Anybody else get a console for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I usually get lame gifts for Christmas, but this year, my parents have officially surprised me. I got a Nintendo Gamecube (jet black) with Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, an extra controller, and a memory card for Christmas... I am thinking of picking up Super Smash Bros. Melee this week too, man, Luigi's Mansion is better than I thought it would be and RL is just...amazing..
    ...anyways, I was wondering if anybody else made out like a banshee like me [​IMG]
    PS: J.FO was right [​IMG]

2. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Since I had already bought (Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox) prior to Christmas I didn't get any system surprises under the tree. But, what I did get that I wasn't expecting at all was Pikmin. What a great surprise, and a great game from what I've played so far. I also got FFX, but I knew I was getting that one.

Glad to hear you are having fun with your Gamecube.

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Rob;

You are now my favorite member of the Home Theater Forum.

4. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

My wife spoiled me and got me a jet black Gamecube and Rogue Leader II. But that's not all... she also got me an X-Box, extra controller, HD pack and Halo!! I think she's a keeper [​IMG]

5. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

I'm not really sure how to ask this question without sounding insulting, but I'm going to try as I cannot afford BOTH consoles. Aren't Nintendo games "cuter" while XBox has more "serious" games? That's an impression I get looking at the boxes and watching games at the displays.

There's nothing wrong with 45 year old 6'3" men liking Nintendo games, I'm just trying to decide for myself :-]

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I didnt get one, but my firned and my cousin both got an Xbox... i might go to my cousin's house tomorrow (HALO! DOA3!) after boxing day shopping, and im going to my firneds house new years eve (PGR!!) damn, so lucky!

7. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

My girlfriend got me a blue Gamecube with Luigi's Mansion and a memory card. Looks like I'll be blowing a little cash on some more games in the coming days!

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yup, I got a new console - the second Dreamcast I've been wanting/needing for backup & comfort [​IMG]

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Microsoft is aiming the X-Box at people who are in their late teens to late 20s, whereas Nintendo is trying to appeal to everyone. So the X-Box has more adult type games (violence, gore) than the GameCube.

I didn't get a console (got a GameCube last month, don't want an X-Box yet) but I got around 6 games, plus some cash, plus some other stuff.

10. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Congrats to those who got such cool gifts this holiday. Rob Varto, your wife is obviously the greatest girl in the world, you lucky guy! [​IMG]
    NickSo, can you please tell me what Boxing Day is...I've wondered about that for a few years.
    -Dan B

11. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I bought myself an XBOX with my Xmas bonus money. My girlfriend got me DOA3, the HD pack and MGS2 for PS2...gota love that. BTW..she got a gold necklace.
    Randy[​IMG]

12. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

An XBox, an extra controller, Halo, DOA3, PGR, and the HD Pack. (and a HT setup, too!)

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

No console for me since I already have a Camecube, X-box, and PS2. BUt I did get four new games. Devil May Cry and Tony Hawk 3 for the PS2 and Super Smash Bros. Melee and Wave Race: Blue Storm for the Gamecube. I also got an extra controller for the Cube as well. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

15. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

I received a Gamecube for Christmas... Though I had a hunch that I was getting it - so much so that I ordered the component cables to go with it a week before!

Between my wife and other family members I got a bunch of GC stuff...

Along with the console I got 3 extra controllers and 2 memory cards.

The games -

Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Super Monkey Ball

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Pikmin

Luigi's Mansion

Madden 2002

NHL Hitz 20-02

And we rented:

Tony Hawk 3

SSX Tricky

Wave Race

I have to say unlike the N64 launch some 5 years ago - this wasn't as exciting. The games are all ok - but there is no Mario 64 type of launch title here. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of solid titles - just not any major standouts. Hopefully those will be coming in the next year or so.

Anyway - I got my system a few days early so that my nieces and nephews could all play too. Needless to say we stuck to the multi-player games mostly. Out of those the most played games were - SSB:M, NHL Hitz, SMB and SSX Tricky. With the nod going to SSX Tricky since it seemed to be on the most. I'll be picking up this title after the rental goes back.

We all found Wave Race a little to hard to control and gave up on it pretty quickly. Seems better suited for single player. Madden got some play but was better with 2 rather than 4 players so not much play time for it. It's a great 2 player game though.

As for the single player games I really haven't had a lot of time with them yet. I keep coming back to SW:RL - this is a pretty cool game. Started Pikmin - seems good so far. I can't stand Luigi's Mansion - though the wife likes it. THPS3 is nice - but I need to get better to enjoy the game more...

Over all I'd say it's a solid game system - I am really looking forward for some big Nintendo Franchise games to come down the road.

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Thanks for explaining Boxing Day Brian. I'm glad to hear it doesn't involve people punching each other. (that's what hockey day is for)
    -Dan B

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, what brian said.. [​IMG]
    I dont really know the story behind boxing day except thats when the malls have huge sales and big stores like Futureshop and A&Bsound have crazy sales and lineups are huge... [​IMG]

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Boxing Day... isn't that where you dress the women up with candles on their heads, I think it was in my 5th grade history book...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I got a mall gift certificate and used it on an X Box controller, av pack and DVD remote. In the not too distant future I'll get the console plus a couple of games to go along with the accessories.

20. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

Wife got me a Cube, Star Wars RS, and THPS3, xtra controller, memory card, and extention cables for the controllers. Merry Christmas for me.