What's new

Any word on US release of Michael Bay's 'The Island' on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Any word on a US release of Michael Bay's 'The Island' on Blu? (Is Scarlett Johansson not cute enough? Michael Bay not commercial enough?)

It has been out in the UK on BluRay since 2008, albeit on a 25GB disc instead of 50GB.

I'm tempted to import the UK edition, unless there's a higher quality US release coming.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No US release, I do have the UK edition which is fantastic.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Agreed...the PQ is pretty good, although given the disc is a few years old it doesnt compare to modern titles and other Bay films like Transformers 1 and 2..still, it looks much better than the SD counterpart. Audio is only a DD 5.1 option, but it sounds great, especially during the shootout / freeway chase.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The only thing redeeming about this movie is the casting of the guy who played Pete on Benson, here in a bit role. I'd rather have the 1980 Michael Caine film on DVD but only in a definitive edition

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I thought the casting all around makes this film. Scarlett as a naive innocent, Ewan as a harmless guy, Buchemi with a conscience, even the guy from True Blood and Star Trek Voyager was nice... the only failure of the film IMO was the showdown, which was rather silly. As a big budget remake of that b-movie, and with shades of Logan's Run, it was perfect matinee style science fiction for me. Same level as, say, Total Recall, or the Sixth Day, or THX1138, or other not-quite-trying-to-be-a-blockbuster scifi films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.