Any word on Cemetery Man R1?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_R, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I'm DYING to get this film. I haven't seen it in years and MUST have it.

Anyone?

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

It's one of a small handful of films that October Films licensed to Fox Video for VHS release (the others were two Mike Leigh movies -- SECRETS AND LIES and CAREER GIRLS, and Matthew Harrison's KICKED IN THE HEAD). I don't know if they still have the rights to that package; outside of an early sublicense Fox made to Image for the Leigh films, none of these have been seen on DVD lately.

October has morphed into Focus Features, and is owned by Universal. They do seem to be dipping into the back catalog they had previously licensed to other companies -- Uni has announced THE WAR ROOM for upcoming release, and the previously unavailable THE CELEBRATION is upcoming too. So the safe thing is to petition Universal for a CEMETARY MAN DVD.

3. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

Yeah, I'll sign the petition all the way!

Dellamorte Dellamore is really cool. A very unique movie!

4. Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek Stunt Coordinator

FOX has Cemetary Man and i think its almost definite that it will be licensed out, rumors are to Anchor Bay, since Fox reported that if they dont get to it this Halloween, they will license it out.

5. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering when another 'Cemetary Man' thread would pop up, Adam!
    Seriously, I'm suprised you haven't gotten an all-region player and bought the Medusa Italian DVD of "Dellamorte Dellamore" yet. I picked it up a couple of months ago, and it's a great transfer, with Italian and English audio. However, the extras (commentary, featurette) are all in Italian with no subtitles.
    HKFlix.com is where I purchased the disc, and they also have a selection of all-region DVD players if you're interested.

6. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Thanks for all the info. I really don't want to buy a region free player. I love the one I have.

Thanks again!

7. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

I really don't want to buy a region free player. I love the one I have

I think you should consider a divorce

I never understand people saying they're "dying" to see something but at the same time want to keep a hold of an outdated piece of technology (a DVD player that doesn't play the best available DVDs).

Your DVD player is only a way of watching films. Nothing more.

8. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

The Medusa DVD is definitely great. Outstanding pic quality on it. I adore this film by the way. The best zombie film there is, and one of my top 10 favorite films of all time.

9. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Daniel - I have a new and moderately expensive DVD player, and I can't justify replacing it for one movie. It is in no way outdated technology. Cemetery Man is the ONLY movie I am dying to have that is available PAL only.

Say I buy it anyway, I know I can strip the region encoding out and burn a region free copy, but can I make it NTSC from PAL? I'd buy it if I knew I could make a decent copy from it. And it's legal since I've actually bought the film.

Anyone?

Wrong forum? Don't ban me please.

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Yes, it's legal but not real practical. It takes a lot of time and several pieces of software to convert a PAL disc to NTSC. Are you sure your player won't play PAL out of the box? Lots of R1 players will convert PAL just fine. In that case you could strip the region coding, the unnecessary audio and subtitles and you'd have to do very little compression (if any).

I can't imagine though that there's only one film that you want from another region.

11. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I picked up a Cyberhome 300 player for $35 so I could get some stuff from Asia and Europe.
    SO far I have gotten Drive and Delicatessen, Dellamorte Dellamore is next on the list.
    PS: the CH300 is an awesome player!

12. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I think I'll buy the disc out of love for the film, and just burn a region free backup. Hopefully my DVD player will play it.

Just to be safe, is there more than one version of the DVD? If so, which is best?

Thanks for all the input!

13. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

The best version is the Italian Medusa disc (as I linked to above).

The German edition is pretty good but I'm afraid it doesn't come close to the Italian release. There's a Spanish release I think but that's not great.

Shipping from Italian stores tends to be expensive. So you might want to think about a co-buy (www.dvd.it have it) or try www.xploitedcinema.com

I must just say, the Italian disc has a beautiful image. It's also entirely uncut.

I have some screen grabs somewhere. I'll post them if I can find them.

14. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

^THANKS!

15. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

17. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

18. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

If those screen-grabs are properly done, there's no comparison... Medusa remains the superior option by quite a margin.

And that's what I've been waiting for (and waiting, and waiting...). Does anyone know if there's a better deal than xploited?