Anybody else "Beatled out"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Steve Meskell, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Well not me....I love all the new stuff this week. LIBN is good not great, but those John and George DVD's are amazing. Yoko and Olivia [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Beatle + DTS = [​IMG]

2. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Very tricky, except your thread title "anyone ELSE beatled out" means that you are beatled out. Then you contradict yourself in your post.[​IMG]

But to answer the question, how could you ever get Beatled out? They rule.

- Jack

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I think the 1st 125 albums I bought were all by the beatles. When other kids were buying Styx albums I was buying "Two Virgins", Wonderwall & Singles with picture sleeves. Remember "Beatles on 45"? That sort of disapperared but I still have it stored away someplace

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Jack said; it's impossible to be "Beatled out."

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The Beatles, Elvis are among a select group of performers whose music will be enjoyed by many generations to follow.

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Being Beatled-Out is like having too much sex.

No such thing!

7. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Not yet, but it's only been about 40 years and 3000 records/tapes/cd's for me. Maybe in my next life...

8. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

What's next Beatles-wise? Let It Be Naked has been released. Will the Let It Be movie be released on DVD? Remastering next? Hi-Rez?

9. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Mark,

Lets hope its Hi-Rez!! [​IMG]

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I am missing 'Rarities' in my collection.

Glenn

11. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

13. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Marvin;

"Rarities" was issued in 2 forms on both sides of the Atlantic. The UK version was generally designed for completion of tracks that had never appeared in LP form in England at that time (most tracks were b-sides and EP exclusives), and originally issued in a box set with all original British Beatle albums in 1978. Due to popular demand, the album became available separately in October 1979. Real British 'rarities' included:

- the version of 'Across The Universe' mixed exclusively for a wildlife charity album (by opening and closing the song with bird sound effects), which predated its appearance on 'Let It Be' by nearly a year

- 'Sie Liebt Dich' and 'Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand' (recorded for German release)

The U.S. edition issued in March 1980 was a more interesting release. It also gave U.S. buyers a few first-time Capitol LP releases, including leftover Vee-Jay tracks, and some true 'rarities':

- 'Love Me Do' - original Ringo version, which was not released in the U.S., but was first released in Canada (since the tapes were thought lost, they 'cleaned up' a copy of the Canadian single)

- 'Misery' - Vee-Jay track, left out of 'The Early Beatles'

- 'There's A Place' - Vee-Jay track; first stereo LP appearance

- 'Sie Liebt Dich' in stereo

- 'And I Love Her' has extra measures at the end, taken from the German 'Something New' album

- 'Help' mono single version - different vocal takes

- 'I'm Only Sleeping' - UK mix, backwards guitar mix is much different

- 'I Am The Walrus' - A new composite of the British version with the longer intro, plus the inclusion of the longer instrumental break between 'I'm Crying' and 'Yellow Matter Custard' that appeared on the Canadian single

- 'Penny Lane' - features the edit made for the promo single which has the piccolo trumpet tag

- 'Helter Skelter'/'Don't Pass Me By' - British mono mixes (The 'White Album' was never issued in North America in stereo)

- 'The Inner Light'/'You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) - first time in LP form (although mono)

- 'Across The Universe' - Wildlife album version same as UK release

- 'Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove' - run-out groove loop never issued on the North American version until the 20th anniversary CD

The superior packaging of the North American version featured a copy of the infamous 'butcher cover' photograph on the inside of the gatefold cover.

For more info, visit rarebeatles.com.

Another great LP package is the out-of-print 'The Beatles Box' (1980), a British mail-order box set that had several rare mixes, borrowing examples from the US 'Rarities':

[​IMG]

The 8 LP set includes:

- 'Love Me Do' - (2:19) - Original single version w/Ringo on drums

- 'All My Loving' - (2:04) - features a 6 tap hi hat intro

- 'And I Love Her' - (2:47) - as on the US 'Rarities')

- 'I Feel Fine' - (2:19) - true stereo version that begins with tapping drum sticks, whispers etc.

- 'Day Tripper' - (2:37) - Different stereo mix (found on "Yesterday & Today")

- 'I'm Only Sleeping' - (2:58) - Extremely rare version with the slightly delayed guitar solo

For completelists looking for more legitimate releases of rare remixes, pick up the Beatles EP collection, containing all the British mono EPs (rare mono mixes from 'Long Tall Sally', and from 'Help' and Rubber Soul' albums), with 'Magical Mystery Tour' containing separate mono and stereo CDs and the read-along book.

[​IMG]

There is also a bonus EP featuring stereo mixes of 4 songs, with 'She's A Woman' having a 4-beat count-in by Paul. These tracks were available in stereo in England for the first time (when the set originally appeared on vinyl in December 1981).

The 'Beatles Singles Collection' features all original British mono and stereo singles...

[​IMG]

...and is great for original mono mixes, the rare mono 'Help', and the longest version of 'Hey Jude', at 7:15

Whew!

14. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Keith, Thanks for the link to rarebeatles.com. I've never seen that site. The page you linked to had some interesting info on the old "Collectors Items" and "Casualties" bootlegs.

Oh, and "Nothing is Beatleproof." [​IMG]

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Let it be... Naked is probably my favorite presentation of the Beatles on CD. That said, this speaks more to the poor presentation quality of all the previous releases of the various albums than anything else.

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I haven't bought much on cd, especially chronological Number 1 compilations, and am sticking with the vinyl reissues from the 80's and a few originals.

But I miss the "compilations" that used to be on vinyl and casstte but don't seem to have come to cd.

There was one of Rock and Roll? (all uptempo stuff from the early years), and Love Songs (all on that theme). I have the Beatle Love Song collection album (2 records), but would like to see it on a more convenient format.

[​IMG]

I suppose that as long as all the original LPs are available (on CD) as distinct entities, we should all be very happy, but I think some intelligently themed compilations from the huge library of Beatles songs would be nice...

17. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Well, I for one just got Let It Be...Naked and I gotta say I'm anything but "Beatled out". Let It Be was always one of my very favorite Beatles albums and I haven't had it in my CD collection. I had it on vinyl from the '80s, although I no longer have a record player. [​IMG] I loved the album, but the Phil Spector production always seemed to me to be tacked-on and it always annoyed me, especially on "Long and Winding Road", "Across the Universe" and mostly "I Me Mine". I had the film on Beta (no Beta player anymore though, went on the fritz years ago [​IMG] [​IMG] ) and I thought the footage of them playing these songs in the studio sounded so much better without the "Wall of Sound".

That being said, I was eagerly looking forward to this CD. Finally got it yesterday and it hasn't disappointed in the slightest. Not only has it answered my prayer about hearing the album minus Spector, but it sounds better than ever. Sir Paul was right when he said how excited he was to be able to mix it so well with newer technology. And the bonus Fly On The Wall disc doesn't hurt at all.

And I Me Mine rocks!!! Yah, daddy!!

18. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I guess you are assuming everyone in the world is a Beatles fan? There are many who are not.

19. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Then don't post in Beatle threads.

20. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Right!
    I looked at that John Lennon DVD and didn't pick it up (STUPID!), and now I've hit the "No More Buying DVDs For Yourself Until After Christmas" ultimatum from the wife! ACK!