anybody ever use an ionic breeze?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin T, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

my home gets quite dusty and i have a dog who spends much of the time indoors as well. i was wondering if any members here have used an ionic breeze unit and what effect it has had on the level or dust and pet dander in their home. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.

kevin t

2. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    I'm in the same boat as you are with two dogs. Dust is a constant problem. I tried an Ionic Breeze about two years ago. Although I was cleaning dust off the metal rods, it really didn't seem to have an overall effect in the room in which I placed it...I still had to dust my furniture and electronics. Because of what the thing cost, I decided just to return it. For about $500 I could get an electrostatic air cleaner attached to my furnace that supposedly filters air from throughout the house as it passes through the HVAC system. I say every year that I may get one, but I always find a reason not to. Maybe it's because I can't return it if I don't like it. [​IMG]

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

They are OK, but IMO, not worth the money. Also, they are absolutely horrible if you are a smoker (I used to be years ago) as they will just tar up your rods and ruin it. I still use mine now in my bedroom, but it really doesn't do all that much except give it a nice ionic smell.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I have a humble Hunter Air Purifier for my small ~12x14' bedroom. It collects a lot of dust and the carbon filter gets rid of odors too. I have the freshest-smelling room compared to my two roommates.

I spent about $80, but again, this is for a small bedroom. Only thing I can think of that help alleviate dust in an entire house would be more frequent use of your HVAC's fan. Set it to On instead of Auto to recirculate air when the A/C is off (duh you knew that [​IMG]).

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

The best feature of the Ionic Breeze was the return policy. The product was useless. It brought no perceptible change in airborne dust etc. An Austin Healthmate Jr helps quite a bit in my room.

I have an electrostatic unit attached to my furnace. It helps, but the dust from my parrots can overwhelm it pretty easily.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The Oreck unit they constantly advertise looks interesting, but I think it costs a lot of money. Last time I looked, they wouldn't even give you a straight answer as to price on their website.

7. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

The NYT reported back in January that CR found that the iconic breeze thing did nothing at all, and was, basically (as we who used to be in the audio industry would say), the Bose of home products. Here's a snippet from a NYT column about it (CONSUMED By ROB WALKER 1-22-06):

In October 2003, Consumer Reports published an evaluation of various products that promised to clean indoor air, offering allergy relief and generally better breathing. The magazine (published by Consumers Union, a nonprofit that dates to 1936) had tested such devices before and found little to applaud but noted that they continued to enjoy ''brisk sales'' partly because of ''concerns about allergies and indoor air contaminants, coupled with heightened worries over terrorism.'' The 2003 report was particularly tough on Sharper Image, ''the champion of air-cleaner marketing,'' giving the lowest marks in categories like dust- and smoke-removal to its Ionic Breeze product, which the magazine called flat-out ''ineffective.''...

They found that even tho these products didn't really do anything, they sold by the truck load.

Hmmmm.

MC

8. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

When I bought the Ionic Breeze mentioned above, I dusted and vacuumed the same day I set it up. A couple of days later, I cleaned the collector inside the Ionic Breeze. There was a little bit of dust stuck to it. In contrast, I looked over at the TV, and its electrostatic charge had grabbed dust from the air like an immense magnet.

So, I returned the Ionic Breeze and bought a bigger TV. [​IMG]

9. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Don't waste your money on Ionic or Oreck....

I opted to get a 3 pack of Hunter Hepa Filter Air Cleaners when Sam's was selling them...two small room units and one big room unit with filters...we keep them running in the house most of the time on LOW and they collect a lot of dust....I cheat and when they get coated with dust, I use my Hoover Fusion to suck the dust out of the filter and reuse them...at some point I will buy some new filters on Ebay.

The whole package at Sam's was around $90.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

The IB is a useless rip-off product that does absolutely nothing but suck money out of your bank account.

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I needed some type of filter because I found I was dusting much more than I wanted to. After looking at both Ionic and HEPA types I went with a HEPA unit and it has worked successfully for over 4 years. (Whirlpool 510, I believe.)

If you want to cut down on the dusting then the Ionic filters are not the way to go. Their principle involves ionizing the air so that it will stick to their metallic surface (which is periodically cleaned.) The problem is, any ionized air that doesn't get trapped by the filter will end up sticking much more strongly to other surfaces like table tops, etc. because of the static charges. Most people who I know who started with ionic filters switched to HEPA filters later on and are much happier with those. Yes, you'll pay more for the replaceable filters, but this is one case that you get what you pay for, IMHO.

12. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I researched quite a bit when I was looking for a home air cleaner & found the same bad reviews on the Ionic Breeze.
    Not like I would spend that much on one, but there are similar,cheaper models out there. (all of the "Ionic" models had the same bad reviews)
    I guess instead of being a "filter" the ionic models release ozone particles into the air which attach too the dust in the air......in turn the dust falls out of the air & collects on furniture,tv, everything,etc.

I ended up with a Holmes Hepa Tower filter from Walmart. $58.
    Works great......the pre-filter catches most of the cat hair in the air and is easily cleaned.
    I wouldn't consider it "noisy", but it you can hear the fan running (on medium setting)

13. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Suprised these are still on the market. There was a test recently that showed they did not purify well and also put out dangerous levels of ozone with the ionizing action. They could put a room at dangerous levels within hours of use I believe.

Funny when you think people were buying something healthy only to be slowly killing themselves.

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I found it ironic.

When laser-printers first hit the market, we suddenly got all sorts of warnings about those, ionizing the air and creating possibly "dangerous" levels of ozone (increasing the chance of cancer).

(Before that, a thunderstorm was said to be healthy, because it cleared the air and created ozone, which was good.)

And now they're produced as a remedy (for whatever)? Thunderstorm again?

Cees