What's new

Any word on The Abyss? (2 Viewers)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
2014 would be the 25th anniversary, which would be the perfect time to release it. If we don't get THE ABYSS next year, I'll say "Nah nah, hey hey, kiss it goodbye."Varese CD Club is releasing a new two-disc remastered CD of the score, so hopefully that suggests some "movement" regarding this title.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
anyone want to make a prediction on what month it will be released? I remember the dvd of the abyss coming out in march of 2000. the theatre release month for the theatre version was in august. I am hoping its either one of those months. the soundtrack is out next month.

Jacob

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree with Malcolm on this.

I think you'll see anniversary blus of The Abyss and True Lies, and I'd guess that it will probably be in the fourth quarter - to set them up as potential Xmas presents...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Kevin EK said:
I think you'll see anniversary blus of The Abyss and True Lies, and I'd guess that it will probably be in the fourth quarter - to set them up as potential Xmas presents...

4th quarter? I was hoping it was more like March or April, or even around Summer, instead of literally almost a year from now. But you're probably right. I mean, there's still nothing to suggest that these 2 films are coming out any time soon. Sigh.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Kevin EK said:
I agree with Malcolm on this.

MGM/fox released the remastered terminator 1 early january of this year. who knows about the abyss and true lies. Anything is possible.

Jacob

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If they were going to do big anniversary releases of The Abyss and True Lies for March, we'd already have heard about it.
My instincts say that they won't be putting those out for spring.
Maybe summer - that could happen if they have everything ready.
I'm leaning toward 4th quarter because it allows them to set up the release in advance and perhaps prepare some good bonus features. Cameron tends to be pretty good about this stuff, and he knows people have been waiting for these movies for a while.

Perhaps late September, thus setting them up for 4th quarter sales.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Kevin EK said:
If they were going to do big anniversary releases of The Abyss and True Lies for March, we'd already have heard about it.
My instincts say that they won't be putting those out for spring.
Maybe summer - that could happen if they have everything ready.
I'm leaning toward 4th quarter because it allows them to set up the release in advance and perhaps prepare some good bonus features. Cameron tends to be pretty good about this stuff, and he knows people have been waiting for these movies for a while.

Perhaps late September, thus setting them up for 4th quarter sales.
its still early for march releases. I remember that there was a press release only a month away from release on the blu ray release of avatar. its possible we might hear something in February.
I believe that true lies was released in July of 1994? the abyss was released in august of 1989. could be summer. its a good chance that they might release both at the same time.

Jacob

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If The Abyss and True Lies come out in the summer, it'll be because of dumb luck and not because the studio cares about hitting the month of the theatrical release.

If I had to bet, I'd go with Kevin's guess of September. Or maybe even early October.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I believe Cameron has been busy and all that. Perhaps I've missed something, but I'm not even totally convinced that the Cameron was involved with the "remastered" The Terminator.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The Digital Bits included a little blurb in their update yesterday where they mention that Cinemax has begun showing "the remastered theatrical cut" of The Abyss in HD.

Seems things are still on track for a release to Blu later this year for both The Abyss and True Lies.

Fingers crossed!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Is this going to happen and will there b a fresh print transfer that will eliminate some of the colour issues that is plagued with the laserdisc and dvd release in certain parts of the film. that is a bit distracting. Only seen a once on tv channel 4, many years ago theatrical that had the colour grittiness that mirrored the cinema release.

I hope its a release that gives the film fan two choices of theatrical and extended edition. I personally prefer the theatrical release.

Hope it has the documentary included with all the rest of the extras and brand new extras and would be nice if cast and crew can get together for audio commentary session.

An isolated score Dolby 5.1 would be nice.

So is it going to happen this year? I still enjoy the laserdisc or the DVD now and then.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
This year is the film's 25th anniversary, so we should be seeing it on Blu this year. However, it hasn't been officially announced yet.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
andySu said:
Is this going to happen and will there b a fresh print transfer that will eliminate some of the colour issues that is plagued with the laserdisc and dvd release in certain parts of the film. that is a bit distracting.
If James Cameron participated with the new film transfer, you can expect the entire movie to be given a teal-and-orange makeover.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Cinescott said:
Personally, I wouldn't care what cut it ends up being as long as I am not collecting Social Security when it happens.
Too late for me on that account...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's amazing to me that this community has been looking for an updated presentation of The Abyss since before I became a member!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks