Anybody experience this with Star Wars Episode 1 DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Cruz, May 5, 2002.

1. Ryan Cruz

Ryan Cruz Stunt Coordinator

It seems that while watching this movie(using DTS), the bass seems a lot louder than other movies, thus the need to tone it down around 5db. Has anyone else experienced unnaturally higher LFE levels in this movie?

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

TPM doesn't have a DTS soundtrack, unless you're talking about the laserdisc. I'd recommend you post this in the software section. You'' get better responses.

Good luck.

3. Ryan Cruz

Huh? How come mine does have DTS? it even works with my receiver and comes out in my DVD player

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

The Region 1 version only came with Dolby Digital. Maybe your DTS signal is showing on your receiver and DVD player. But the signal is DD. Is your disc a Region 1 release?

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

One of the special discs earmarked only for Lucasfilm employees must have slipped out of the disc replication facility. [​IMG]
    Seriously, the DVD and LD releases do not have DTS soundtracks. I'm assuming that even with your receiver set to DTS, it is auto-detecting the soundtrack and switching to DD. To answer your question, most folks have experienced the impressive LFE on this reference quality soundmix.
    - Walter.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Ryan, what store did you purchase the disc at? Or was it not at a store...perhaps at a flea market, or through eBay? That might have some bearing on this situation.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Ryan: As has been mentioned, there's only a DD track. But the reason the bass comes off at such high levels is that this mix is very similiar to the theatrical mix, which means it was designed for the space of a movie theater, not a home theater. Or so I read anyway.

Whoops, DTS should have been DD... sorry bout that:b

8. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

No legitimate DVD has DTS on Episode 1.

It's a bootleg.

9. Ryan Cruz

The DVD was only given to me. I checked again, btw, and it really is DTS. But since there has not been a release, I'm kinda confused.
    When I activate the DTS in the setup, the player and the receiver both detects DTS, thus they are activated in both units. In fact, when I tried listening to the movie in DD and DTS, there was a big, big difference in sound quality. In the pod race sequence alone, the DTS setting had a much cleaner sound, especially the LFE. There were so many sounds such as ambient low rumbles that never appear in DD in some scenes. In fact with the DTS mode the bass in incredibly detailed and much lower, deeper, and stronger.
    I hope you guys don't think I'm making this up, I'm just telling you like it is [​IMG]
    anyway how do you post a picture here? i took some shots of the player, receiver and TV so you can see that the DTS really is activated.
    anybody care to explain? [​IMG]

10. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Is your copy a 2 disc set? If it's just a 1 disc set, it's probably a bootleg.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

False.

Ugh, I think I will spend my entire life explaining these misconceptions and false assumptions.

-V

PS: I too am waiting to see a screen shot of the audio menu with DTS listed from this DVD.

PPS: I think it's funny that if this bootleg has a DTS track, it must have come from a DD source, recompiled into DTS- yet the listener still finds it "cleaner, Detailed and much lower, deeper, and stronger."

14. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams

15. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Ryan,
    Email the pictures to me at [email protected] and I'll post them online.

16. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Episode 1's DTS track is just as clear as the one on the Citizen Kane DVD. [​IMG]

18. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Yeah, it must be a bootleg.

I never heard of a TPM DVD that has DTS.

Is it a japanese DVD?

19. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I wondering if maybe on a fluke the original poster is confusing "DTS" with "5.1".

Since the actual official TPM release has a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtrack along with a Dolby 2.0 mix... would it be possible that the original poster is comparing the 2.0 mix with the 5.1 mix and is a bit confused on the definition of DTS?

He never indictaed how he knew "DTS" was engaged- and I would wonder if simply the multichannel indicator (like the 6 speaker diagram on my old Panasonic player) is what the poster is seeing. If someone were to believe that 5.1 was the same as DTS- the receiver and/or player showing the 6 channel speaker indicator would be an easy way to mistake "DTS" being presented.

Not trying to question the poster or his knowledge-- but the differences sited would be 100% concurrent with comparing a 2.0 soundtrack to the 5.1 version-- and the lack of DTS on any release makes me wonder (I have checked the popular resources for bootleg versions and see absolutely none touting a DTS soundtrack).

Just my thought on the matter.

20. Ryan Cruz

well it must be a bootleg then [​IMG]
    to vince: read my post again. As I stated the the DTS indicator comes out in both the DVD player and recevier, and I did take a picture of the setup menu that states DTS. And how can you find it funny that I find the DTS better? you haven't heard of it yet have you? As Matt said, that's not far-fetched.
    Or maybe we should all just bow to your all encompassing knowledge and superiority?