What's new

Any WRC Fans? (1 Viewer)

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Curious if there are any WRC fans in the HTF? Season starts on the 22nd! Can't wait.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Oh hells yes. I watch my WRC on SPEED (ATT DIG CABLE).

I had a fun time rewatching last season's races when SPEED had the World Rally-thon over winter break.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ya WRC rule. The Canadian rally races, not sure what they are called, but they are really good to watch, just none of the mega millions for each team. That Rally-athon was great!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, there are a bunch of WRC fans over here... I did notice Speed was airing a whole bunch of the races from this season recently...

Any more shuffling of drivers though. We all heard before last season was over that McRae was going to Citroën next season and that Carlos Sainz was in limbo... Having him as a commentator was great...

Jay

JayV

Supporting Actor
Where can we see the Canadian rally series?

I have digital cable, but no SPEED. So I have to hijack friends' TVs to get my rally fix.

-j

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Yeah I love WRC. Those guys are amazing drivers. Wasn't it Nicky Grist who did a few commentaries after (ahem) parting ways with Colin McRae? It would be great to have him back again this year.

Unfortunately we won't have same day coverage this year. We'll get delayed coverage of all three days at once (2 hour slot I believe). Speed Channel claims that doing so will increase fan interest. I don't see how having less coverage the week after the event will do that, I think they are doing it to make room for yet more coverage of minor league oval racing (yawn).

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that. And I am not sure how that is going to benefit interest either. I sent a lengthy note to Speed Channel about that...as did a lot of other fans on my VW boards about this. We will see what comes of it. One thing I would like to see though...using WRC drivers/navigators as the commentators like they did with Grist...puts a nice twist into the race.

I am rooting for the Subaru team again this year. Would like Solberg to take it all and not to mention Tommi...who needs to really get his act together. Nothing but bad luck for him last year.

Colin, Carlos and Sebastian are going to be a real threat though in the Citroen's...

David-S

Second Unit
ARGH!!

I was almost able to pretend this wasn't coming, as I no longer have Speed in my new apartment. I love watching the races (only form of racing i can watch, other than touring car/GT races)...

Oh well, enjoy the action!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Whoops!! Yup it was Grist, sorry, I was thinking of his hilarious rendition of Moya (Sainz codriver) I was keeled over laughing at that...
BTW, I am catching parts of the Paris-Dakar rally going on now on Speed, that is pretty interesting to watch. I feel sorry for the guys on the motorcycles, that must be torture, even with the massive suspension...
:)
Jay

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
There's been no mention of it as far as I know. But it would be a nice change over good old Ralph Shaheen (sp?) and the other guy...(I can not remember his name). Someone with real rally experience puts a nice edge on watching. looks like Speed is going to air next week's race on the 30th.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
WRC is killer. I love F1, and watch it more, but those WRC drivers make everybody else look like a bunch of sissies. A few of my friends will never understand why I think NASCAR is lame. I tell them to see what real driving looks like. Watch WRC.

Marcus Gronholm is my man.

"I go off da road. Loose 1, maybe 2 seconds."

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
LOL! Marcus is cool. I like Petter though since he has a sense of humor. Unlike Richard Burns who cries for example.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I grew up watching F1 and it's still my favorite sport, but the WRC driver's skill is more "accessible" to the fan. The skill of these guys sliding the cars around inches from a rock wall on one side and sheer drop off on the other is obvious even to the non-fan. The F1 driver exiting Eau Rouge (not any more unfortunately :angry: ) at 190mph pulling 5gs requires, if anything, more skill, concentration and courage, but its not as obvious to the TV viewer. Also the WRC cars are somewhat related to actual road cars and they are driving on public roads so it easy to relate to what they are doing, and you can't help but be in awe of these guys!
Like the slogan said: "Real cars, real roads, real fast!"
I like Gr&#246nholm, he has that laid back Finnish sense of humor that reminds me of Häkkinen, I've been a fan of Giles Panizzi since he did that donut during the Rallye Catalunya last year, and I'm also a Solberg/Subaru fan.. after all I do drive a WRX (World Rally Blue naturally :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks