Any word on these Polanski films?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Frederic_A, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Man, I hope I'm not getting on anybody's nerves here, [​IMG] but I would really appreciate some info on yet another set of films that I'm anxious to see released: Roman Polanski's
    Dance of the Vampires / Fearless Vampire Killers
    and
    Frantic (anamorphic)
    The latter is only available in letterbox so far, AFAIK. Not many seem to like it, but I really dig the atmosphere, and of course it has Ford in it. Vampires I don't think anyone would contradict me if I called it a classic. Since the initial American release was notoriously mal-edited, there's obviously some restoration work to be done (I'd like to see the European version). Is a special edition anywhere near the horizon? Is anybody planning a Polanski boxed set?
    Once again, any info would be highly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Believe me, as soon as any new information becomes available on Fearless Vampire Killers it will be posted...quite a few rabid fans of this film roaming around HTF (myself, of course, included!) [​IMG]

3. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Maybe I'm mistaken since I haven't watched it in quite some time, but isn't the PAL release of FRANTIC anamorphic? I can't locate my disc quickly to confirm, but DVDCompare states that it is. I purchased it from Bensonsworld in Britain. Not a great transfer but it's far superior to the the fullscreen US release which I found unwatchable.

4. Frederic_A

Jon, sounds like I'm in good company here. [​IMG] Jay, you may be right, actually - it says so on the French Amazon page! I can hardly find any Region 2 reviews, though. One states that the transfer is grainy, another that the sound is bad. Would you say it's still worth a purchase?

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'd like to see Cul-De-Sac and a halfway decent version of Repulsion in R1 (since Criterion did the laserdisc, do they hold any rights to the DVD?). I don't think Cul-De-Sac has ever been issued legitimately on home video in the U.S.

6. John Blankenship

I would also love to see Polanski's Cul-de-sac, as I've been looking for it for about 20 years. I've never seen it in any format. But for me, Polanski's best film (along with Repulsion) is Tess. That's another one I am anxiously awaiting on DVD.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Count me in as wanting Repulsion and The Fearless Vampire Killers.
    Jon Sheedy, nice sig! It's nice to know someone else wants The Reflecting Skin! [​IMG]

8. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steve....I'm hoping that The Reflecting Skin will have a greater chance for a DVD release thanks to the phenomena that is the Lord Of The Rings film trilogy. A DVD staring Viggio might have a better chance at release now. It's such a twisted & creepy little flick...beautifully photographed to boot! It was one of the last titles of my laserdisc collection that I parted with...and I've been regreting it ever since!

Frederic...just in case you aren't aware. Make sure and sign the petition that Jussi has running for TFVK. The related thread topic just popped up again earlier this morning. Contains the link for the actual petition. Shouldn't be too far down the line in this forum.

Jon

9. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Another one for Repulsion. I would also like to assume that since Criterion does have the rights to the LD that they would also hold rights to the DVD but I may be mistaken.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

11. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Frederic

The PAL FRANTIC is grainy, but still quite watchable as I recall. Certainly a lot of room for improvement, but I would recommend purchase since I'd be surprised to see a new release any time soon. I really don't remember the sound as being bad, just so-so. I wish I could find my disc to say more, but right now my DVD collection isn't alphabetized and has been flung all over the place while I'm in the process of reorganizing things.

12. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

Cul-De-Sac and Tess on region 1 DVD would be very nice.

I am actually quite happy with the laserdisc of Repulsion, Bitter Moon, and Death and the Maiden, and can hold on for a while on those until a (hopefully) much better DVD arrives.

13. Nuno_Jason

Nuno_Jason Auditioning

Dance of the Vampires is my most anticipated DVD of all time. It should be loaded with extras including the cartoon made for it, as well as both cuts of the film. THis movie is such a wonderful, unique masterpiece! I've never seen these other movies you speak of, but I think they are up my alley.

14. Frederic_A

Thanks anyway, Jay! I don't really mind grain in this case - it would probably fit the look of the movie. If the sound is ok and it's anamorphic, I'd say this one goes on my list!

Jon, I just noticed the petition earlier - you will definitely find my name on it. Of course, I'm explicitely hoping for the non-American cut of the film, which technically isn't Fearless Vampire Killers, but Dance of the Vampires (the former title having been used only in the US).

15. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one. I just got the following e-mail response from Jon Mulvaney at Criterion:

16. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Earler in the thread someone mentioned Frantic as being anamorphic. Is this in R1? The R1 I have is MAR. (The only MAR disc I own BTW).

17. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Frantic is only anamorphic in Region 2 (and perhaps 3 and 4). I got mine from the UK - it doesn't look all that great but the framing is correct hence much nicer than the full-frame.

18. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Thanks Aurthur. Im not multi-region so I guess Ill be waiting for a rerelease. [​IMG] Frantic is a great movie.