Anybody else disappointed in gaming lately?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Gio, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Chris Gio

Chris Gio Agent

Recently, I've found my tastes in gaming are becoming more and more picky. I decided on an Xbox above the other two next-gen consoles back in December due to its advanced hardware, quality titles, and because of its producer: Microsoft. But past its launch, things have been rather shallow. And I look at PS2 and GCN and realize that they have things a lot worse. Consoles are so linear...

So, I turn to my beloved PC. I play Day of Defeat regularly, but I find most of the maps bog down my extremely dated system and my parents never seem to understand how badly we need an upgrade. This poses a problem, considering it holds me back from playing any of today's PC games. For God's sake, Day of Defeat is a mod from a 3 year old game and it STILL gives massive slowdown. How sad.

Is anybody else becoming a lot pickier with gaming?

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've been a picky gamer for about 15 years [​IMG] For every 1 good high profile game a year there are 20 or so crappy high profile games.

3. Chris Gio

Chris Gio Agent

Amen to that.
    And I also see that this thread isn't too popular. [​IMG]

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I have become so disappointed in gaming that I have left console gaming for good.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

PC gaming seems to be more daring right now...that's where the innovations are happening. Innovation is still slow to come but the PC offers more gameplay tweaks than I find on the consoles.

That's where I never understood the "Xbox is a PC in disguise" arguement. I always thought that was a good thing.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Hmm, and I thought it was looking extremely bright.

On the one hand we have some extremely well crafted single player console games like GTA3, Halo, and MGS2. And these games have a lot of depth and integrity to keep me going back to them.

On the other hand, we have games like Medal of Honor with it's exceptional single player environments and immersive levels. Couple that with some releases like Mafia, Warcraft 3, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2, and Worlds of Warcraft, and it's looking pretty positive. DoD works wonderfully on my system and is a real shining jewel for the Half Life mod community.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

From my point of view things have never been better. I have to budget my time from game to game to ensure I get to play all the games I want. For the record I have a PS2 and GCN and think they are both great. I'm not much of a PC gamer however, I do pick up the occasional game.

-Andre F

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only games I'm looking at coming out in the forseeable future

Buffy

Jet Set Radio Future

Command & Conquer Renegade

Jedi Knight 2:Jedi Outcast

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I can't say that I've been disappointed, no. Since I got my new PC and the Xbox I've been buying too many games as it is, both in the sense that I'm spending too much money and also that I barely have time for all of them. I've been accumulating all these games that I've only partially finished.
    With the PC, admittedly, I'm buying at least as many old games that wouldn't have run on my old PC as new games, but there's new stuff coming out all the time that calls to me. The only thing holding me back from CivIII, for example, is that I know it'll utterly destroy what little life I have left if I get it. And the Xbox, despite a lack of high profile "killer aps" beyond Halo, has had a steady stream of solid games coming out for it every month. I already have almost as many Xbox games in four months as I owned in about four or five years of owning an N64 (thank god I didn't spring for a PS2 or Gamecube on top of that or things would be even worse [​IMG]). So I'm not disappointed. If anything, I'm hoping things slow down a bit [​IMG]

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, I just past the point of owning more Dreamcast games than I did for each previous console. Put together. Goodness knows when I'll be done with this stack of brilliant titles, and even ready to join the so-called 'current' generation. Wonderful games like Rez, F355, Crazy Taxi (and its sequel), Rayman 2 etc. are eating enough of my time as it is without upgrading again.

13. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Maybe it's just the xbox. I got one and have been looking for a killer title for a couple of months now...I'm mostly into sports and action titles, but i'd get a killer game no matter what the genre..i guess we'll have to wait and see what the next 6 months to a year brings.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

16. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Considering that we're coming off probably the biggest year in console gaming history, what with two new systems launching within days of each other, GTAIII, MGS2, Sega going third-party, PS2 coming around to finally kick as much ass as Sony promised, I think it's just natural that there's going to be a little let-down with all the great stuff that happened in 2001 raising our expectations.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'll have to go with Iain, Dreamcast's library is STILL better than all 3 of the other consoles put together.

Sigh.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I would have to disagree with the quality of the DC's library, simply because I hate racing and sports games (which cuts out a lot of games) and was severely disappointed by a few of the bigger games. But, thats just me.

Anyway, when you look at what the PS2 got after the end of the summer last year, you can see why there's nothing out right now. I easily got 7 games within the span of a week or two for the PS2 in September, and all of them were GREAT. The X-Box and GameCube had all their great games out before X-mas because of the holiday, and the PS2 already had all their great holiday games out, so there's nothing left right now.

19. Chris Gio

Chris Gio Agent

Here's what I'm looking for: A kick-ass PC that will last me a while. I want to be able to play today's PC games.
    Also, I want the Xbox's online plan to launch. Hell, Xbox has some of the greatest games I've ever played (If you ask me, GT3 doesn't have anything on PGR). But I need a job, also. Because there is a barrage of games coming for the Xbox all this year, starting in March.
    Maybe I'm just in such a state of excitement that I can't wait any longer for March to come. Because honestly, Xbox will rock your damn face ALL YEAR. I believe this is its year to shine. [​IMG]

20. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I agree that its the post Christmas combined with the post launch dry spells making it bad. I felt this way last year with my PS2. And I don't think XBox has it best. PS2 is getting the most and the best games for my dollar right now.

jeremy