Any word on a re-release for Badlands ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Is there any word on Warner re-releasing Terrence Malick's Badlands?
    The transfer is anamorphic, but I hear it's pretty ho-hum.
    Can someone give me their opinion on the transfer before I spend $20 on this DVD?

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

There's a slightly grainy texture and a fair few nicks and scratches (only small ones, though), but sharpness and detail is very good, colours are bright and stable and only a bare minimum of edge enhancement (if any at all). No, it's hardly reference quality, but it's all perfectly watchable (to say the least) and I'm very happy with the DVD.
    The chances of a SE re-release of a Malick film are about nil (even with simply a new transfer), and it's such a extraordinary, entracing, almost hypnotic film, you should go and pick it up the first chance you get.
    The 5.1 won't exactly blow you out of your chair, but it increases the soundstage for all the wonderful music, which is all I hoped for.
    Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I have to agree with your assessment of the film Jon, it's a true classic. Malick is one of my favourite directors. Let's hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for his next film.

The transfer sounds like it's good enough.

Actually, part of me is relieved that there's no word on a re-release - this way I don't have to wait for this film to be in my collection.