What's new

Any word on 'The Proposition', so far as PQ/AQ? (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Anybody seen a review of this disc? It's due out tomorrow, and Amazon still doesn't even have cover art.

I'm curious to hear what this "cost cutter" version of BD will look like. From the lack of info, I get the impression that they either have nothing to whistle about, or they're very poor at promoting their product.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Maybe "poor" in the sense of not having a lot of money. First Look is a small operation, and their marketing budgets are usually tiny. They rely a lot on word of mouth. The flip side is that they don't have to jack up the price of their discs to recover all those marketing dollars.

I have the disc on order, because I admired the film and the price makes it a low-risk gamble. It's the kind of film that really needs hi-def detail to come anywhere close to looking right; so I'll be interested to see how they did.

M.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all.

Walter, I was unaware of that database. Thank you.

From the little I've had time to read, it does appear that First Look has something to whistle about.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome, David.

My first exposure to The Proposition was the SD DVD release and I am eagerly looking forward to tomorrow's release. Not having seen it theatrically I am hoping that the impact of the film's cinematography will be enhanced by the Blu-ray presentation.

- Walter.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
David, I could understand your caution about buying from a distributor you don't know, with seemingly so many transfers marred with processing right now. I have the UK Tartan 2 disc SD set, which outclassed the US disc.

It appears that First Look's new blu mirrors the Tartan special features, and offers a great transfer to boot. This was up for pre-order at Family Video for about $10.40 shipping included, and was a no-brainer for me.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Proposition Blu-Ray from the UK looks very nice IMO and most will be very pleased with the picture if the same release gets out in the US.

My pet peeves with movies shot on film usually are missing grain/DNR and EE and I was not bothered by one or the other when I watched that movie,something that has been different a few times as of late.

The movie has an eerie quality to it and the Cinematography is certainly making good use of the increased resolution of the Blu-Ray format

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As my wife and I walked out of the theater after seeing The Proposition, she said, "It makes the town of Deadwood look clean and tidy!" :laugh:

I really hope First Look establishes and holds to a high level of quality, because they have Paris, Je T'Aime coming to Blu-ray in a few months, and that one will be a challenge.

M.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Picked it up on Blu today at BB for $14.99, great price on a fantastic film.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
It's fairly soft, not much detail up close. Looks 'clean'. Not sure if it's DNR.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I thought some of the DVDBeaver caps looked a little clean as well. It may have been processed a bit during the digital intermediate stage, which isn't exactly an uncommon practice. Would be nice to know if the UK disc from Tartan was any different/better, though it's a lot more expensive.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Got mine from Family Video last night. Took a look, and my impressions were that it looked great - I didn't find it soft and no signs of EE. I compared it with the UK Tartan DVD and it blew it out of the water.

Interview extras seem to be about 70 minutes compared with the 2-disc DVD from Tartan coming in at about 90.

Trailer is different on each release - US on First Look, UK on Tartan.

Making of same on both, US also offers Deleted Scenes.

With a retail of $20, First Look are offering a fantastic package, with an image that puts many of the processed transfers we've been seeing lately to shame.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

The Tartan has a lot of shots where there isn't really that much grain visible if any and I think something has probably been done there, then you have other scenes where it can be seen very clearly and one particular scene that looked completely fake - you might know which one I am speaking of when you see it. What I did not notice throughout the movie were scenes where closeups looked like they were robbed of detail by DNR/grain reduction as that is something that takes me out of the movie very quickly, also annoying EE was thankfully absent.

So while I think that surely some digital processing was done to the Proposition it is thankfully much less than with for example Dark City that was deemed by a lot of people to be very acceptable while I was distracted by artefacts for almost the whole length of the movie, much to my dismay.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've only had a chance to watch selected scenes, and my schedule is such that it may be a while before I can watch the film from start to finish. But it's obvious to me that this is no disc where anyone should be complaining about excessive DNR. Fine detail hasn't been scrubbed away, and the easiest way to check this is to watch a scene with John Hurt, whose aged and weather-beaten bounty hunter is one of the most memorable characters in the film. He's as animated and craggy as I remember him from the cinema.

The scenes I sampled did strike me as somewhat "cleaner" than the film image I remember, but that could be the familiar effect (especially with recent films) of home video versions being taken from a source closer to the o-neg (or DI) than the prints we get in theaters. I'll have to watch the whole film to get a better sense.

M.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I recently had the chance to look at a print of a movie that is generally regarded as a fine example of preserving grain structure on Blu-Ray and I have to say that the film print had significantly more grain than the Blu-Ray. So my guess is that grain structure is somewhat reduced in almost every film based movie we get on Blu-Ray, it is just not always as offending as with certain titles that make it very obvious.

While I would mostly prefer no grain reduction at all I do think that relative to other releases the grain reduction on The Proposition has not been overdone to the point where it looks unnaturally clean and significant detail has been retained.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
And as mentioned, I believe The Proposition was completed on a DI, and it's likely here any processing took place. Assuming there was no further major manipulation after that, then the Blu-ray would have to be considered very good, as in being faithful to the source, despite the film having been grain-reduced at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks