What's new

anybody else have overheat problems with an AVA250? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if I'm driving the sub hard for any length of time (say over 20 minutes) it overheats unless I put a fan blowing air across it.
the sub is a shiva 12, paralleled to the ava 250, so shouldn't be a load problem. Has anyone mounted a cooling fan on the heatsink? :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had mine for long. But I have it hooked up to a Tempest with the voice coils wired in parallel and haven't had any problems so far. Mine is even mounted on the side of a sonotube in a rather small enclosure (mind you the enclosure has thirty two 3/8" holes drilled in it). Over an hour of music and several movies over the last several nights hasn't had it get more than just warm to the touch.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Movies seem ok, it's just long periods of loud music, granted I do have the gain on the amp turned ALL the way up (what can I say I like bass) it's warm to the touch always from what i've noticed, it's mounted to the back of a small sealed enclosure, the amp has like 3 feet of airspace between it and the nearest object, and the room's a steady 72 degrees... I'm just wondering if there isn't something wrong..

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ok, you didn't state that it's shutting off on you. Ask DanW. at Adire about it, that's not a common problem with the AVA250.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
sorry. usually that's the only indication it's too warm. At least I'm assuming it's a thermal protection thing

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Philip,
It is possible there is a problem with the amp; however, are you running it consistently into clipping? This can greatly increase the heat dissipated in the amplifier itself (as well as play havoc with the driver).
If you would like to exchange your amplifier, please call us at 206-789-2919. If no one answers (we're typically on another line or down in the warehouse), please leave a message for Brian Bishop, and he'll arrange a swap of your amp.
Thanks,
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
------------------

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
nope, no clipping. Its loud as hell, but it's clean :) I'll give you guys a call in a few weeks if nothing turns up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks