What's new

Anybody Else Disappointed With Time/Life? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I certainly don't want want to offend anyone and I am only stating my own personal preference here but I was quite disappointed to find out this years Time/Life's annual release would be Mama's Family. I just thought with all the classic TV left to be released, this was kind of a weak choice. I guess I have come to expect a lot from Time/Life as they came out of the box strong with Get Smart, UNCLE, and 6 Million Dollar Man, so I guess I was expecting a little more from them especially seeing as we will now have to wait for the 2014 holiday season for the next release.
Just to clarify before I am lambasted and called negative, this is just my own preference. I just don't like the show and don't consider it classic TV. I love Mannix and it would be no different for someone who personally didn't like it to be disappointed when they saw it on CBS's release schedule and would rather another show would be released in that spot instead.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Their deal with "Carol Burnett" would have eventually led them to "Mama's Family". Not a weak choice in my book - for years there has been quite loud requests for the show on DVD. It's going to be a very strong seller for them, I'm sure.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Mama's Family isn't really to my liking, either, but what exactly were you expecting? Hopefully, you weren't really expecting Batman. If you were, you probably need to do some more reading.

I don't like Mama's Family, but I understand why they did it: apparently, the Carol Burnett set sold well enough, and it would make sense to follow that one up with a "spin-off".

Seriously, though, what show(s) were you thinking about? I'm not being snippy, I'd really like to know what you had in mind. Maybe Time-Life would like to know, too!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Hoping they'll eventually release some smaller packages outside of the TimeLife website too (so non-US fans can enjoy).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
classicmovieguy said:
Hoping they'll eventually release some smaller packages outside of the TimeLife website too (so non-US fans can enjoy).
Yes, each season set, as well as the "Bets Of's," will eventually be available to retailers.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
AndyMcKinney said:
Mama's Family isn't really to my liking, either, but what exactly were you expecting? Hopefully, you weren't really expecting Batman. If you were, you probably need to do some more reading.

I don't like Mama's Family, but I understand why they did it: apparently, the Carol Burnett set sold well enough, and it would make sense to follow that one up with a "spin-off".

Seriously, though, what show(s) were you thinking about? I'm not being snippy, I'd really like to know what you had in mind. Maybe Time-Life would like to know, too!
In answer to your first question, I was not expecting something like Batman or Wonder Years as I am fully aware of the huge blockades preventing a release of either, although I will say that if anyone has the resources to make either of these work, it would be Time/Life. I don't think either one is completely out of the question for them at some point.
As far as alternatives I personally would see as a better fit for my tastes, my suggestions would be popular stalled long runners like Maude, One Day At A Time, Benson, or possibly license from CBS stalled ultra popular shows for full run releases like Love Boat, Happy Days, or Hillbillies. Can you imagine the extras that would probably be included on a Time/Life Hillbillies or Happy Days complete series set? I just personally feel that I would rather see any of these than a middle of the pack 80's sitcom.
I hope that answers your question adequately, Remember that this is my opinion only

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Frank Soyke said:
I certainly don't want want to offend anyone and I am only stating my own personal preference here but I was quite disappointed to find out this years Time/Life's annual release would be Mama's Family. I just thought with all the classic TV left to be released, this was kind of a weak choice. I guess I have come to expect a lot from Time/Life as they came out of the box strong with Get Smart, UNCLE, and 6 Million Dollar Man, so I guess I was expecting a little more from them especially seeing as we will now have to wait for the 2014 holiday season for the next release.
Just to clarify before I am lambasted and called negative, this is just my own preference. I just don't like the show and don't consider it classic TV. I love Mannix and it would be no different for someone who personally didn't like it to be disappointed when they saw it on CBS's release schedule and would rather another show would be released in that spot instead.
I understand what you're saying. Not only do I dislike this series, it actually offends me. Next to the "Family" sketches on TCBS, I find the writing on MF to be insultingly juvenile. And the production always reminded me of a high school play. LOL. BUT, I am very thrilled for the many fans of the show who are getting the show the way ALL shows should be on DVD! I think it's great what Time-Life is doing with the show, even if I won't be buying it. And who knows what next year will bring.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Let my throw in a couple of more current series that would be better alternatives IMO.

1) A Different World - Long running Cosby produced well done sitcom with re-occuring greats such as Dianne (sp?) Caroll and Patti LaBelle

2) Cold Case - Probably one of the best long running crime shows of the past decade. Music clearances would be daunting, but if they could clear China Beach, they could clear this one.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Randy Korstick said:
Has CBS ever licensed a TV show to anyone?
Quite a few, at least according to their syndication bible. Branded, Will Sonnett, Get Smart, Family Affair, and Car 54 to name a few.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Frank Soyke said:
Quite a few, at least according to their syndication bible. Branded, Will Sonnett, Get Smart, Family Affair, and Car 54 to name a few.
Also, Webster was licensed by Shout! Factory and VEI has picked up Diagnosis: Murder and The Mod Squad.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just another possibility. How about a proper Laugh-In release? This show was excessively popular in it's time and I think a complete series set with a bunch of extras would have tremendous marketability. A least equal to Mama's Family. Plus, as far as show quality and writing, Laugh-In is far superior IMO.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
None of these were owned by CBS Paramount for Home Video Distribution and were not licensed from them. The CBS titles you mentioned for release like happy days, hillbillies are still owned by CBS/Paramount and while possible I don't see them licensing them out based on their track record. Plus there are strong rumours we may see Hillbillies start up again soon.

Frank Soyke said:

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Frank Soyke said:
Just another possibility. How about a proper Laugh-In release? This show was excessively popular in it's time and I think a complete series set with a bunch of extras would have tremendous marketability. A least equal to Mama's Family. Plus, as far as show quality and writing, Laugh-In is far superior IMO.
I don't like to refer to things as "dated" because to some extent, everything is a product of its times. But "Laugh-In" is incredibly dated. It bombed in syndication. I saw it a while back and sat there stone faced. It struck me as a bunch of very old jokes, going back to vaudeville and burlesque, done in a "mod" 60s style to make people think they were cutting edge and new.

Even in its day its popularity was short-lived. It was #1 for two seasons then dropped so fast it was gone only three years later. It was a fad. Only "Batman" did worse.

Add in the fact that it's 40+ years old, meaning those who look back on it nostalgically are getting up there in years -- and younger people probably never heard of it because it had no afterlife in syndication -- and I think it's fairly certain that it would not be a big success on DVD.

You'd be surprised how many fans of "The Family" from "The Carol Burnett Show" and the subsequent "Mama's Family" there are walking around loose out there. I happen to be one of them myself. I personally have never heard anyone reminisce nostalgically about "Laugh-In." Watching clips from it on YouTube makes me think, "What were we thinking?" It's pretty awful.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Joe Lugoff said:
I don't like to refer to things as "dated" because to some extent, everything is a product of its times. But "Laugh-In" is incredibly dated. It bombed in syndication. I saw it a while back and sat there stone faced. It struck me as a bunch of very old jokes, going back to vaudeville and burlesque, done in a "mod" 60s style to make people think they were cutting edge and new.

Even in its day its popularity was short-lived. It was #1 for two seasons then dropped so fast it was gone only three years later. It was a fad. Only "Batman" did worse.

Add in the fact that it's 40+ years old, meaning those who look back on it nostalgically are getting up there in years -- and younger people probably never heard of it because it had no afterlife in syndication -- and I think it's fairly certain that it would not be a big success on DVD.

You'd be surprised how many fans of "The Family" from "The Carol Burnett Show" and the subsequent "Mama's Family" there are walking around loose out there. I happen to be one of them myself. I personally have never heard anyone reminisce nostalgically about "Laugh-In." Watching clips from it on YouTube makes me think, "What were we thinking?" It's pretty awful.
I definitely agree with you that Laugh-In is dated especially with regard to it's political and social references but be aware that many other great series are as well. For example, no one would probably suggest that All In The Family shouldn't merit a release even though it is probably one of the most dated series of all time. Mary Tyler Moore, Maude, Good Times are as well and many others. The point I was trying to make is that Laugh-In was a much more quality series with regard to writing and humor. IMO, Mama's Family was mostly garbage, bathroom, lowest common denominator humor with sub-par acting (even from greats like Betty White). Dorothy Lyman was horrendous. Easily one of the worst sit-com actresses ever. Right up there with Celia Weston. As far as having many fans, Jackass has a lot of fans too, but it doesn't make it a quality series. If a comparison is made between Laugh-In and Mama, as far as quality of series is concerned, this is no contest. Only my opinion.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Frank Soyke said:

I definitely agree with you that Laugh-In is dated especially with regard to it's political and social references but be aware that many other great series are as well. For example, no one would probably suggest that All In The Family shouldn't merit a release even though it is probably one of the most dated series of all time. Mary Tyler Moore, Maude, Good Times are as well and many others. The point I was trying to make is that Laugh-In was a much more quality series with regard to writing and humor. IMO, Mama's Family was mostly garbage, bathroom, lowest common denominator humor with sub-par acting (even from greats like Betty White). Dorothy Lyman was horrendous. Easily one of the worst sit-com actresses ever. Right up there with Celia Weston. As far as having many fans, Jackass has a lot of fans too, but it doesn't make it a quality series. If a comparison is made between Laugh-In and Mama, as far as quality of series is concerned, this is no contest. Only my opinion.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I would like to sample Laugh-In as I've never really watched it. I've heard comparisons between it and Hee-Haw, with Hee-Haw being the countrified version. I can watch Hee-Haw to this day and it doesn't seem dated at all, even the 70's shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks