Anybody else think the Beastie Boys would sound cool in surround?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LanceJ, Feb 12, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I do!

I kind of burned out on them in the mid 90's and while I bought & liked "Hello Nasty", my BB titles have gotten a little dusty sitting in my rack.

But while poking around their website ( http://www.beastieboys.com/ ) I learned they are working on a new album. That caused me to pull out and play one of my favorite Beastie CDs, "Check Your Head". Wow, the multichannel mixing possibilities this music has! And I think it would be really fun to be immersed in this.

Another album of theirs (actually, a compilation) I would like to hear in surround but also in high resolution stereo would be "The In Sound From Way Out!". I have played this instrumental disc on the sly for non-Beastie fans many times and they never have guessed its those brass monkey guys! This jazzy/funky disc let's one know the BBs are quite talented musicians: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...67&style=music

LJ

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I could definetly handle Licensed to Ill in multi channel. All of them belting out "GIRLS" in DVD A would light up my day, anytime [​IMG]

4. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'd also love to hear the multi-layered mixes of PUBLIC ENEMY in surround.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The Beastie Boys have released an anti-war song. On their website they explain their feelings about it and there is a link for a free MP3 download of it:

Beastie Boys home site

LJ [​IMG]

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

If I am not mistaken I thought there was an annoucement(maybe at CES?) that the Beastie Boys were coming to SACD. I think I saw it on High Fidelity Review..hmmm.

J

9. Justin Lane

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=19821825

Well I found the link. It looks like the Beastie Boys are rumored to be a future Mobile Fidelity release on SACD. This probably means no surround track (stereo only) and a high MSRP, though I am sure the stereo track will have great sonics if and when it comes along.

J

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    For the record, I think the 5.1 mixes created for the Criterion DVD are pretty terrible. It sounds like there was a mixing, mastering, or manufacturing defect and they accidentally added 10dB to the LFE channel. I find it unlistenable. I like the 2.0 tracks and the remixes on the low-res part of the disc are pretty interesting, though.

Regards,

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Oh jeez.

I'm sorry Justin, but I think releasing the Beasties on a format that very few "regular" people have even heard of & can't play on an existing player is really stupid.

And how many Beastie Boys music reviews have you seen in The Absolute Sound or Stereophile? "Oh yea, those Meadowlark Swallows sounded bitchin' with "Finger Lickin' Good" pumping through them! And that velvety high-end was PHAT sounding!"

What is going on out there in Recording Land? [​IMG]

[/b]LJ[/b]

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

13. Justin Lane

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

At the risk of sounding like an audio snob, I'm pretty sure most BB fans aren't audio hobbyists. So I think a hi-res/stereo only release--hybrid or not--will elicit a loud, collective yawn from 95% of the Beastie's fan base.

A SURROUND release would......well, we all know the rest of that story. [​IMG]

LJ

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Lance, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying it's a dumb idea for MFSL to master the Beasties? As for myself, I'd love it, and I don't care what "BB fans" think about it. In fact, why would I even consider their preferences? When it comes to "audiophile quality" mastering, they're entirely ignorant and entirely irrelevant. Let them eat Jon Astley masters.

17. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

I'm not so sure Beastie SACDs would be a bad idea. One thing a lot of Beastie fans love is the incredible production quality. They have consistently turned out some of the most creative sounding and "compiled" sounding mixes including lots of samples and their three voices overlapping each other like some kind of Beach Boys on acid effect could potentially knock your socks off. I would say the production of their releases has a lot in common with Beck's Odelay! (do they have the same producer?) And I know SACD fans are screaming for a hi-rez release of that album...