What's new

Any word on "A Chistmas Carol" 1938 MGM (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just to give you my take on "A Christmas Carol", I thought the dvd presentation was splendid.

Crawdaddy

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The BOYS TOWN disc is superb, as are all three in the Warner Home Video HOLIDAY COLLECTION boxed set which I got on sale on Friday at Tower.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL nearly sparkles, it looks so good. This is an exceptionally well-made and beautifully produced motion picture. No doubt having Joseph Makiewicz as producer was a factor in the excellence.

I know the shown-to-death-due-to-PD Alastair Sim version is preferred by many, but I'll take the MGM version in a heartbeat, and the presentation here is exceptional, with the neat extras that were on the laserdisc, the especially timely PEACE ON EARTH (1939) MGM cartoon which is moving and stunning, the great MGM promo short THE CHRISTMAS PARTY, where an 11 year old Jackie Cooper gets the entire stable of MGM luminaries (except Garbo, of course) to host a Christmas celebration on an MGM soundstage. Last but not least, is a 15 year old Judy Garland singing SILENT NIGHT from a 1937 special film sent to theaters.

The rest of the titles in the collection are equally superb,
as is usually the case from the Warner people.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
For the heck of it -
my favorite Christmas CArols -
The george C. Scott television version
Mr. Magoos Christmas Carol -= becaue of the wonderful songs byJule Styne and Bob Merrill.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like it's a keeper,and the forum members that wanted the LD extra's got their wish. Nice! I checked Walmart, BB and CC. No one has it yet:frowning:

Mark VH

Second Unit
Good to hear that this version looks so great. I'll be ordering the collection from Amazon in the next couple of days or so.

Am curious, though, has anyone seen the VCI "Special Edition" of the Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol (with both B&W and Colorized prints)? If so, how's the PQ? I know that VCI is one of the better vendors of PD titles, and Best Buy has a bunch of these stocked at $10, so I was thinking of picking it up along with the Warners set.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's worth getting just for the colorized version. (flame suit on). I agree with most that the B&W version is the true must have, but having the colorized version included is a great plus! It's now a part of the film's history and may not be available again. Get it while you can!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I checked Walmart Best Buy, Borders, and Circuit City, and there are none to be had.

One young BB guy looked high and low, ultimately deciding that if they had it, it would be in the comedy section.

Harry

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting to note that this film had been slated to star Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge, but his quickly advancing arthritis forced him to relinquish the role to Reginald Owen. However, he does do an introduction via trailer. Why? In the Thirties, Lionel Barrymore made his radio performance of "A Christmas Carol" an annual holiday tradition, like Bing Crosby's specials on TV years later. So when he couldn't play Scrooge onscreen, MGM wisely alleviated the disappointment of millions by having Mr. Barrymore do an onscreen to give his blessing to Mr. Owen (whose casting was Barymore's idea) in the film's trailer. Mr. Barrymore's noble gesture would be repaid eight years later when he played a pivotal role in another holiday classic- It's A Wonderful Life, as the infamous Mr. Potter.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
It's time for my annual plug for the 1935 version of SCROOGE starring Sir Seymour Hicks. This one definitely belongs in the company of both the 1938 and the 1951 versions. Watch this one. You'll thank me.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does the b/w and color version of the Sim Carol have the opening seconds where the books in the library are shown before the hand reaches for Dickens? And are the fade outs present?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I too have always loved the 1938 version. But I just wish it was longer! Excising the bits with Scrooge's first love, and the poignant renunciation scene (present in just about every other version I can think of) was IMO a mistake that robs the film of some of its potential power. Other than that it is meticulously produced and always puts me in the Christmas mood (even though Ann Rutherford's headgear as the Spirit of Christmas Past is just plain silly.) A great dvd I have previewed, but am wating for Thanksgiving to give it a real spin.

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
For those still looking for a copy locally. I finaly found some at Target of all places. They were priced wrong at $9.99 but rung up at $14. I got it for $9.99:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks