What's new

Any word or rumors on Ally McBeal (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Amazon UK lists Seasons 1-3 as available there with Season 4 & 5 coming, but I've not heard any rumors of such sets being released here. Probable holdup is music rights. Don't get your hopes up. So, if you're desperate for Ally McBeal, I'd suggest getting one of those multi-region players that can also play PAL discs.

James Reader

Screenwriter
My guess is, Fox, used to selling VHS tapes of TV in Europe etc cleared the music for international release as the series was made, but not for domestic use. After all, TV on VHS wasn't big in America, thanks to the syndication market.

Walk into any store in the UK selling VHS ten-five years ago, and half the product would be TV based. The market over here was much bigger (being as at the time we only had 5 tv channels).

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
Ally McBeal is available all over Europe, not just the UK. What's even better - Fox has recently released a repackaged version of the show which features full season sets as opposed to the half season sets we used to have. The price has gone down considerably as well - so it's a pretty good deal.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
What about the DVDs that ARE available in the US of Ally? They got the rights for those, correct?

Chad

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Since am region free I want ahead and just ordered the first 3 seasons from amazon.uk. After shipping and conversion the price came out to $27.46 per season which is pretty good for a 6 disc set. However now that I have done this it will probably be announced for US. Thats what happan after a brought home a few pretender sets when I visited France last summer.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just got the R2 set of season 1 (under $30 with shipping from Amazon.co.uk). What a great set!! Especially for that price. Booklet on the show, another on all Fox TV DVDs. It is in a plastic case (the size of the MASH sets) with each DVD on its own little page (have never seen this design before, but it is pretty nice).

Only casually watched the show when it aired so I'll see how I like it now, and if I get future seasons.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

These were rereleased in what is referred to as M Lock packaging. Fox have been using it for cheap price reissues of most of their TV DVD releases. They are much more practical (smaller) than digipaks or standard cases in a box. Very good value at around GBP15 (USD30) a season for all apart from the XFiles which is around GBP25 (USD50) a season. These are online prices, retail is higher.

Other cheap Fox titles released in this format in the UK are X Files, Millennium, Firefly, Harsh Realm. The only ones they are not using it for are Buffy and Angel.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I hope Ally McBeal never comes out because that was not a favorite show in my book and that show couldn't been on at all...sorry for people who like this show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the thread-fart, Antonio! :) Really, welcome to the Home Theater Forum, and enjoy your stay here. But we try not to disrespect one another's favorites here by wishing things like that. Don't start flame wars that way, okay?

I'm not part of the HTF staff or anything, but as a long-term member here I just wanted to try to help you fit in a bit better.

I, for one, am enjoying my UK imports...immensely!

John McM

Second Unit

well, if you don't like it... DON'T BUY IT!!!

I for one, consider Full House to be probably the stupidest most banal sitcom to ever grace the airwaves, but I do realize that while I'd never go 100 feet near the DVD, there are plenty of people who love it. Same needs to apply for you and Ally McBeal

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I am enjoying my uk imports that came today just finished a disc with the firt few episodes.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
Question for UK R2 purchasers - I've heard that the easier music clearance issue for this release has resulted in not just some but all music being intact from the broadcast versions. Is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks