Any word on an Apocalypse Now 25th Anniversary Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kain_C, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

The great film was made in 1979. This could be a 3 disc set.

Disc 1 and 2 would contain (not in any order):
    -Original and Redux version
    -Remastered versions of bother versions (sound/video)
    -Commentaries by Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Sheen, Laurence Fishburne, AND Robert Duvall and other cast and crew members
    -Deleted and outtake scenes
    -Blooper reels
    -A very in-depth interview with Francis Ford Copolla
    -Past and Present interviews with major cast and crew (also present interviews with some of Coppola's family to provide insight on how his mental and emotional state was back then)
    -Cast test footage
    -New hindsight documentaries
    -All trailers and teasers

Disc 3 would contain:
    -Eleanor Coppola's masterful documentary HEARTS OF DARKNESS: A FILMMAKER'S APOCALYPSE
    -Director's commentary on documentary
    -Deleted scenes from documentary
    -Interviews about the documentary
    -Documentary about the documentary (hehehe)

2. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Hell yeah. i'd buy it. I'd buy it just for Hearts of Darkness.

3. Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss Stunt Coordinator

Dave Simkiss
    I'd sell my soul for that.

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The only thing that would be even cooler is if they included the legendary 5 1/2-hour original cut on this.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I don't think Redux needs to me remastered; however, the original version definitely needs it.

Yes, bring it all on!

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Hearts of Darkness and a Francis Ford Copolla commentary on the same disc...

ha! Good one! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    How about a Francis Ford Copolla commentary ON Hearts of Darkness? [​IMG]

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

How about OAR?

9. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

How about OAR?
    ---------

good one!

10. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

That´s what I would call a Special Edition! Count me in. If that ever happens it´s going to be the most anticipated SE to come out. Sadly, I just don´t think it´ll happen, though.

11. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

yeah, 2.35:1 aspect ratio is the thing i wanna have including great sound & picture [​IMG] the rest would be nice extras to me [​IMG]

12. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I've heard both Coppola and Walter Murch say that it was a sure thing that there would eventually be a Special Edition of Apocalypse Now. However, there's very little chance that the disc will include HEARTS OF DARKNESS for simple reasons of copyright and / or because Coppola is (allegedly) embarrassed by it.

13. Rosscoe M

Rosscoe M Extra

Don't forget an audio comm. by Peter Cowie who wrote the great Apocalypse Now Book. And, with the outtakes, ya gotta have some scenes with Harvey Keitel as Willard...this Spec. Edition would be awesome!

14. troy

troy Auditioning

I'll definitely buy this set.

15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Coppola does fantastic audio commentaries; I would love to have a solo track, as well as a track with Coppola and cast and crew members.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    It also would be nice to get commentary comments from screenwriter John Milius. From my point of view he saved the project from sinking into chaos.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am all four this SE eventually and that would make it at least 4 commentaries with everybody involved

sounds wonderful

18. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I've been hoping for an Apocalypse Now special edition ever since Paramount released the barebones Redux disc. I was pleased though that they fit the entire film on one disc without a break while having excellent audio and video quality.

If Paramount were to finally give Apocalypse Now a special edition and include both cuts of the film as well as Hearts of Darkness I doubt they would be able to keep it on just three discs. There's probably about an hour of deleted footage not included in Redux and tons of additional interview footage for Hearts of Darkness. Since Paramount does not release many multi-disc sets, I doubt this will happen. [​IMG]

19. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    I have to point out a slight factual error: the documentary film Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is generally credited to George Hickenlooper and Fax Bahr rather than Eleanor Coppola. While she was responsible for much of the footage taken on location in the Phillipines in 1976/1977, she was neither a writer nor producer on the project. Referring to the film using her name in a possessive sense ("Eleanor Coppola's documentary") gives an incorrect impression; Hickenlooper and Bahr were MUCH more responsible for the actual 1991 documentary film, which utilized Coppola's documentary footage within it. Also she was an interviewee in the film, more than an interviewer (one could say she was an interviewer of sorts in the original documentary footage, though). Giving sole credit to Mrs. Coppola at the expense of Hickenlooper and Bahr is unfair.

I would venture to say that the film's DVD release is probably being held up due to the very fact that she was responsible for a lot of the film footage on which the documentary is constructed upon, and the lawyers have yet to come to a full agreement with American Zoetrope over a number of items related to rights issue.

Regarding the aspect ratio issue, I figure if cinematographer Vittorio Storaro is most comfortable with a 2.20:1 aspect ratio for the film (the same as the film's original 70mm engagements), then I don't have a problem with it. He's signed off on that aspect ratio at least twice now, so that's most likely the way he and Coppola want the film to be seen, and that's their right as artists (and you just don't argue with Storaro, I'm sorry).

20. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

From what I understand, Coppola constantly rewrote Milius while he was onset, so much so that not much of what Milius wrote is really in there. I think Kilgore and the beach scenes are really all that's left of Milius' stuff.

I remember Milius being upset with Coppola at the time, and REALLY upset with what the movie turned out, especially considering how he and George Lucas initially envisioned it.

...actually, taking that into account, it WOULD be fun to hear Milius talking over the movie. "That fat hippie fucked this shit ALL to hell right here. Jesus. I can't watch.."

[​IMG]