What's new

anybody buy from local dealers anymore? (1 Viewer)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the prices quoted for receivers by members here are from online, and often not authorized dealers. Why is this so common? I know the prices are often MUCH lower (i buy a lot of

Ashok

Agent
Edit: Sorry, I guess reliableaudiovideo.com is not authorized for any of their products. I guess that you are right, although I think if you bought from a true authorized dealer (jandr for example, which has excellent pricing) that later went out of business, your warranty would still be valid.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I buy all of my equipment from a local authorized A/V dealer for those very reasons. If I have a problem, I know I can get my equipment serviced under warranty with no hassles.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
i just found out that the harman/kardon AVR 320 has TWO power supplies and sounds a bit better than the Denon (to those used to harman/kardon sound, i.e. me). Fortunately, onecall.com is an authorized vendor and the 320 is only $630!!! If only circuit city carried that model and for around $650...

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
i always do that way i can see feel and hear it im lucky that i live in a big city (las vegas) i have a lot of places i can go to look but some of you have to mail order your stuff that can be bad you cant compair

Scott Sargent

Auditioning
I'm looking at buying a receiver soon, and will probably buy from an authorized dealer. But, to save money, I'll use my Amex Blue card, then pricematch that to an unauthorized dealer online.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
well, i did it! i bought the harman/kardon AVR 320 with 5 year extended warranty through onecall.com's 800 number. very efficient person on the other end. gosh i feel guilty already. but,

Chip E

Screenwriter
Scott,

Ive done the same thing... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I bought all my gear authorized however, i've also used unauthorized prices as bargaining chips. I usually omit that the low price is unauthorized unless asked. If they agree to the price, it's fair in my book. Usually big ticket items (rptv's & flagship receivers) i'll simply haggle with a local dealer the best i can. dvd players & cd players are internet options for me. (although i've bought these locally too) I think i've done quite well in this regard.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
Not many buy their Paradigm products online. That is because Paradigm doesn't allow it. I figure if the other manufacturers would follow suit than they wouldn't have to worry about it. Other than that, I am looking for the best price. No guilt here. I got mouthes to feed. :)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Well, if you have ever bought or browsed at an electronics store where the salespeople work on commission, then the economics of it should be clear to you. Commission salespeople at many places have their commissions doubled when they sell you an "extended warranty" on a item. This is true because these establishments (particularly the larger chains) understand that a piece of solid state electronics (e.g. a receiver or a television) will most likely manifest any problem within the first 30 days, where a typical store return policy is in effect, or else beyond 48 months, where even extended warranties will lapse. It is not impossible to have issues beyond 30 days, just statistically unlikely enough that if a store collects even $40 for a warranty on a $500 item, the store can look at that $40 as being 90%+ profit. Think about it.

Now after considering that, how does this calculus apply to the difference between paying $800 at an authorized dealer (online or B&M) for a Denon 2802 vs. $500 from an unauthorized dealer, the difference being a 30 day warranty (or in some cases 90 day) vs. 24 months?

Now paying for a warranty is exactly the same as buying insurance. And we all know that insurance companies make money by taking in more in premiums than they pay out in claims. But people buy anyway because they gain an additional commodity - peace of mind. However, a receiver breaking down after six months and you having to pay for it once in your life is not something to lose sleep over. It won't break you like running someone over in a car. The fact is, if you make a practice of purchasing every item you own for 30% less but have to eat the cost of repair that becomes necessary between 30 days and 24 months, it is a virtual guaranty you will come out way on top in the long run.

Of course, there is the consideration of being able to take the item back to a store rather than ship it off, and having human contact in the purchasing process (which can be either desirable or undesirable, depending on circumstances). These are intangibles, and will be given weight according individual sensibility. Generally, the best case scenario is to purchase an item from a B&M outlet in a clearance sale, or failing that, to get an online authorized merchant to price match. But absent these options, buying at the cheapest online price is playing the percentages rather well IMO.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to buy any equipment online. I would rather have an authorized B+M to walk into if I have a problem. There are exceptions to this personal rule but not many. SVS, Outlaw, and Bettercables come to mind. Of course, none of those companies have a B+M option but their products are worth it.

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
While I buy both online and locally, some things I will only purchase from my local tweeters;they are knowledgeable and very helpful;to be able to demo the unit and take it home is worth a little extra to me; on lots of units, Tweeter is very competitive

David Cohn

Grip
I have only bought receivers from internet retailers.

The price difference for my Denon 2802 was too great to ignore. Got it double-boxed and delivered on time from Reliable for $550 + $20 shipping. Going to a local store would have been $800 + $56 tax. A no brainer.

OTOH, I would only buy higher end equipment from a B&M. For example, if I were to buy a B&K seperates or PSB Gold speakers then I would not be comfortable going over the internet. Many higher end manufacturers only sell through B&M (B&W, Rotel, Paradigm, etc).

As far as Reliable, they are simply a conduit for several B&M stores. For example, my Denon was delivered by Uncle's Stereo ... a store in NYC with a solid history. Got great service from Uncle's and feel very confident that they will be around for the length of the warranty.

Do a forum search for 'Denon' and 'warranty'. This has been discussed before.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
There are a couple of very interesting points raised here:

- The American Express 'benefits of membership'

- The outrageous price difference

I'm looking at a Harman-Kardon AVR520, Canadian Retail Price: $1,700. ($1,000 US)... can be had on-line for $630. US ($810. from onecall.com authorized dealer, someone said).

A $1,400. Yamaha can be had here for $1,000-$1,200. from a dealer (15%-30% off, more or less).

If I take 25% off $1,700., I get $12xx.00, meaning that I should be able to buy locally for $1,200-$1,300., which I could live with. Yet, the best price I can find is $1,4xx.

ecost.com will guarantee all costs of importing to Canada, ship from a Canadian location, and the total (including taxes), is $1,130.00 (compared to $1,400. + $200. sales tax... somewhere between $1,600. and $1,700. CAD).

Sure makes it tempting to pay two-thirds of what it will cost me to support my local dealer, and pay any repair or shipping costs (back to US for warranty service). Six hundred dollars is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe I just haven't found the Canadian dealer who is willing to make a few hundred dollars, instead of $800.00 (I figure their cost is below $1,000.).

Re: American Express: I don't know if My AmEx is blue (it's a corporate card). I doubt that they'll refund the difference to a price in a foreign country (which is what the US is here). I buy everything on it, because I believe they have a guarantee (replace anything damaged or stolen if purchased on AmEx)... Hmm... maybe that's the warranty answer. If AmEx guarantees anything I buy on the card, I can buy from the US and still have the warranty that is not honoured in Canada if purchased in US.

Any ideas from anybody?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Rexes will do an exact price match(including tax). Sears when they are hungry.
Limited selection at both places.:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like my local dealer. At least they know what the hell they are talking about most of the time. I can't listen to a speaker or receiver online. Regardless of how many reviews you read, they are all OPINIONS, not fact. If I can listen to it in person somewhere LOCAL, THEN order it off the web for a lot less, that's a different story...

Would you buy steak on the internet? I wouldn't.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
This is off topic (sort of) but it's funny you'd say that about steaks John, because I was just thinking about buying some online from Omaha Steaks :)
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks