTS), the bass seems a lot louder than other movies, thus the need to tone it down around 5db. Has anyone else experienced unnaturally higher LFE levels in this movie?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
TPM doesn't have a DTS soundtrack, unless you're talking about the laserdisc. I'd recommend you post this in the software section. You'' get better responses.

Good luck.

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Huh? How come mine does have DTS? it even works with my receiver and comes out in my DVD player

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The Region 1 version only came with Dolby Digital. Maybe your DTS signal is showing on your receiver and DVD player. But the signal is DD. Is your disc a Region 1 release?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One of the special discs earmarked only for Lucasfilm employees must have slipped out of the disc replication facility. :)
Seriously, the DVD and LD releases do not have DTS soundtracks. I'm assuming that even with your receiver set to DTS, it is auto-detecting the soundtrack and switching to DD. To answer your question, most folks have experienced the impressive LFE on this reference quality soundmix.
- Walter.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, what store did you purchase the disc at? Or was it not at a store...perhaps at a flea market, or through eBay? That might have some bearing on this situation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ryan: As has been mentioned, there's only a DD track. But the reason the bass comes off at such high levels is that this mix is very similiar to the theatrical mix, which means it was designed for the space of a movie theater, not a home theater. Or so I read anyway.

Whoops, DTS should have been DD... sorry bout that:b

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD was only given to me. I checked again, btw, and it really is DTS. But since there has not been a release, I'm kinda confused.
When I activate the DTS in the setup, the player and the receiver both detects DTS, thus they are activated in both units. In fact, when I tried listening to the movie in DD and DTS, there was a big, big difference in sound quality. In the pod race sequence alone, the DTS setting had a much cleaner sound, especially the LFE. There were so many sounds such as ambient low rumbles that never appear in DD in some scenes. In fact with the DTS mode the bass in incredibly detailed and much lower, deeper, and stronger.
I hope you guys don't think I'm making this up, I'm just telling you like it is :frowning:
anyway how do you post a picture here? i took some shots of the player, receiver and TV so you can see that the DTS really is activated.
anybody care to explain? :)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I hope you guys don't think I'm making this up, I'm just telling you like it is
Noone said you were making it up. But like the GoldenEye Thread thread, there has never been a legit DVD with DTS on it.
And since the laserdiscs and DVDs released were only in Dolby Digital, I can question the methods used to create a DTS track from it. As Jeff Kleist said before in the GE thread, decompressing a Dolby Digital track to 6 PCM stems, and reencoding it to DTS with some possible processing inbetween decoding and reencoding. With all compression artifacts multiplied at each encoding step.
If I understand it though, DTS has a different bass management system to Dolby Digital, in that the standard level of bass is different. Since the bass is stronger, it must be amplified in comparison. All I need to do to get detailed and powerful bass in Episode 1 is to turn up the volume on the Dolby Digital track.
Of course this is all guesswork. :) But the audio compression ideas expressed here are pretty sound (pun intended), and I'm merely telling it like it is too.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

False.

Ugh, I think I will spend my entire life explaining these misconceptions and false assumptions.

-V

PS: I too am waiting to see a screen shot of the audio menu with DTS listed from this DVD.

PPS: I think it's funny that if this bootleg has a DTS track, it must have come from a DD source, recompiled into DTS- yet the listener still finds it "cleaner, Detailed and much lower, deeper, and stronger."

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
PPS: I think it's funny that if this bootleg has a DTS track, it must have come from a DD source, recompiled into DTS- yet the listener still finds it "cleaner, Detailed and much lower, deeper, and stronger."
that's not far fetched, if the bootleggers re-encoded the DD track at a lower bitrate, or set the dialog normalization level on the DD track so that it's 5dB or so lower than the DTS track across the board...

Oscar

Second Unit
Yeah, it must be a bootleg.

I never heard of a TPM DVD that has DTS.

Is it a japanese DVD?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I wondering if maybe on a fluke the original poster is confusing "DTS" with "5.1".

Since the actual official TPM release has a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtrack along with a Dolby 2.0 mix... would it be possible that the original poster is comparing the 2.0 mix with the 5.1 mix and is a bit confused on the definition of DTS?

He never indictaed how he knew "DTS" was engaged- and I would wonder if simply the multichannel indicator (like the 6 speaker diagram on my old Panasonic player) is what the poster is seeing. If someone were to believe that 5.1 was the same as DTS- the receiver and/or player showing the 6 channel speaker indicator would be an easy way to mistake "DTS" being presented.

Not trying to question the poster or his knowledge-- but the differences sited would be 100% concurrent with comparing a 2.0 soundtrack to the 5.1 version-- and the lack of DTS on any release makes me wonder (I have checked the popular resources for bootleg versions and see absolutely none touting a DTS soundtrack).

Just my thought on the matter.

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
well it must be a bootleg then :frowning:
to vince: read my post again. As I stated the the DTS indicator comes out in both the DVD player and recevier, and I did take a picture of the setup menu that states DTS. And how can you find it funny that I find the DTS better? you haven't heard of it yet have you? As Matt said, that's not far-fetched.
Or maybe we should all just bow to your all encompassing knowledge and superiority?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks