What's new

Any word on Gomer Pyle? (1 Viewer)

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was due out sometime this month, has anyone heard what the delay is?
I'm really looking forward to getting this show on dvd.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Wish I knew what was going on with a release of GP. This now marks the third Paramount classic that has quitely fallen off the "supposed" (i.e. not official, but seemingly solid) release schedule we were originally told to watch for (the other two being "Wild, Wild West" and "Perry Mason" - both tentatively scheduled for a February release).

Gary "and the real killer is that I want all three of those Paramount classics" O.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Maybe they'll all be coming out with other great Paramount shows like The Untouchables, The Fugitive, Hawaii Five-0, Our Miss Brooks, The Millionaire, December Bride, The Invaders, etc., etc., etc. Or more likely not.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I certainly have no inside info, but could it be that Paramount is waiting to finish off the classic titles they are releasing now (Lucy, Griffith et al) before introducing a new batch?

Aside from playability problems, one thing I think has hurt Universal's releases is that they glutted the market with too many classic titles at one time. Therefore it's usually one and done for their shows. Paramount at least releases the entire run unless sales are horrible or music rights pop up.

Steve "Like my friend Gary I'm also waiting for Perry Mason" O

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Many of Paramount's "unofficial releases" are delayed. There seems to be a lot of confusion there since the restructering began.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Dave, thanks for the update. Do you mean the restructuring that occurred a year ago when Paramount said they were going to open the TV vaults or is there something more recent that I missed?

It sounds like Paramount's announcement that they were going to be more aggressive might have been a tad bit premature.

Whatver the situation, hopefully it will get straightened out soon. The Lucy, Griffith, Brady Bunch etc franchises will be fully out on DVD before too long and hopefully something is in the pipeline to replace them.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm talking about the recent stuff with Paramount TV becoming part of CBS, and then UPN merging with The WB: this and this. It seems to be affecting home video to some degree; we're not sure how much yet.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, that's discouraging news. Paramount has three properties that I was expecting to see in the 1st quarter: Gomer Pyle, Perry Mason, and Wild, Wild West. With not even a sniff of an actual release date, it now appears none of these will be out before April (and I believe the latest news on WWW has it being delayed until June or July). Too bad.

Gary "I can't figure Paramount out - they put wonderful shows like TAGS on an extreme fasttrack, but then shows like the three mentioned above seem to get caught in pipeline" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks