Any word on HK AVR-325 price drop?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Justin Friedman, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Justin Friedman

I know OneCall had the HK AVR-325 receiver for a great price in July before they abruptly ended the promotion. Any of you insiders heard about a potential price drop for this unit soon? How often does HK update their lineup with new models? Most companies do it in the fall so I'm sort of hoping HK will follow suit. Going back through almost every thread about this receiver I noticed the standard "really good" price was around $550 in November of 2002. This still holds true today, with the exception of Etronics who has it for $509. Still, how come the price hasn't come down on this unit? Anyone know if it will? I want to get it but I don't want to price match it at Circuit City and find out 31 days later someone has it online for $100 less. That OneCall deal was great, I'm so upset I missed it. If any of you work for them tell them to do it again : )

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I wish I could answer all of your questions ... but, my crystal ball isn't working too well today.

3. Justin Friedman

Yeah, the price has gone down in the big retail sector but not anywhere else since last year, save that OneCall deal. As for Circuit City, they're really good at price matching as long as it's not momandpop.com or something. Especially if the online price is from an authorized dealer. If the price doesn't go down on the AVR-325 soon I think I'll try to get Circuit City to match the $509 from Etronics and then take off 10% of the difference. It also depends on who you speak to. Just go back later if someone denies you or go to a different store. Most of the time they confirm the price by going on the net in the store but sometimes they don't

4. Wayne Ernst

Justin, Thanks for the update. 6th Ave. has the AVR-525 for $574.99. Might be good to have CC match this and give the 10%. Getting a new AVR-525 for under $550 (plus tax) might not be too shabby. I've heard that 6th Ave. isn't an authorized vendor for HK, but your mileage may vary.

Then again, I'm not even sure if Etronics is an "authorized" vendor for all the gear they sell. I've heard they are not.

Also, do you have any oppositions to refurbished gear? There's always the AVR-325Z from OnCall for $38#.## plus shipping - which isn't such a bad price either. Also, yesterday, OneCall had an AVR-525Z that had been an "open box" item with a scratch on the face of the receiver. The price was $399.00 + shipping. I'm not sure how bad the scratch was, but it sold quickly ... and depending on where someone was going to place it, the scratch might not even be noticed. Oh well, best of luck to you.

5. Justin Friedman

Yeah, I thought about the 525 but I hate fan noise and that unit apparently gets really loud and thinks it's hot all the time. Just not something I want to deal with for 2o watts more per channel I don't need : )

6. Wayne Ernst

The fan that's used in the AVR-525 might be a standard 80mm fan that's used for computer power supplies. There are several places now that sell "nearly silent" fans for this purpose. If the sound became too big of an issue, you might be able to perform a little "modification" to get around the fan issues with a newer, quieter fan.

7. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Boy Justin, you must have a much better Circuit City than I do. They wouldn't come close to price matching my HK 320 last year...and this was with another local authorized vendor, Fry's. They claimed they called Fry's and the product wasn't in stock, so they wouldn't match it. I got mad, drove 35 minutes to Fry's and bought it there. So I'll only buy music and DVD's at Circuit City if there's a good sale.

As far as new product, I had some written conversation with HK support and he said based on past performance and product life cycles look for something in the next 9 months. But he didn't have any info on any new products in the near future.

By the way CC shows the 325 online for $569. Also, both the 325 and 525 have a fan. Maybe its quieter on the 325?

8. CodyL

CodyL Extra

I tried to get the Circuit City to match Fry's (both within ten minutes of each other) on an HK reciever and the guy told me Fry's sells refurbs and doesn't tell you it is refurbed. Now, in Texas that situation is illegal under the deceptive trade practices act (either illegal to sell refurbs as new - or illegal to use false or misleading information to disparage another competitor). I suspect that the salesperson was just an idiot - typical retail salesperson. Anyway, it was on the 225 so I was really just gauging his response for future purchases and didn't really care.

If you look at the posts on the 320 and 520 from last year, you will see that in November through January people started getting the 320 and 520 severely discounted (520 went for like $399). I suspect the same will be true this year, as the economy on consumer electronics is still soft.

9. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Cody,

I doubt CC claims about Fry's selling refurb for new, but you should always check to see if the serial number on the box matches the unit you bought. Harman Audio refurb products have a "Z" in the model name, displayed on the box. Most refurb units also have a circle with an "X" in it, near the serial number. hope this helps.

JohnS

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I bought my 320 from Fry's and it was definitely not refurbished. I think the CC guy was trying to mislead you. In fact, I don't think I've seen any refurb HK's there.