What's new

Anybody (esp. Hotmail users) get any suspicious emails today? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Today, i've gotten three very suspicious emails (well in my view)
They all were from differnt people, and had different subject titles. They were around 120kb's, and all of them contained simply the hotmail 'title bar'.
The subjects were:
"Please Try Again"
"Of Service"
"Now! bet365"
Heres a screenshot of the email:
http://www3.telus.net/sonick/email.jpg
It was simply that, i've gotten THREE of these...
Should i be suspicious or am i just very paranoid? :p)

James St

Supporting Actor
I didn't get anything strange today. Just the usual University Diploma bullshit. While I've never gotten a virus or anything(knock on wood) I believe you can never be too suspicious when it comes to e-mails. I delete everything I get from senders I don't know.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I get a couple of dozen suspicious emails every day and I never read any of them. For me it's more about time than security. I could easily spend an hour a day sorting thru debt consolidation services, teen girls who want to show me their new webcams, and thousands of dollars in unclaimed prize money but why bother?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Did they have attachments? If they did, they could have been viruses. Otherwise, they're probably just spam spam spam spam spam spam... :angry:
In either case, the Delete key is your friend!
KJP

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah, like Kevin said, they are just spam and don't open attachments! I generally get about 3 e-mails a week with an attachment and they are probably viruses. But, the e-mails that I really hate are the ones that tell you that you've ordered something on-line, that you don't remember ordering, and they need your credit card number again in order for them to ship it. It's just thieves, that really pisses me off.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just got like 4 more today, one from somebody's whos email i do know...

But i dont get it, isnt spam supposda send you something? All these have is the hotmail banner.. ohwell...

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
My wife got about 4 of these on her yahoo mail today. Various subjects from people she knows around 120k in size but no body for the email. Has to be a virus but it sure is an odd looking one. It does not show the attachments. -Wes

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm almost ready to cancel my Hotmail accounts as I get TONS of spam everyday! However, I have not noticed anything unusual in the last few days.

-Andre F

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
I found it. It is a virus and there is a good description here. Link Removed
If you use a web based email like Hotmail or Yahoo there shouldn't be any problem as long as you don't download it.
-Wes

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wes: Thanks for the link.. But did you get any attatchments with it? I didnt get any attatchments with them...

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
That is what I thought was odd. They showed to be 120k or so in size and there was no body to the email and no attachment box either. Yahoo and hotmail are very similar and I am sure that they didn't show anything because it is a virus. The only people that should be really concerned are outlook users. Outlook sets preview on as default and this automatically downloads this particular virus and it does its thing without any knowledge of the user. So, you have nothing to be worried about. The person who sent the mails, however, has a big problem. If you look at the addys that sent them to you, they will be changed slightly from the actual senders address. At least one of them will be from someone you know. The others can be pulled out of this person's address book. If they have it, they need to go to download.com and get the removal utility. Once the utility is run then they should do a full virus scan with a good AV software like norton or macafee to make sure they got it all cleaned up. The person we know that sent it to us has a cable modem, her computer is on 24/7, has no AV and no firewall, and she is using outlook. Recipe for disaster. She remembered opening this thing on friday. Anyway, that is one of the best features of web-based email is virus protection. -Wes

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I've gotten 3 different emails with viruses today. 2 of them went to one account, and another one went to my hotmail account. very strange. one of them infected my machine, although i'm not quite sure what it did.

the subject headings were something like:

"about cookie settings"

"your opinion"

"a funny game"

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah... go to download.com search for "klez", youll find the remover for the virus..

Thankfully i use webased and not Outlook...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks