What's new

Any word on The Munsters season 2? (1 Viewer)

marcus_h

Agent
Well, I hope Universal is paying attention to this thread because I too think the packaging is awful and I am damn tired of DVD18 discs. I guess I'll put the discs for season two in paper sleeves and just leave them in the season 1 box set...

I was also unhappy with Buck Rogers and Battlestar discs being dvd18s as well.

I bought two sets of BSG the original series because one disc was bad, bought the set a second time, and the same disc was damaged. So, I send the second disc back at MY expense to get it replaced. They have the audacity to put a sticker on the front saying it was inspected, and instructions on the back of the jewel case telling me how to handle and care for my dvds. Guess what...the same bloody freaking disc was scratched!!! I finally just gave up on it.

Hey universal, you don't get any more of my cash for tv sets until you fix these issues...

Marc

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I think the best answer to this packaging mess is to buy two sets - One to never open for collecting purposes and another to watch and put into your own case.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Doug, I can only hope you are not serious. There's no way I'm rewarding Universal with twice their profit for this mess.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Reading this thread it IS difficult to believe that Universal would allow this design to go ahead - something as simple as their own Back To The Future packaging at the very least - which would have been alot more user friendly. Even the first season was good. Still, I'm probably going to find a simple 3 disc amaray case and store the original - perhaps I'll even have it photocopied so that there will be something for cover art.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Those images are actually photo renditions of the actual final packaging. The "smiling" Herman's head inner cardboard fits inside of a clear plastic outer-sleeve. The plastic sleeve has been silk-screened with an image of "smirking" Herman's head on the front, disc info on the back and the title spines green. It's open at the top and bottom.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I decided to wait until I bought the new set for myself before I made any comments. Were people exaggerating or not, I wondered?

Well, I bought it this morning and no - people were not exaggerating. It was a real frightmare trying to release the very compacted Herman's Head from inside the outer sleeve. I found it worked a little easier if I pushed down on it from the top, and slid it out through the bottom.

Even worse was trying to place it back in its casing. The ironic thing is, when replacing it I discovered that it was easier to take the opposite approach: slide it in from the bottom, upward. You need the patience of a saint(something I lack) but it can be accomplished!

I will say one thing, though - once the inside is revealed, I like the change from "smirking" Herman to "smiling" Herman. At least once the whole thing is together it can sit nicely alongside Season One on your shelf like any other box, so that's a relief (I originally thought the thing was going to be shaped like Herman's head). This would actually have been kinda neat if it wasn't so tight.

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with all the above comments. The packaging looks cool but is extremely flimsy and could easily be damaged and the discs can easily be scratched. I would suggest transferring them to safer packaging right away. On the upside, the episodes look beautiful. They are extremely sharp, bright and well-saturated. The extras are very good. Three full hours: 1 45 minute current documentary on the show with all the living actors, 3 45 minute bios on Fred, Yvonne, and Al. 8 episodes on each of the four sides. Let's pray LEAVE IT TO BEAVER has stronger packaging!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have an interesting question...

As far as the bonus materials go (and I
am not even near to getting to it yet)....

Remember, oh, about a year or more ago
IMAGE was to release a Munsters DVD with
all sorts of interviews and some sort of
rare pilot?

And remember the DVD got cancelled at the
twelfth hour due to licensing problems?

Did all the material that was to be released
on THAT DVD make it to the Munsters
Seasons sets 1&2?

(By the way, review copies of that defunct DVD
did make it into the hands of a few review sites.
I wish one of them was ours).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm planning to spin this tonight... thanks for the great feedback in this thread.

- Steve

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The episodes really do look excellent. I love the production design on this show, and the dvds really show it off beautifully.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I focused on the documentaries on disc 3, which are slightly trimmed episodes (by 5-6 minutes each) of A&E Biography/TV-ography. There was some overlap in the subject matter (obviously) and some interview snippets were the same.

Now before anyone gets upset about the docs being edited, I have not seen Biography in a long while, but it would seem that we have lost the A&E introductions, the Biography title sequence, introductions by Peter Graves and Harry Smith... in other words, nothing substantive. Plus, the 50 minute running times listed at the A&E site may not be accurate.

The Fred Gwynne doc was especially interesting. If any of you have ever followed "Inside the Actor's Studio," you know that the most common theme of their entire series of 100+ actor/actress/director interviews is that of parental separation and loss. Gwynne is no exception. He also had quite a bit of personal tragedy in his lifetime. And he was an author and illustrator of children's books. A lot of people will remember him only as Herman Munster, but he was a lot more.

Bottom line... this is really good stuff.

- Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Turns out, nor were Yvonne DeCarlo and Al Lewis.

- Steve

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I love The Munsters, but am very reluctant to buy Season 2 because I have a coordination deficit with my hands and am afraid that I won't be able to get the disks out to play them! Is there an e-mail or snail-mail address for Universal? People with cordination problems should contact Universal They should look at making a different box design for uncordinated people like myself. If I buy the set, where can I buy DVD cases to store the disks? As a sidenote, I hope that the Leave it to Beaver Lunchbox Limited Edition for Season 1 doesn't have the same problems. I will be getting LITB, regular packaging.

Jack

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Jack- I've a temporary solution. Have someone else remove the discs and temporarily store them in empty DVD cases or jewel cases. Until a longtime solution can be reached, this the best I can do for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks