What's new

Anybody buy a denon from a un-authorized dealer?? (1 Viewer)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at buying the Denon AVR2803. With a mrsp of $799 is is slightly higher then what I wanted to spend, however I could bite the bullet and do it.

The nearest authorized dealer is 4 hours from me so off to the internet and ebay I go. Low and behold, an ebay dealer is offering this machine at a substanally lower price - *new*. So I call the guy and he tells me that denon voids the warrenty 'cause he's not an authorized dealer (I later verified this practice by denon). So his price is without a warrenty. However, for $150 he will sell me a three year warrenty (total price is still lower then mrsp). If there is a warrenty problem, I simply ship the reciever off to any number of locations for repair.

Just wondering if this is some kind of scam? Has anybody else gone this route with a denon product (impressions). Any other thoughts or comments??

Thanks
dan

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my Denon 2802 about a year and half ago from www.soundpros.com for about $610 at the time, and I have never had any problems with this receiver. I know I should have bought from an authorized dealer, but I could not pass up this kind of deal. Warranties are okay, but the build quality of Denon is very good, so I know they build their receivers like tanks.

perrin

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Depends on what dealer. There are plenty of ligitimate online dealers than will sell you a product, but will also offer you a warranty because the manufacturer has strict rules about Authorized Dealers and warranties. There are some online sites that rate dealers based on customers giving them a certain rating. I would just go with a higher ranking online dealer based on those sites. Look around, you will find them. Always remember than sites that have rediculously low prices, are ones to really reasearch. Just stay away from CRAZY EDDIES!!

BTW, there is an authorized Denon dealer on eBay called Dakmart. He sells refurbished Denon products. However, he is Authorized by Denon, and his Denon products come with Denon's one year warranty. You can even check on Denon's site, they have them listed as Authorized dealers. I bought by Denon 2900 from them.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys folks. Just bought one off ebay with warrenty. Hoepfully I won't need to use it, my current a/v reciever, another Denon (Surround Sound) is still going strong after 10 years (thus my desire to finally upgrade to digital).

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Dan-0, how did you buy one off eBay with a warranty? I was only aware of one seller that is Denon authorized to sell on eBay, and they only sell Denon Factory refurbs. I dont see him listing a 2803. Did you buy from the guy that has a bunch listed right now? If that's the guy, you have no warranty. If they are not listed on Denon's SHORT e-tailer list on Denon.com they you will have no Denon warranty. Denon is very strict

FYI, there are MANY sellers on eBay that sell you a sealed box and claim factory warranty... sad thing is... its just not true.

Just looking out for you man.

Please look into it. I would hate to see you not get a warranty.

Check this link. This shows you the only Authorized Online and 1 Ebay resellers.

http://www.usa.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1

Clemens

Grip
Adam:if you are talking about Dakmart, they do have the 2803 at the moment
ww.dakmart.com/website/ItemDetail.asp?ItemId=26042&cID=111

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Adam and others,

Thanks for your concern! I misspoke on my above post. The reciever was puchased from Dakmart not from ebay. After your post the other day Adam, I went to dakmart and noticed they had the 'b' stock 2803 for $519, I bought it right away.

I did have numerous conversations with the fellas selling the new factory sealed ones on ebay though. They will sell you a warrenty that is not honored by Denon, it is not a factory warrenty. However, there are authorized repair centers that honor the warrenty (the nearest one by me would be four hours away). I felt ok by the whole thing, but having a factory warrenty was just more reassuring.

thanks again for the great info.
dan

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Adam:if you are talking about Dakmart, they do have the 2803 at the moment
Yeah, I know that they had it at their website, but Dan-O had said he got it off of eBay. That is why I got worried. But, since he ordered from the website, all is cool.

I hope you enjoy your reciever Dan-O

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 2802 from a non-authorized online dealer a couple of years ago for $530 with no warranty at all and it's still going strong. Good Guys wanted $799 at the time.

I have a lot of faith in Denon products so I figured it would work out all right. Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows? I don't think I would recommend anyone else do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks