Anybody else feeling "tired"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frederick, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Over the last few weeks, I've been feeling pretty run-down. Just really drained. I attributed it to my new life. I just got married, and I now have an 8-yr. old that I have to wake up at 5:30 AM to get him ready to go to school. I used to get up around 6:30, so to compensate I've been going to bed about an hour earlier. But I still feel drained. Is it the weather? The change in the seasons? Old age? My wife and I changed our, uhm, "activities", so that we still get enough rest to function the next morning, so that isn't it. I don't do coffee. My diet's pretty good, and it hasn't changed. I don't drink or smoke, and I rarely drink carbonated beverages. All I know is lately I've been worn out. Is it just me? Any advice?

Freddy C.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

That's what vacations/getaways are for.

--
    Holadem

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I always notice a more pronounced sleepiness when fall arrives. Perhaps we were meant to hibernate?

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Definitely!!
    My schedule has gone from 10AM-6PM labs and classes to 6AM-4PM IVs, intubations, surgeries, and study time at night. Next up, 6 weeks of 4AM-7PM shifts in OB/GYN. [​IMG]
    In my case, it's the time shift + cooler sleeping weather + darker waking hours + the annoying frost on the windshield. Not bad, but it will take a bit of getting used to. I like the night hours. I've found that I'm much more refreshed if I actually go to bed when I get tired rather than staying up a few extra hours. That's probably a lot more difficult in your situation. Good luck.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, it's probably that your body clock is set for 6:30, and so while you're technically sleeping the same hours, you're not getting the same sleep

That's what's killing the teenage generation. 95% ofteenagers are set on waking up at the earliest 8-9AM, and the sleep loss is devastating

I never understood why HS starts at 7:30, while Elementary starts at 9. I never had any trouble getting up at 6AM when I was 6, but 16 are you kidding?

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

7. Jeff Kleist

Holadem, that's the thing

Children go to bed earlier, they're getting MORE sleep

Studies have shown that the wakeup times assosiated with 7:30 school start are the core of why so many kids are falling asleep in class.
    When I was 6 I could get up at 6AM no sweat

8. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

My son gets up about a quarter to 6. The bus picks him up at 6:40. He falls asleep on the bus, but not in school. We make him go to bed at 8:30, so he gets plenty of sleep. My wife says it's because he's growing, and growing takes a lot of energy. He also eats every time he moves, and doesn't get fat. Again, she says it's the growing thing. At this rate he'll be 12 ft. tall before he hits puberty ...

On the weekends I get up about 8:30. I take a nap during the day, maybe for an hour. But I still feel drained. Maybe it is the change of seasons and such. Or maybe it's a mental thing. I'm clueless ...

Freddy C.

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I always feel extremely drained by the end of the week. Getting up at 6:00 and going to bed at 10:30 takes a toll on a person who is ideally adjusted to go to bed at 2:00 and wake at 11:00 over the course of five days. Confounding this is the fact that I have a presidential outline due every Friday for AP US history, and I of course always leave it until Thursday night, which means I'm sitting in front of the computer for about four-five hours every Thursday night, so I'm basically running on fumes by Friday morning. However, the light at the end of the tunnel (dinner at Looney's and a weekend of great movies, which this weekend includes True Romance, Bridge on the River Kwai, Sands of Iwo Jima and High Noon) gives me just enough motivation to scrape by. That, and the promise of a Sunday full of football, which I'll unfortunately miss this weekend due to some damn family function.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

It Has to be the weather. I've been Dragging myself around lately and I have No idea why. I go to bed early 10:30 11:00 or so and I wake up at 8 I feel Like #@%%$. I need to start working out again to get the Blood Flowing.

11. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I've been juggling the idea of working out for my lunch hour. We have a facility in our building across the street. I thought about working out for 45 minutes, taking a shower, then coming back to my desk and eating something like a sandwich. But I thought it would make me more tired than I already feel.

Freddy C.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

14. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

When I was in high school, class started at 8:45am and the day was over at 3:35pm. But of course now those times are earlier, and to me that doesn't make sense. Kids need their sleep.

15. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

My son's in 3rd grade, and they get out of school at 1:30 pm. 8 am to 1:30 pm, could you imagine? That was a half-day when I was in school ...

Freddy C.

16. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

When I was in school, the bus would come by about 6:40 a.m. or so. School would go through to 1:00 or 1:30, I don't remember.

That was regardless of grade. K-12.

Sure made it easy.

Mike

17. Jeff Kleist

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Huh Jeff? All I said was that there are teachers out there that don't have a clue how to teach and really don't care if the kids learn or not. And it puts the kids to sleep. Its a fact. All of us have experienced it when we were kids in school and all kids today experience it also. Are there good teachers? Sure there are, but for every 1 good teacher there are dozens of others that are just in it for the job.

There is nothing political in any of that. As well as the fact that teachers should be paid more and that it shouldn't be as easy to get a teachers certificate as it is. Some people should not be teaching but do so because they couldn't decide what to major in in college so they choose education not having a clue what it really means.

Does the lack of sleep for kids hurt? Of course it does but I don't believe at all that it is the major reason kids fall asleep in class.

19. Jeff Kleist

You're correct in that it's not the only reason, however the direction in which such a conversation would go is going to turn ugly, I'm serious.

My mother's a teacher in an urban district a damn good one, and there are reasons why this happens. Like I said, email for more.

20. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer