What's new

Any word on a Sling Blade re-release? (1 Viewer)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
"She tells the awfulest story 'bout why you're not allowed at the First Baptist Church no more..."

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the Criterion Laserdisc of Sling Blade. If you have a laserdisc player, pick this up! This is an absolutely fantastic laser with a pretty good transfer and some excellent extras (the Billy Bob commentary is great).

If you've got the means, this will definately hold you over until an SE arrives.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I broke down yesterday and bought the DVD that is out now. I have not seen the movie in almost two years and never in it's OAR. The disc is terrible in the video department and not a bad Dolby Surround track. It's better than not watching this great movie at all but I still want a nice anamorphic transfer.
We will probably get a SE now since I broke down and spent the cash on the original crappy DVD release.:angry: Yes I'll still buy it.:b

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
the DVD Short Cinema Journal Issue #1 has the "Some People call it a Sling blade" short with Molly Ringwald. It can be had for $10 online. I have had a copy for a few years.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I don't think the video is bad at all. What kind of dvd player are you using and what type of monitor?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The video on the title twitches badly for me. I've experienced this on several older DVDs (I mentioned it in regards to BLAZING SADDLES a few times). I noticed it somewhat with my old stand alone player and 32 inch TV-- but it is horrible with a HTPC and 6 foot wide screen!

I'm wondering if no one else saw this video twitch. I would be willing to chalk it up to poorly flagged discs causing problems with a HTPC DVD playback system- but I saw the problem on discs like JFK and Blazing Saddles on my older Panasonic stand alone player?

Anyone else notice the video kinda jump every couple frames in a few scenes? I could probably post some specific timecodes where it is the worst-- but on my system it makes the movie border on unwatchable.

-Vince

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
We now have Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Goodfellas, and King of Comedy all in the works, but still no news regarding an SE of this fantastic movie!
:angry:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Any updates kids??
I'd very much like to replace my 2 VHS tapes (Sling Blade + the "Some Folks..." VHS) with an SE/CE DVD edition.
I still cannot figure out why, oh why(?), the current Sling Blade DVD (which is BARER than BARE; lacking even a Trailer, and NOT kid-tested @ 16x9!:)) has a MSRP of $29.99!?? And even with the initial price reductions from the MSRP, we're forced to dole out around $20 for this release. Seems curious to me.
A future Sling Blade Special Edition could have the film (anamorphic, natch) and everything that is on the current "Some Folks" DVD, plus other goodies of undetermined variety I suppose. That'd be sweet.
Re. the current Some Folks DVD: Anybody know HOW the http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=82122029101886&item_id=44011
44011t.jpg

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Somebody break the tie......
Robert G. states:
I don't think the video is bad at all. What kind of dvd player are you using and what type of monitor?
Anybody else have this disc?
What is it....Good or Bad??
I'm writing a stern letter to Congress, requesting a "Sling Blade SE" (mmm, hmmm!) bill be passed asap. :)

Andy_MT

Second Unit
it's not good. it's not bad. it's in between.

it has a reasonbly film like appearance, and it's in the lower end of the top tier of non-enhanced DVDs, but it's just not anything to get excited about. it's about the quality of the english patient DVD (if i remember correctly).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It adequate. It's non-anamorphic, but a decent presentation. After starting this thread about a year and a half ago, I did buy the disc and have watched it a couple of times. I'm glad I did so since there still hasn't been any word at all about a SE.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
DVD: Anybody know HOW the running time of 78 minutes (as listed by DVDEmpire) can possibly be accurate? The VHS is only 42 min. total (including the Making Of). Don't tell me those "Bonus Trailers" on there add up to 36 minutes?
Anybody have an answer to this?
------------
Self-Edit........
Never mind. I found out what the other big chunk of this DVD is. .....
• "The Evolution of Sling Blade: A Director's P.O.V." documentary (27 min.). (I guess the bonus trailers add up to the other 9 minutes.)
That's a fairly decent-sized length for a behind-the-scenes documentary. Can somebody chime in with a review of this extra DVD feature? (Thanx.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Along similar "Buena Vista" lines .... Who can tell me how Ransom ranks on the DVD PQ scale (1 to 10)? Once more, it's a "B.V." non-anamorphic title, which makes me leary of its quality.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
David, if you can, go for the region 2 of Ransom. infinitely better than the region 1 (ie good anamorphic), and has extras (inc commentary).

Andy_MT

Second Unit
David, you're in the ballpark. it's not the worst i've seen but i really can't recommend it when the region 2 is so much better (in every department). recommend you save your money until the spec. edition comes out in region 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks