Any word on whether EAD will upgrade us users to DPL II?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Ihave a solid processor to mate with my Linn speakers and I think finally I have reach the "diminishing returns arena" of sorts in that I dont feel the upgrade bug biting as much as it did when I had Def Techs and HK. Happy as I am, I still feel that I am behind the times on surround options especially for Dig cable/DBS viewing. With all the hype about PL2, I am interested to join the lucky listeners but I am wondering if EAD will upgrade existing prepros to EX/ES/PL2 to stay current and competetive. Has anyone upgraded their EAD preamp with PL2 abilities if able? I dont want to have to sell this preamp, but if there is something I can get that can beat it on sound and features for under $1200, I'll think of selling it. I dont like dated pieces too much, I feel like I am missing out. [​IMG]

thanks!

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

keir...i have an ead encore too and to the best of knowledge, ead does not offer any type of dpl2 upgrade. you might wanna contact brook jenkins directly at 541.488.5243 and he could probably tell you if there are any plans. i'm contemplating selling my encore too which is a shame because it's such a beautiful looking and sounding unit. however, i'm going a different route than you. i'm seriously considering the mccormack map-1 which is a completely analog pre so all the dd and dts decoding will have to be done via my perspective universal player (mccormack udp-1 or denon dvd-2900?). my main concern is two channel integrity and home theater second. let us all know what mr. jenkins tells you if you do decide to contact him.

kevin t

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks Kevin, never heard of the MAP-1 but it sounds nice. I am interested in staying with something that still gives me stellar music performance like the Encore but with the new sound formats as well. I'm kinda stuck because like you, I think this is a great looking preamp and has a very nice design inside and out and would hate to give it up. Hmm...hoping for more ideas on user that have had this preamp and decided to move to something else and the results of that move...?? ANyone?

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

keir....you can upgrade to the ovation-8 and gain the use of dd-ex and dts-es from my understanding. it seems to imply that these formats are compatible. check here. again though, to the best of knowledge, ead doesn't offer a dpl2 upgrade. the ovation-8 upgrade from the encore is $1800 with the new vfd display. i can email you the upgrade price list if you're interested.

kevin t

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks again Kevin for helping out. It seems that there are not many EAD users out there anymore as there are Rotel, Outlaw, Theta and some others. $1800 seems a bit steep just to get the unit current with a new display and ex-es additions with no DPL2. I wonder if its that much of a difference in sound to be worth nearly the price of a newer full featured processor?? Have you heard the Ovation? Thanks again! email me the price list when you get a chance please..

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

keir...sorry, haven't heard the ovation to say one way or the other. i agree that $1800 is a tad steep as well. i can trade my ead to tsto.com for $1000 toward the $2199 mccormack map-1 ($1299 shipped cash outlay). that's a $500 savings which i can invest elsewhere into my system. i know that on the ovation and higher, the front channels use balanced inputs with one dac for the positive lead and one dac for the negative lead so it should be a significant step up from the encore in my opinion. don't know how to send files via htf mail system so just right click the link below. it's a word document.

http://www.intergate.com/~god/misc/ead.doc

kevin t