any word on Bringing Up Baby or Criterion Spellbound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george kaplan, Jun 9, 2002.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Both of these were rumored, a while back, for June releases, but alas, here it is June and no word. Spellbound, unless I'm missing it, seems to have completely disappeared from the Criterion web site. Just hoping someone had heard something positive about either of these.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I think (but don't quote me) that Spellbound has been pushed back until late this year or early next year. Never heard anything about Bringing Up Baby, unfortunately... [​IMG]

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I did hear that BRINGING UP BABY was being restored and would make it to DVD by 2003. I don't remember where I read it, it was probably somewhere in this forum!
    I hope it happens, BABY is one of my favorite comedies.

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Bringing Up Baby probably needs a full Lowry Digital Images digital restoration.

The print on TCM looks awful...and that's the newest laserdisc transfer. It's washed out, dirty, and all other kinds damage. (Although, it does look like a nitrate print!)

I'd love a DVD of this movie...it's rightly called one of the best screwball comedies.

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I have a VHS of Bringing Up Baby that I bought about 4 years ago which looks quite marvelous...(it was put out by Turner)....if they use that transfer, I wouldn't think there would be much cleaning up necessary.

Of course, VHS ain't DVD, but this was the best I have ever seen the film, including full size revival house projections back in the 70's.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

According to a recent email from Jon Mulvany, Spellbound is still on the slate. Not sure when exactly though.

8. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Just recently I saw a nearly-pristine print of Brining Up Baby at a screening for a class that my friend teaches at USC. He gave me a call since I had never seen this wonderful film before. The print was really pretty flawless, so I think a quality DVD could be produced with little effort/expense.
    - Guy

9. Klaus Stukator

Klaus Stukator Auditioning

Bringing Up Baby is available as an R2 collector's edition from Editions Montparnasse (France).
    http://www.editionsmontparnasse.fr/
    Don't know about the transfer of this particular title, but several of their other RKO catalog titles are in excellent condition, e.g. Angel Face and The Big Sky.