What's new

Any word on when The Name Of The Game is being released on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Flowered

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip
Although Shout are continually said to have been hoping to release the series on DVD, has anyone asked why they haven't been able to do so? As for questions concerning picture quality, the series was made almost back-to-back with Columbo (even the credit fonts are similar), so I can't believe that there is any problem there.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The answer can be found earlier in this thread. The source elements weren't good enough for a release because only half the episodes had received a later remastering. The time it was made is not relevant if the show wasn't as widely syndicated and in demand as "Columbo" which has constantly been in syndication since its original run and received a full remastering in the early 90s.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Why is it so hard for people to understand these things. The show has never been fully remastered to any tape format and the 44 or so episodes which were have music replacement. In order for the show to be released, Universal or whoever would have to fork over several hundred thousand dollars for transfers. Ain't happening.

MarcS1

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
Why is it so hard for people to understand these things. The show has never been fully remastered to any tape format and the 44 or so episodes which were have music replacement. In order for the show to be released, Universal or whoever would have to fork over several hundred thousand dollars for transfers. Ain't happening.
Almost all the "lost" episodes aired recently on TCM Latin America; the picture was just as good if not better than what was aired on Encore so somebody had them remastered at some point. What was aired was dubbed however. Maybe Shout Factory didn't know where to look.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Almost all the "lost" episodes aired recently on TCM Latin America; the picture was just as good if not better than what was aired on Encore so somebody had them remastered at some point. What was aired was dubbed however. Maybe Shout Factory didn't know where to look.

Well, just because they were transferred for a foreign market doesn't mean that there is a corresponding set of English language episodes.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
It’s a shame about this show. Be only seen a little bit of it but was really curious to see it. Looked really polished.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Doubtful that the market would justify the costs for either music clearances or replacement. Best hope IMO would be if Universal does something to put their shows up for streaming.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Watched the first episode 'Fear of High Places' last night (YouTube) and must say it is very well told; the images were the usual soft YT version but very watchable. First thing that hit me was how long the opening credits were -- either they were padding to stretch it to 90 minutes or the final cut fell short of the time slot and they forced a slow roll of names -- with some poor TV elevator jazz muzak as accompaniment. Also, the Reggie Nalder-like appearance of a typecasted baddie - uncredited too - was an added bonus! I'd definitely buy a set of this show, whether it's the 'best-of' or 'warning for some poor transfer issues' ...

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I watched that episode. I’d never seen the show before. I really liked it but yeah those credits were amazingly long! Kind of mesmerized me for a bit and then I thought “man were still in the opening credits?”

I’d definitely buy this though.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
I've only seen the show in reruns, but it is THE 60s series I'm most anxious to view more completely.

So sad that it doesn't look like it's going to happen. :(

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
...same thing with billion dollar author and screen factory favorite Stephen King, who's gone on about how much he loved the mythic episode I Kiss Your Shadow, from the astoundingly good 20th Century Fox 1961-62 series Bus Stop...
I'd love a release of the series. UCLA has most or all the "Bus Stop" episodes, so if any company is able and willing to release it, at least there's a source. Posting library search links don't always work, but this might for the moment.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'd love a release of the series. UCLA has most or all the "Bus Stop" episodes, so if any company is able and willing to release it, at least there's a source. Posting library search links don't always work, but this might for the moment.

Years ago I almost had Shout interested in putting out Bus Stop, a fantastic series. I've seen them all through various means as LOC also has a full run of the series. They were interested but then the head of Timeless, who was still consulting with them at the time, told them it wouldn't sell and that was that. Unfortunate as a complete set of Bus Stop is at the top of my want list. I would say out of the 26 shows, probably at least 20 of them are great.

MarcS1

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I've only seen the show in reruns, but it is THE 60s series I'm most anxious to view more completely.

So sad that it doesn't look like it's going to happen. :(
Nope; it was such a tease pre-ordering it back in 2014. TCM Latin America recently re-aired close to the whole series in great quality and I suggested to Shout they could match the visuals to the audio they already had; they said they'd look into it but I haven't heard back since. I've also followed up with Cozi and Peacock to see if they would stream or re-air it to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks