What's new

Any word or reviews on EA's NHL 2005? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just bought ESPN NHL 2K5 and from the small amount of time I have spent playing it, have been pretty unimpressive. Then again, maybe I am being unfair judging it so quick. But I was also not impressed with last years offering by ESPN either. I felt that EA's NHL 2004 was the BEST hockey game ever made. I love it and am still playing it. The only complaint I have about it now is that it is way too easy.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a confirmed release date of this title? And if there are any reviews on it? If they just improve on last years version, it should be a very good game.
I read somewhere that there is not going to be a create a player option for 2005? I hope I was reading that wrong because that would be a HUGE mistake. Have you guys heard anything about that?

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI, there is no widescreen mode on the X-Box but there is on the PS2. Read that in an impressions thread somewhere.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I also heard that there is no create a player mode for NHL 2005. Is this true? If it is, then no sale for me.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, it might not have a widescreen option on the Xbox because it just reads that info from the Dashboard.

After picking up ESPN NHL for $20, I really have little interest in the title.

EA got me for Madden, but Hockey and NBA are a whole other story (although NBA Live looks really good and I hate ESPN NBA). EA should have considered dropping their prices to match.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yeah, I am almost thinking the same way. I don't know how much better it can get than ESPN's NHL 2K5. I love how challenging it is. With the correct sliders this is the most realistic hockey game I have ever played. I just wish they would have done better in the graphics department.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

there is NO widescreen whatsoever in the game for the X-Box. In an interview at another forum one of the developers stated that they did not have time to implement it on the X-Box.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Hmm, you guys have lost me here...Which hockey game has widescreen mode on the PS2, ESPN or EA?

I rented both and couldn't find that option anywhere, but maybe I just missed it?

Please tell me it's ESPN, cause that's the one I'd prefer to buy this year (bought and still love EA's 2004, though).

My short review: I felt EPSN is just more realistic this year...EA's is a hit-fest, you can barely skate down the ice without half your team getting flattened, and this is with hitting/aggression sliders turned way down!!

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
ESPN should have widescreen play on the PS2. It does on the XBOX. And I have not even thought twice about picking up EA's version this year. ESPN has retaken the top spot for NHL games this year. It is BY FAR the most realistic hockey game I have ever played. I have been in franchise mode for about 2 weeks now and I have found no money goals or special moves that score you goals. I love this game. The scores are usually 3-2,2-1 a few 4-1 with empty net goals 2-2, 1-1, I have not scored more than 4 goals in any game yet.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
I love the way ESPN handles on-the-fly line changes when you've locked your guy to a position, which is how I usually play. It's so simple, but EA makes it so hard...

Line changes, the Skills Challenge, and the sweet frame rate were enough to convince me to pick up ESPN this year. Plus the fact that they made a 'Canadian' version.

Maybe next year they'll go the extra mile and make the "Hockey Night in Canada" version. :D

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Ha ha, that's right, the game will need a 7 second delay...;)

Well, I picked up my EPSN for Ps2 Friday night...no widescreen support (unless it's really hidden somewhere). Maybe next year.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying this game. I find I'm having to 'unlearn' my previous video hockey techniques to adapt to the more realistic play. :emoji_thumbsup:

Off topic, wasn't there a website somewhere of video games that support widescreen? It also kept track of audio formats and other features...I used to check it all the time, but I've since lost the link when I reinstalled windows.

Users who are viewing this thread