Anybody buy one of the new Neil Young STIR-EO DVD-A's, I did

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I bought a copy of American Star'n Bars. It's not one of his all-time great albums, and he has atleast a half dozen of 'em IMO, but atleast it ends with LIKE A HURRICANE & HOMEGROWN which are both quite nice. Sonically, I'm really impressed and I'm not easily impressed. Somehow I doubt his 60's and early 70's stuff could get this level of impact on DVD-A. If they can even get close, bring 'em on!

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    "...Where are all the humpin' people at, where they at...?" I know these were not the most exciting titles in his lengthy catalog but I'm amazed that nobody else picked one of the trio up.

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I have them, but time hasn't permitted me the opportunity to spin 'em in my system.

Cheers,

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I plan to pick them up next payday, but I've been waiting for someone to A-B them with the CDs that came out awhile ago. Had they been multi-channel I wouldn't have thought twice about double dipping.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Larry, I just bought the one. Stars'n Bars, and I won't be buying the other two. I don't have the CD or LP for that matter but it sounded so airy and realistic to me. It doesn't sound like a CD to me. I want Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or his first album to get this treatment....

6. Ken Groulx

Ken Groulx Stunt Coordinator

I purchased all three of them. Unfortunately, I had to send my Pioneer 563A in for the firmware update to actually be able to play them in Advance Resolution. [​IMG]

Neil has been very open in his disdain for the CD format, and he has made it his mission to get his catalog onto DVD-Audio as an archive for his music, so you may see those titles you mentioned, Rachael - someday.

I wouldn't deprive yourself of 'On The Beach' though. It is an absolute stone classic from Neil that doesn't possess any 'hits', or even well-known songs, but is an astonishing portrait of '70s disillusionment. Very highly thought of amongst his core audience. (High Fidelity Review also gave it a very enthusiastic review on their website).

Cheers,

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Maybe I'll try On The Beach sometime Ken? If I heard it way back when, I don't remember anything about it. Neil's disdain for CD's is one that I share with him. [​IMG]

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The title track for On the Beach is one of Neil's greatest songs. Why it wasn't on Decade is a mystery.

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Didn't pick these up as the local Best Buy and Circuit City stores did not get in any stock last week. The Best Buys near me seem to have all but given up on getting new Hi-res releases in either format. Probably have to order these online.

I did pick up Greendale however on DVD-A and have been digging it for the most part. Reminds me of Neil's older and better work in some ways. The multichannel track is a little wacky at times, but overall satisfying.

J