Anybody else heard Johnny Winter's Greatest Hits on SACD yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Is it a new release? I picked it up on my recent mailorder. I haven't ever seen it at Busted Buy.[​IMG] The disc is in stereo only but it's stereo in a grand style. It's so analog sounding. It makes me feel like I could be listening to the vinyl version. It's seems to have come out well considering some of the source tapes are 30 + years old. The guitars are sooo, detailed, auuuh, analog sounding. I like it when reissues seem true to the original. I get that here. ROCK AND ROLL HOOCHIE KOO!!! What would make it better? A hybrid layer, for sure, and a M/C mix for the 5.1 deprived. Johnny is stille alive and well. How about an Edgar SACD now? Bring on little brother. [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Yes - I have since it was released. Excellent sounding.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Doug, I hope you like electric get-tar? STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC by Joe Satriani will get ya mo' electric guitar. If you like acoustic, the #1 pick is Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART, and who among you merry men of Sherwood Forest would argue that it's not a DSD reference recording?[​IMG] I expect this to be a very small group and, generally, the same group who preferred hamburger 'B' to Wendy's's juicy one. It rulz both on performance and audio quality.
    My next recomendation is Al Dimeola & John McLaughlin & Paco De Lucia's live album, FRIDAY NIGHT IN SAN FRANCISCO. Whole lotta' pickin' goin' on! Keeping with acoustic, Willie Nelson's STARDUST has plenty of him stroking gut strings.
    The Coryells' S/T album is awful good. The Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG could make you like jazz even if don't now. Don't buy Los Indios Tabajaras' ALWAYS IN MY HEART. The RCA CD I have with common cuts sound identical. It's an expensive HK import too. Don't pay it. The CD's are equal.
    [​IMG] I would like to see any of the three E.W. & the White Trash albums on SACD, or all of them. FRANKENSTEIN would be terrr-ific, agreed![​IMG] Best wishes, guyz!

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Thanks for the recommendations. As for Satriani, I have heard a bit of his material, but I was put off somewhat by the continual driving nature of his playing (for lack of a better description). Excellent guitarist, though, I have to admit.
    Have Stevie's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" [​IMG] . Like the J. Beck "Blow by Blow" SACD as well. Heard about the mch release of Stevie's stuff, but I can't make use of SACD mch at this time as my controller's 5.1 inputs are used for DVD-A, and I don't have a current desire to add a switching solution.
    Thanks again.
    Doug

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer