What's new

Anybody Else Disappointed With Time/Life? (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Joe Lugoff said:
Hey, I just thought of something. If Time-Life has put out "The Carol Burnett Show" and now "Mama's Family," why don't they put out a set of all "The Family" sketches from "The Carol Burnett Show"?

Joe, I like your idea!!!! I don't know if they would consider doing it cause MOST of the family skits were on the Big Box set released last year. As well as on the Columbia House set release many years ago. I do wish they would have released more Carol Burnett Shows again.....there is still alot of shows out there that I remember, and would love to see released on DVD. Particularly, the Final Show which has Mama and Eunice going to see a psychiatrist. Good thing is that they will be releasing a true "The Carol Burnett Show" Christmas DVD this year (unlike the rip off last year that CLAIMED to be Christmas theme DVD of Carol Burnett, when actually it was Carol on The Gary Moore Show).

As for "Mama's Family", I will definitely still get the first 2 seasons (the ones with Carol Burnett and Rue McClenhan appearing) those were the original producton of the show, and were still along the lines of the "Family" sketches on "The Carol Burnett Show". The remaining seasons of "Mama's Family", I didn't care for, imo, because, for me, it just wasn't the same without Carol, Harvey Korman, Betty White (which she only appears once in the third season), and Rue McClennahan, who I liked her character on the show. I never could get into the second reincarnation of the show also cause I wasn't big on the Iola character, who was like Mama's second banana on the show.

I think everyone is entitled to the opinions, no one is condemning "Mama's Family" for being released on DVD.....Vicky Lawrence is wonderful as her character (throughout all the seasons).It's just some people liked only the "Family" skits on "The Carol Burnett Show", which were, again imo, COMEDY GOLD!!! And I will go beyond that and say the First and Second seasons of "Mama's Family" were pretty damn good too!!! Plus, I believe, it has not been confirmed yet, but the 1st and 2nd season sets will be release at retail (I don't know if it's Walmart exclusive or not) but the 1st season will contain the movie "Eunice", which I am definitely going to get.....Luv this special!!! In any case, I am glad Time Life/Star Vista will be offering different packaging options to "Mama's Family".

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Kasey said:
While I understand many people may find this show "lowbrow", "immature" or "an insult" to the Carol Burnett 'Family' sketches, I certainly don't see how it's "offensive". I would reserve that word for something like Jersey Shore or the Kardashians or any of the filthy, stupid 'reality' shows that have overprivelaged women cursing at each other with expletives bleeped out every other second. IMO watching those shows is the equivalent of swimming in a toilet bowl and more deserving of critcism than a fun guilty pleasure such as Mama.
Let me try to explain: I did not call the series "offensive." I said it offends ME. There's a difference. I never claimed that statement to be anything other than MY opinion of the show, not an objective statement. The reason it offends me is because of the very dumbing down of the source material, turning what was sophisticated human character commentary into lowbrow and juvenile corn, and the drastic changes in character, especially Eunice. And I never found the series funny. Not even Vicki's delivery made me crack a smile because the lines were so poor, in my opinion. If it hadn't been based on something so well-written and admired, I wouldn't have been offended. Anyway, that's why I said I was offended by it. I am NOT saying others should share my opinion. Nor am I knocking anyone who likes the show. As I said, all my favorite shows have been criticized and by some of the same people here in this thread, saying worse things than I ever said here. The only difference seems to be that they can dish it out, but not take it.
And I'll add one more thought: I thought it was very considerate of Frank to start a separate thread about this, instead of posting this in one of the 2 threads celebrating the release. I mean, really, what more does anyone want?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah, his considerate nature was taken into account. You know, starting a new thread specifically to trash a particular show (he can't fool ME by hiding his distaste under a generic-sounding "Time Life" thread) is far more conspicuous than carrying on in the Mama's Family conversation that had already been started.

And there you go again--taking another long, long paragraph to explain your democratic reasoning, and meanwhile--trashing the show even further. Good job.

Okay, so you have, as you insist--a right to your opinion. Fair enough. Nobody will argue that point. But let me ask you--from a purely logical viewpoint--WHY you chose to do so? That is, if you can answer the question (if you DO answer the question) without coming across as smug, condescending or patronizing...as you did in your last several posts.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Frank Soyke said:
I don't want to get overly political, but there is a certain amount of politics on this board regarding expressing one's opinion. Like the outside world, we supposedly have free speech... so as long as It agrees with the majority opinion. If you express a dissenting opinion, you get lambasted and accused of being a negative poster. My opinion is simple, each of us has the right to our opinion and we shouldn't be scared of the repercussions of stating it, even if it is not the popular view. To criticize me for stating I don't like a show, it is every bit as "personal" as the attacks you perceive. I love Wild, Wild West, Hogan's Heroes, and Mannix to name a few. If you don't them feel free to tell me so. Doesn't matter in my life. I didn't write, produce, or act in the shows. I have no monetary interest in any of them. I'm not insecure or embarassed by my preferences. I will still like them no matter what you say. There would never be any hard feelings. Peace
It's because you went out of your way to do so. I probably wouldn't have said anything, if you'd kept these same comments to the Mama's Family thread. But no--you had to go start a new one, solely to exercise your right of free speech in drawing specific attention to a particular show and therefore give yourself carte blanche to trash it. Your motives? I can't imagine--because I would never do it. That goes against any sort of goodwill that a message board should maintain.

I just think you're abusing your rights in this case.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Part of the issue here is the personal nature to which we are holding these shows. I've said it before and I'll say it again. These are all TV shows, not World War 3. Some of us are holding these shows dear to us as if they were our own children. As much as we love classic TV, this is small potatoes in the scope of life. If I don't like the show you do, so what? How does it really effect your life? My favorite show is Get Smart. If you don't like it, post it. Doesn't matter to me. This forum is made for our thoughts and opinions. Not to be a puppet for everyone else's opinions. I'm not insulting you as as a person because I don't like the show you do. I don't know you and it isn't my right or desire to disparage you. I started this thread because I personally thought that Time/Life could have chosen a lot better show to do a box set on than a mediocre 80's sitcom with poor writing, acting, and sophomoric scripts. I make no apologies about my opinion and I will continue to state it where applicable. It is nothing personal against anyone else's preferences.Let's stop being petty and put this stuff in perspective.

Now, if you will all excuse me, my neighbor said Gilligan's Island was garbage so I have to go and kick his butt. LOL

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ethan Riley said:
It's because you went out of your way to do so. I probably wouldn't have said anything, if you'd kept these same comments to the Mama's Family thread. But no--you had to go start a new one, solely to exercise your right of free speech in drawing specific attention to a particular show and therefore give yourself carte blanche to trash it. Your motives? I can't imagine--because I would never do it. That goes against any sort of goodwill that a message board should maintain.

I just think you're abusing your rights in this case.
What do you mean by "any sort of goodwill a message board should contain?" When were you appointed a proctor of this (or any) board who doles out or interprets rules? Whatever thread you "feel" my opinions should be included is irrelevant to me. It's called free speech. Look is up. I think it's in a little document you may have heard of called the constitution. I'm sorry I happen to disagree with your "divinely inspired" opinions, but it's nothing personal. You like the show, I think it's horrid. Let's agree to disagree. Peace.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ethan Riley said:
(he can't fool ME by hiding his distaste under a generic-sounding "Time Life" thread)

Okay, so you have, as you insist--a right to your opinion. Fair enough. Nobody will argue that point. But let me ask you--from a purely logical viewpoint--WHY you chose to do so? That is, if you can answer the question (if you DO answer the question) without coming across as smug, condescending or patronizing...as you did in your last several posts.
Why I chose to have an opinion? Did you really just ask me that?

Again, I attacked the show, not you or any other fan of the show. You have chosen to respond in this thread not to defend the series, but for the sole purpose of attacking me not just for expressing my opinion, but as the question above indicates, for even having one. And to think that the OP was trying to "fool" you with this thread as if this is all somehow directed at you personally is bizarre in the extreme. I now have to say I find you immature, rude and frankly a bit disturbing. Feel free to post how "patronizing and condescending" this response is, but I'll be ignoring all your future posts. Life is too short to deal with these kind of overly emotional posts.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Frank Soyke said:
What do you mean by "any sort of goodwill a message board should contain?" When were you appointed a proctor of this (or any) board who doles out or interprets rules? Whatever thread you "feel" my opinions should be included is irrelevant to me. It's called free speech. Look is up. I think it's in a little document you may have heard of called the constitution. I'm sorry I happen to disagree with your "divinely inspired" opinions, but it's nothing personal. You like the show, I think it's horrid. Let's agree to disagree. Peace.
Freedom of Speech is not just a right; it's also a responsibility. As such, if one is to exercise such right, one should learn the value of discretion simultaneously.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
JohnMor said:
Why I chose to have an opinion? Did you really just ask me that?

Again, I attacked the show, not you or any other fan of the show. You have chosen to respond in this thread not to defend the series, but for the sole purpose of attacking me not just for expressing my opinion, but as the question above indicates, for even having one. And to think that the OP was trying to "fool" you with this thread as if this is all somehow directed at you personally is bizarre in the extreme. I now have to say I find you immature, rude and frankly a bit disturbing. Feel free to post how "patronizing and condescending" this response is, but I'll be ignoring all your future posts. Life is too short to deal with these kind of overly emotional posts.
I was not being the least bit emotional. Nevertheless, you completely misunderstood my question. I was asking why you chose to voice your opinion. What did it accomplish? Anything good? Not so far as I can see.

Again--what benefits did you derive from voicing your opinions about this show? Oh wait--I'm "disturbing," and you are ignoring all my future posts. I guess, therefore, we'll never know--

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Frank Soyke said:
I love Wild, Wild West, Hogan's Heroes, and Mannix to name a few. If you don't them feel free to tell me so.
See, this verifies what we already knew, that different people like different things. I can't stand the very thought of "Hogan's Heroes." I can't find anything remotely funny about Nazis.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Frank Soyke said:
My favorite show is Get Smart. If you don't like it, post it. Doesn't matter to me.
OK, I'll take you up on that. I can't stand "Get Smart." I can't buy the premise that someone can even be that stupid, much less hold down his job. The joke got old about five minutes into the first episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I can't speak for Joe but I think he was making a point about the limits that society puts on freedom of speech and not comparing or equating the two things.

That being said, I think it'd be a good time for everyone to keep taking that breath and be cool.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ethan Riley said:
Well, that would suit me fine. Because the whole thing was intended as a flame thread in the first place.
I have already told you that I started to the thread to state my opinion on Time/Life's choice of releases. Nothing more. Not to attack ANYONE. Why you are on a soapbox on this criticizing me and questioning my motives, I have no idea. I'ts free speech, whether you agree with what I say or not. I welcome debate on anything I post, but this is not debate. It's just you telling me what I should or should not post, and what thread I should put it in. Not acceptable. If you don't like what I post, ignore it. That is ANOTHER right you can excercise.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe Lugoff said:
Isn't this fun?
Joe, what is the difference between our expressing our opinions of Mama's Family and you expressing your opinions in this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/323406-what-once-beloved-tv-character-now-strikes-you-as-being-annoying/?hl=%2Bwhat+%2Bonce+%2Bbeloved

#26 of 155 - The Lucy Show and Burns and Allen
It goes far beyond any kind of realistic stupidity or wackiness into an impossibly brain-damaged person who wouldn't last an hour working in a real bank. It's so easy to write "stupid" like that, with no rhyme or reason to it. And, yes, Lucy stunk at it but it was hardly a knee-slapper when Gracie did it.
#42 of 155 - Various children in shows
We haven't talked much about the kids that weren't any good: Mushmouth Little Ricky - obnoxious Rusty and smirking Linda Williams - Beaver's disgusting friends Whitey, Gilbert and that fat one named Harry they tried to replace Larry with and who lasted one season - the way cute Beaver and Opie morphed into dorky teenagers who had nothing going for them - nauseating Buffy and Jody - the even-more nauseating Dodie and the totally unappealing Livingston brothers on the later "My Three Sons" -- I could go on and on and on but this is painful.
#55 of 155 - Bewitched
I wouldn't expect that from the totally self-centered Endora, Maurice, Uncle Arthur, Serena, etc. - or the brain dead Aunt Clara - but if Darrin was so good, he should have thought of it. Samantha never thought of it because she's exactly like her mother -- she only wants what she wants and no one can tell her otherwise. She only wanted Darrin because she knew it would aggravate her mother. There's no other way to explain it, because he has absolutely nothing going for him.
"Stupid," "brain-damaged," "disgusting," "fat," "nauseating," "brain dead." Why are those only your opinions, but my comments are attacks on all fans of MF?

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Can we get back to the subject matter of the thread please? Ethan Riley....it's about a sitcom!!! If you don't like what the comments are being made.....then move on!!!! Frank, Joe, and John have every right to say what they feel......once again about a sitcom!!! GET OVER IT!!!! And move on!!!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Joe Lugoff said:
See, this verifies what we already knew, that different people like different things. I can't stand the very thought of "Hogan's Heroes." I can't find anything remotely funny about Nazis.
Well, certainly many Germans/Austrians were not supportive or agreed with the Nazi agenda. Neither did many soldiers. The POW camp is staffed by the German Army not the Gestapo.

Many people enjoyed this popular sit-com. Mel Brooks made a fortune out of making fun of Nazis. All of the comedies of that era were silly and meant to be light-hearted entertainment. To each his own.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I will respond to no more comments on this thread. I started it for the simple purpose of giving an an opinion and someone made a federal case out of it. I hold firm to my initial point about the show but this has gotten totally ridiculous. Over a darn TV show????? I apologize to all the other posters on here who were subjected to this ridiculous stuff instead of a fun conversation. I did not intend that. I am in no way sorry that I posted it but since there is such an issue, I will not engage anymore in any discussion on this post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some have crossed the line with their recent postings. Consider this your final warning before further action is required to enforce our posting guidelines. By the way, stop with the Freedom of Speech references as this isn't the proper forum for such discussion nor does that right apply to this privately owned forum.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
LOL. Stop talking about Freedom of Speech. An all-time example of irony.

JohnMor, you quoted me from a thread about characters we used to like but don't like any more.

The odd thing about all of this is I really couldn't care less. I need to find out why I have a compulsion to express myself on the Internet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joe Lugoff said:
LOL. Stop talking about Freedom of Speech. An all-time example of irony.

JohnMor, you quoted me from a thread about characters we used to like but don't like any more.

The odd thing about all of this is I really couldn't care less. I need to find out why I have a compulsion to express myself on the Internet.
You can talk about it all you want, but not here and I'm not laughing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks