Anybody else upgrade their Denon 5800's with the Upgrade Kit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor Schell, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi!

Just wondering how many Forum members who own the Denon 5800 Receiver decided to go ahead with the Upgrade Kit?

I understand now that it was available in limited quantities. So those that were planning to wait awhile may be out of luck.

Thanks,
    Trevor.

2. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

I just got mine back. It took 3 days at Denon in New Jersey (arrived on Tuesday and shipped on Friday) and another 7 days of round trip shipping with Fedex. I shipped it to Denon via Fedex economy at 76 lbs and insured for $4000 for $67.
    Everything went fine and now I am just beginning to play with the new capabilities. I did notice that the settings in the receiver were still there when I got it back. All the surround speaker levels were unchanged. Also the speaker size and subwoofer settings were unchanged as well. There is the new sub THX setting as well as the new crossover settings for non-THX. It now has 5 composite digital in vs 3 next to the Denon Link for the 9000 DVD. (Maybe next years extravagence...) [​IMG] They reduced the optical in to 5 from 6.
    The timing was good for the upgrade as I had blown a resistor the goverened the mute circuit for the LFE output. It supresses the LFE while switching between devices or when a signal is changed (Like changing channels on Satellite TV) With the resistor damaged I got a loud THUMP from the subs (SVS 16-46PCi and M&K 150THX) during every change. Very loud and annoying. [​IMG] Particularly with Great subs!! Denon said this is an issue with their receiver line that generally manifests early if at all. Mine took 20 months which was unusual from their experience. Just in time for the upgrade I get a free warranty repair as well.
    Next week I will have some time to play with it. It was sure quiet in the Theater for two weeks without it!
    Overall, considering the low market price for resale on the 5800 and the steep reference receiver or Pre-Pro pricing to improve upon the upgraded 5800, this seemed by far the most cost effective option out there.
    I would jump on this quick if you are going to as they are only available in the USA until October sometime according to the web site. I don't know how long they will be available in Canada.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Trevor-
    I asked about the upgrade for a customer of mine this weekend at CEDIA. I was assured that there were still some kits leftover and it would not be a problem.

4. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Michael,,I had mine upgraded..Just I did it when they first came out. Wouldn't want to take the chance to miss out on it.

Eric,,The Denon 9000 would definately be a sweet addition.
    Thanks,