Any word on any of these Kurosawa titles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian E, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about any of these Akira Kurosawa titles coming to DVD? I'm aware that most of them are available as $8 Mei Ah releases, but have heard those make Madacy stuff look decent.

Bad Sleep Well The

Dodeskaden (Criterion???)

Drunken Angel

Ikiru (Criterion???)

Kagemusha (Fox???)

Lower Depths The

Most beautiful The

No Regrets For Our Youth

One Wonderful Sunday

Record of a Living Being

Red Beard (Criterion???)

Sanshiro Sugata

Sanshiro Sugata II

Stray Dog

They Who Step On Tiger's Tail

Throne of Blood, The (Criterion???)

Thanks for any info.
  2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dec 11, 2000
    Brian, Madadayo is available on dvd from Fox Lorber. I can't comment on the quality as I don't have the disc. Criterion has mentioned Dodes'ka-den but I haven't heard anything recently. I know CC released laser discs of Red Beard, Stray Dog, Throne of Blood, The Bad Sleep Well, and Ikiru, so there's hope there. I believe Warner has Dreams and they've said nothing about it. As for the others, who knows?
  3. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

Sep 2, 2001
    Can anyone who owns one or more of the Mei Ah releases comment on them? Seeing as how at best we'll have Rashomon, Dodes'ka-den, and Ikiru by the end of 2002, I was thinking of picking a few up. I mean, they can't be that bad...right?
  4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Feb 22, 2000
    The Madadayo disc is pretty good, given the films stage-like use of lighting, sets, and color.
    DodesKaDen and Ikiru should come out later this year from Criterion. Hopefully Throne of Blood will as well.
    Kagemusha is owned by Fox, but I don't think they are in any hurry to get it out. Dreams is owned by Warner.
    Throne of Blood, Sanshiro Sugata, Ikiru, Sanjuro, Hidden Fortress and one other are coming out as SE's in France in a couple of months. Unfortunately, no English subtitles.