What's new

Any word on " The Creature Walks among us" or " Revenge of the Creature"? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I was quite disappointed that these two Creature sequels were NOT included in tomorrow's huge batch of Universal Monsters double feature discs.... instead, we get all four Mummy sequels. I'm sure they're just cashing in on the current Mummy craze because of the remakes, but sheesh!
I'm sure REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG us will come out eventually... but I for one want 'em NOW.
------------------
My collection:
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm sure we'll get them next time. I want those and the four Invisible Man sequels. Hopefully, they'll do them in the same double feature style.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Let's not forget House of Dracula!
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

GregK

Screenwriter
If they do "Revenge of the Creature", I would hope THIS
TIME Universal also include the original 3-D version.
(The first two of the Creature trilogy were shot in true
stereoscopic 3-D) Universal really missed the boat by
not including the 3-D version along with the flat 2D
version for the 'collector's edition' of CFBL. DVD has
more than enough room to include both.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know. I asked that question here a while back and never got an answer. I sure hope we don't have to wait until next August for the next round.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I was really waiting for "The Black Cat" and "The Raven". They are probably my 2 favorite original Universal horror titles after "Son of Frankenstein"
I hope I don't have to wait another year, but it definitely looks that way if they stick with their current release schedule.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Greg, I couldn't agree more. We need 3-D versions of the initial two Creature flicks on DVD. Field sequential, of course, no red/blue anaglyph downconversions!

HOUSE OF DRACULA is a must also!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Hey, For us Creature fans you can contact the Creature From The Black Lagoon, Mr. Ben Chapman at his website. http://www.the-reelgillman.com/
I met Mr. Chapman last year at a poster convention in the Chicago area. He was a very friendly man and I chatted with him for probably 20 minutes or so. He's also very deliberate in stating that he only played the creature above water and refuses to sign any pictures of the creature underwater.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I just bought Revenge of the Creature last night... on VHS :b.
Heresy, I know, but I was at K-Mart last night picking up Star Trek II (on DVD), and ran across Revenge for $3.99 and thought, "ahhh, what the hell."
Can you do 3-D on DVD well?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Quality 3-D on DVD is possible using field sequential format. This requires LCD glasses and a 3-D driver box like those sold with the Ultimate IMAX and Ultimate horror DVD sets. Full color stereoscopic 3-D.

The red/blue ananglyph format could be used, but the results are usually poor. Both of the 3-D Creature movies have been downconverted to this inferior format for re-issues and TV broadcasts before. These versions looked nothing like the original polariod 3-D release prints. Field sequential allows the closest approximation of the original theatrical experience. If you've seen a IMAX 3-D movie, it is the same concept scaled down for the home. The glasses are much lighter! Lots of 3-D movies have been released in Japan on the old VHD videodisc format, and on VHS in the states. These days mostly low budget direct to video stuff and IMAX type novelty movies are what are widely available. The studio could easily offer 3-D versions on their DVDs along with a flat version for those who don't have the glasses.

Stay away from flat movies that are being advertised as being converted to 3-D though! SOme companies are selling NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET, RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON and other flat movies on DVDs that have a flat version on one side, and what they claim to be a 3-D version on the other. This is bunk; they can't make flat movies look 3-D even by putting them through a field sequential treatment. Beware!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I have seen a 3-D Imax movie. They use glasses that alternate blocking out the view in each eye and presenting corresponding alternate frames on screen. Or something like this, right?

GregK

Screenwriter
I have seen a 3-D Imax movie. They use glasses that alternate blocking out the view in each eye and presenting corresponding alternate frames on screen. Or something like this, right?
Yes, that is correct. When the left image is shown, the right eye goes dark. Then the left eye goes dark and the right eye is allowed to see the right image on the screen. The electronic LCS 3-D glasses are in perfect sync with the left then right images being shown on the screen. The IMAX alternating left/right images switch at a very high speed, I think around 96 times a second, so "flicker" isn't a problem. Of course those not wearing LCS "shutter" glasses see both left and right images together, which normally looks like a blurry mess due to their slightly different perspectives.

But with NTSC video, the field rate is fixed at 60 fields per second (50 fields for PAL), so some flicker is evident on basic field-sequential video systems. But slight flicker aside, the 3-D is simply awesome, with great left / right eye cancellation, color, and clarity, unlike the anaglyph "red/blue" 3-D video formats.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Getting back to the movies, when they released all 3 on laser, they were beautiful prints. Surely not restored, but from a pretty good source.
When they released "Creature" on DVD, it probably wasn't restored, just the same print as the laser, but 10 years older.
That's why I kept my "Creature" and the double feature of the other 2 on laser and never bought the DVD.
The laser of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" was a good print, but when they re-released it in the laser box set titled "Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters", the print was much better.
I couldn't wait for the DVD of A&CMF, a big disappointment, only as good as the original laser, if that!
So in conclusion, Universal is giving us what we want, the movie, no matter what condition it's in! :frowning:

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I don't know about the laser, but the picture on my CftBL DVD is quite nice. Very nice as a matter of fact. One might even go so far as to say, "exquisite!" (Hey, I just did!)
Plus, it's got a great Tom Weaver commentary track, the best documentary of any of the Universal monster DVDs, and a great photo section as well.
IMO, besides possibly Frankenstein, the best Universal classic monster DVD yet!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Jim Peavy
I did compare, just a notch up difference in clearity...as some lasers are from their DVD counterparts...but not worth the extra $$$...even for a commentary. IMO :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks